GHK G5 First Impressions.

As I mentioned before, I had issues with the green g&g hop bucking in my g5. It'll shoot the first bb chambered manually...the next shots would be a dry fire...followed by the bb rolling out of the barrel. It was odd.

I stuck the stock bucking back and voila...problem solved.

I got curious about the maple leaf aeg bucking and when the shop had it in stock...I had to try it out.

How many rounds did it take for those buckings to go on you?

No issues with my maple leaf bucking in the G5 yet...i have to put more bbs in the air through that gun.

BTW fox, with the stock hop bucking and nub...at zero hop setting...do .20g bbs overhop? I tinker with gas blowback guns a lot and I make adjustments/modifications as I see fit. On both my G5's, I noticed that on zero hop... the .20g bbs I have overhop. Upon closer inspection...the zero hop setting still allows for the hop adjustment arm to push down on the nub/bucking. Sanding the arm down allowed for me to have zero hop on the zero setting. Yes, hop bucking specs differ across brands which affect gun performance.

If .20gs are over hoping then why not just use a heavier round? Rather than modding the hop arm?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I forgot to share you some pictures of my new paintjob:   And even if it's not 100% linked, I finished my new loadout video with which main gun? The SRU GHK G5 of course! You can see the G5 durin

So with  GHK G5 in my hands its time for a quick first impressions. This will be a bit of a wall of text as my camera was not paying ball, nor do I own a photo studio like just about everyone on the A

Posted Images

Fair enough, just seems odd to drastically change the weapon when one could spend an extra £2 on heavier rounds and remove the issue.

I personally cannot stand .2gs and will not use them in anything bar Moscarts.

Edited by bankz5152

I dont use .20g bbs outside chronoing myself. I also dont use anything over .28g bbs on anything that shoots under 400 fps. I like having zero hop on the zero hop setting. Thats all. Besides...for .20g bbs....spend $2 more forever...or mod. Also depends on what the person likes. :P to each their own :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Are you getting yours soon? :P

If you guys had pricing like some US retailers...Im sure you'd have grabbed one. Thanksgiving sale of 35% off on airsplat...they have the GHK G5 listed at $290..less 35% would put it at $188.50 USD.....spare mags are 35% off too so the $50 mag....dips down to $32.50 or 3 spare mags for the price of 2!!! or a G5 with 3 spare mags (4 mags total) for the full retail price of a brand new G5....whatta deal!!!

Too bad I already have two GHK G5's with a total of 6 mags....plus I just bought  GHK AKS74U  last week with 6 spare mags.

Hmm...fundage comes in at the end of the week. Maybe I'll get something else. haha!

Jesus thats cheap. I may have a look see!!

Edit - Checked online that works out to £175.00 ex shipping BUT they wont ship to the UK! Holland, Spain but not the UK! I reckon that would make it (if they shipped to the UK) £230.00.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by bankz5152

As I mentioned before, I had issues with the green g&g hop bucking in my g5. It'll shoot the first bb chambered manually...the next shots would be a dry fire...followed by the bb rolling out of the barrel. It was odd.

I stuck the stock bucking back and voila...problem solved.

I got curious about the maple leaf aeg bucking and when the shop had it in stock...I had to try it out.

How many rounds did it take for those buckings to go on you?

No issues with my maple leaf bucking in the G5 yet...i have to put more bbs in the air through that gun.

BTW fox, with the stock hop bucking and nub...at zero hop setting...do .20g bbs overhop? I tinker with gas blowback guns a lot and I make adjustments/modifications as I see fit. On both my G5's, I noticed that on zero hop... the .20g bbs I have overhop. Upon closer inspection...the zero hop setting still allows for the hop adjustment arm to push down on the nub/bucking. Sanding the arm down allowed for me to have zero hop on the zero setting. Yes, hop bucking specs differ across brands which affect gun performance.

I don't know if it overhops, and as mentioned, you shouldn't really use .20s on this gun. Quite honestly, this gun's a bomb with .40s (as with most gas guns). I only use .20s to chrono.

Personally, I don't quite like the hop up adjustment. The pro is that it stays dialed in, but the big con is that it's kinda tricky to adjust. I just leave it at my desired setting, and usually prefer to set it disassembling, because the wheel gets really mangled up when putting pressure on it with a screw driver or whatever.

So, today I broke another bucking, and I think breakage has to do with dry firing! I didn't dry fire at all after the last change of bucking, and the bucking lasted the whole game. Maybe it was just a coincidence. My theory is that the nozzle hitting directly against the bucking is very different than with the BB fillip up and expanding the bucking lips.

Oh, so the G5 uses TM AEG style rubbers?

AEG buckings in general! I thought you had one and knew man!

Edited by Fox62

Nice GGBR collection Snoopy!

Wish I personally knew someone who owned a G5 so I could test it before buying one. I don't think Airsoft World would allow me to fire the gun within their little shop to chrono it. If it's over 350 FPS on Abbey Ultra gas, then it's no good to me for CQB or woodland gaming. I'd like it to be around 330 FPS for CQB.

I had to wait a year before getting to shoot someone's TM MP7 GBB and I'm glad I did. Nothing special as far as I'm concerned. Range was pretty average and it felt a bit awkward/small. I've got pistols that shoot further and are more fun to use. So I saved myself hundreds in the long run by trying it out first.

• Like 1

Double post, BUT..........Tan coloured GHK G5 now on sale at Redwolff HK for $242, which is £150 approx!

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/GBB_Rifles_SMGs_GHK_GHK_G5_Gas_Blow_Back_Rifle_GBBR_TAN.htm

Black version still costs $295 and all mags are still $52, regardless of colour. It's a shame that they've not discounted the black version and the mags too. Still a bargain though!

• Like 1

Nice GGBR collection Snoopy!

Wish I personally knew someone who owned a G5 so I could test it before buying one. I don't think Airsoft World would allow me to fire the gun within their little shop to chrono it. If it's over 350 FPS on Abbey Ultra gas, then it's no good to me for CQB or woodland gaming. I'd like it to be around 330 FPS for CQB.

I had to wait a year before getting to shoot someone's TM MP7 GBB and I'm glad I did. Nothing special as far as I'm concerned. Range was pretty average and it felt a bit awkward/small. I've got pistols that shoot further and are more fun to use. So I saved myself hundreds in the long run by trying it out first.

Maybe the hop up wasn't correctly set? Or the ammo too light? (for the MP7 I mean).

In any case, there's a 1J nozzle for the G5! It's a GREAT gun, with super solid mags (far superior to anything else out there as far as I am concerned). Except for that bucking trouble I've come into, which I'm sure I'll figure out. Nobody else seems to have the problem anyway.

Fox

Ah. G&g bios are bad? Hmmm...never used it. The only bios I really use are biovals.

Well, I'm not sure if they are. But seeing how they are the only ones I haven't used extensively on other platforms, I thought that might be it. But I really doubt it, I'm pretty sure it's the dry firing that causes problems.

I've read a review that says as standard the G5 has an effective range of about 30m and that after that, accuracy is poor.

What's everyone's opinion on their own G5's range and accuracy, compared to say a TM MP7 GBB or similar?

Is this a CQB only gun? For woodland I'd be looking for an effective 50m range.

I also spoke to retailer today who commented that the G5 hadn't impressed much with them, due to jamming and misfeeding......basically that it was fussy on different brands of BB's. Thoughts?

Edited by Ryaw

I doubt they modded the feed lips. Same deal with ghk's ak series.

I modded one of my g5's and that gun shot beautifully.

I have yet to field my other g5 (stock).

If you have access to 134a gas....go with a tm mp7a1...you get 50m range wise out of the box.

I've read a review that says as standard the G5 has an effective range of about 30m and that after that, accuracy is poor.

What's everyone's opinion on their own G5's range and accuracy, compared to say a TM MP7 GBB or similar?

Is this a CQB only gun? For woodland I'd be looking for an effective 50m range.

I also spoke to retailer today who commented that the G5 hadn't impressed much with them, due to jamming and misfeeding......basically that it was fussy on different brands of BB's. Thoughts?

I've played with a DMR for the past two years, so I can spot the good shots. And let me tell you, the G5 has been very impressive so far. Maybe the people who tried it weren't using anything over .3 ammo? As I said before, with most GBBRs, .4's the rule. Furthermore, a barrel upgrade might also work for better accuracy at range, I tried a Prommy ASH with excellent results. But with the stock config, I was getting very good shots at 50m+, with .4s and @ 370 FPS that is.

Fox

Edited by Fox62

Hey does anyone here who's been running the G5 have any impressions of the G5s carbine kit? The initial feel of the gun just didn't really do anything for me but I 'm curious if this kit is a decent addition that may lead me to picking one up or if its just kinda a mess trying to take a PDW style platform and extending it out to a carbine length.

I always use good quality BBs. But for chronoing I use G&G Bio BBs, perhaps those do it?

Altough I don't have a G5 I have an AK-105(2012 version) and as far as I know the feeding system is pretty much the same. So here is my experience with it: it was recommended(I think it was gasguns forums) that you have to widen the maglips a little as they are very tight(using a small file) which seemed to lower the chances of misfeeding. Buckings with longer lips will get damaged as I have tried a few(Im currently using the "new" gray rubber). However I always had problems with 0.3 Madbull BBs. They would always misfeed every 5 rounds or so. I also tried G&G, KSC and Guarder(from 0.25 to 0.4) BBs and never had problems with those.

So I doubt its the BBs, maybe something wasn't reassembled correctly? I once had the barrel lock fell out of its place while reassembling and I didn't notice until I started shooting which resulted the BBs not getting any hop as the whole barrel moved. When I put back it correctly I had no hop up(just rarely) and I couldn't figure it out for a good while as nothing seemed to be damaged or misplaced. But at one disassembly I noticed that my hop-up chamber had a very thin crack which was the result of me shooting without the barrel lock. So one chamber switch later I had no problems at all. So the moral of the story is: look very carefully and have a good lightning while at it. :P

Finbarqs....grab some mags too :)

Zereck. Did you mod your hop units lip by the loading ramp? I didn't have feeding issues with my 74u. Just as u did with my g5, I did dremel work on the bb feed lip so it was easier to load. With the use of a tm loading tool (stick/tube), loading mags is a breeze.

What fps are you getting out of your 105? I got an akm on the way but I kinda want another one...

Mod on my hop unit/bucking per someones tip on ggi...

Posted Image

Initially I had some white residue from bbs hitting the 6 o'clock of the hops opening. After a few mags, it disappeared but I thought...might as well mod it. If I muck it up, just use the akm while waiting for a replacement part. Lol