GHK G5 First Impressions.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot to share you some pictures of my new paintjob:   And even if it's not 100% linked, I finished my new loadout video with which main gun? The SRU GHK G5 of course! You can see the G5 durin

So with  GHK G5 in my hands its time for a quick first impressions. This will be a bit of a wall of text as my camera was not paying ball, nor do I own a photo studio like just about everyone on the A

Posted Images

Want a new GBBR for friends to shoot in the garden. Will probably go through a máximum of 2.000 rounds a year. 30-35º Celsius weather. I do NOT want to have to open any GBBR I buy.

Should I get the GHK G5, WE 416 or WE G39K?

Thanks!

@chas:

If you don't want to open any GBBR, you shouldn't buy any GBBR.

GBBRs need love, they want to be taken care of....  ;)

If real firearms need to be lubricated and cleaned, why should a replica deserve anything else?

Regarding the question, which one to pick, i'd say go for the G5. I had both, the G39 and the G5 and i personally like the G5 more.

The G39 is a nice airsoft, but while firing it, it sounds more like tupperware(is that even a word in english?). Means it sounds much more like plastic, than the G5. Both will never sound as good, as a fullmetal GBBR, like the WE SCAR, or anything like that, but in exchange for that, you get much better cooldown-resistence with plastic, than with metal.

So i would vote for the G5.

Well, being as I'm a gun hoe and can't keep my guns down.

I picked up one of the GHK G5 again, had a 2013 long long ago,  but have a 2014 version now.

Just ordered a Hep - Charging handle, and some spare mag parts.

Love the gun already, running an AEG buffer tube on it this time. - Had to polish the bottom of the bolt though, seems the welding job done was pretty bad on my bolt... A lot smoother now, but might keep going at it to get rid of the welding marks. Pictures to follow.

----

Also consider the G5 is light, and easy to maneuver with.. the parts are widely available @ WGC and super cheap. You state you don't want to "Open" up an gbbr, but you have to for maintenance.. else just get a pellet gun.

Want a new GBBR for friends to shoot in the garden. Will probably go through a máximum of 2.000 rounds a year. 30-35º Celsius weather. I do NOT want to have to open any GBBR I buy.

Should I get the GHK G5, WE 416 or WE G39K?

Thanks!

Would take GHK G5 any day of the year, I bet you would end up taking it to game and it being your primary. :P

I thought you mean PMAG Ranger isn't it...?

At first it didn't work (Real Steel ranger plates on G5 PMAG), but then I tried again, I had to push a bit harder, but they worked on all three of my G5 magazine.

They don't go in 100%, but they go in about 95% of the way.

• Like 1

Here you go:

http://en.safarasoftair.com/ghk-kac-personal-defense-weapon

I've got this one as well and I believe it's a Gen2 version with fixed hop-up. It's quite gas efficient, it makes a lot of noise and it kicks harder than my G&P M4A1 with steel bolt carrier, so I love it. Also, some spare parts can be bought here:

http://fg-airsoft.com/en/5-parts-for-ghk-pdw

If you order from Safarasoftair, keep in mind that it comes with a orange flashhider. It's a 14mm CCW if I remember correctly, so replacing it won't be a problem.

Here you go:

http://en.safarasoftair.com/ghk-kac-personal-defense-weapon

I've got this one as well and I believe it's a Gen2 version with fixed hop-up. It's quite gas efficient, it makes a lot of noise and it kicks harder than my G&P M4A1 with steel bolt carrier, so I love it. Also, some spare parts can be bought here:

http://fg-airsoft.com/en/5-parts-for-ghk-pdw

If you order from Safarasoftair, keep in mind that it comes with a orange flashhider. It's a 14mm CCW if I remember correctly, so replacing it won't be a problem.

Thx!

I'm gonna email 'em to ask what version it is before I buy because I'm looking for the 2013 adjustable hop up version.

• 10 months later...

Just did a VSR mod to a G5, in response to G5 losing hop from green gas/lubrication use and a deformed hop lip.

Works well, much better consistency than the stock rubber. FPS is around the same, 340fps on .25g at 22*C.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures.

Basically:

1) modify the GHK barrel to VSR type with a dremel and a metal cutting disc, from the AEG form into this:  (you can use a lathe also, Or just buy a barrel)

19497_0.jpg

2) Bore out the hop unit with a 10mm Milling bit and use your hands to bore it out(I used a drill bit but the GHK hop unit material is really flexible so I switched to a milling bit, I frequently use the 10mm bits for VSR conversions)

3) Using a 10mm dremel grinding bit, polish out the hop unit.

4) Cut off the side tab off the VSR hop rubber with a dremel and a grinding bit/cutting disk, making the hop rubber round.

5) Add the barrel retention tab onto barrel and put hop rubber onto barrel

6) Watching the alignment, push the barrel/hop rubber into hop unit, until the retention tab touches the barrel  (if it doesn't fit easily, go back to step 3) 

7) Check alignment of hop area to the hop nub window.  If alignment has issues, remove the hop and barrel and repeat 6)

8) The VSR hop rubber forward portion is longer than the normal hop rubber, so the rubber that is stick out of the hop unit will need to be cut and grinded back to the plastic, using a dremel and a cutting disc.

9) Reassemble the hop unit. Set the hop  to lowest and put the hop nub on.  You will notice that the hop lever may be pushing down too much on some rubbers (Marui etc) but fine on flat hops.

10)  if the hop is pushing down to much, take the hop lever apart and file the rear part down (the round surface that sits over the hop dial).  Reassemble hop unit and test again.

11) Reassemble the gun, test fire at range (50m) set hop up and zero the gun.

And you should be done.

Because I have cut the VSR hop rubber about 3mm back, its no longer a true VSR hop rubber and can no longer be used on a VSR or a Marui pistol etc, but since it retains the advantages of the VSR hop and has a fantastic seal to the bolt, it is well worth it.

We were getting out to 60m with the VSR hop. TBH the Stock hop was not bad either, but small amounts of lubricants and water would affect its accuracy, which the VSR hop is a bit more tolerant of.  As I was saying the reason we did this was because the GHK hop rubber lip decided to flip inwards for no reason and jams BBs and negatively affects FPS even though taking it apart there was no reason why that was to happen.

Wish i could do the same thing to AEGs...airseal issues plague my JG G3 to no end and VSR hops are much more accepting of movement and tolerance issues.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

I am sure it should be pretty simple to VSR hop the existing GHK M4 unit if the G5 wasn't "much" work.  I just need a guinea pig (looking at my friends' GHKs)

Most work was ensuring the VSR hop rubber fitted into the bored out hop unit as when I used a drill, it enlarged the material temporarily but shrink as soon as the drill was removed.  Never had that issue on the VFC MP5s or M4s when I did this mod.