External Impressions; G&G GKs74u

Hi Guys, I picked up one of the new G&G AKs yesterday and thought you'd like to have a closer look at one. G&Gs track record with AK models has been a bit spotty recently with their RK series with their fragile receivers and overall lack of realism, but I think that these new AKs should at least somewhat make up for the past faults.

MpUeVSh.jpg
 Red mags available separately, gun comes with an otherwise-identical black mag.

pdZjpuP.jpg
 Gorgeous looking wood, this is pretty typical of these models

42dZSn8.jpg
Typical impossible-to-remove-properly sticker! >:( 

xHSNQh3.jpg
These are the only external trades on the gun. 

T5qC4gq.jpg
DAT WOOD! 

bcsKYPJ.jpg
G&G have redesigned the AK74 mag, significantly beefing up the front lug which shears off very easily on older designs. The lug is now much larger as well as made of steel (covered in plastic) 

9KHbBqs.jpg

Rear lug is steel too now.

LbEA8LG.jpg

I can't get enough of that beautiful wood!

nsPuGqR.jpg

Overall shot when the sun came out.

Q1FM9Ce.jpg

standard G&G metal hop unit & gearbox. It's hard to see but the assembly is Guarder/LCT style, more on that later...

Mx2yL80.jpg

I'm in love with that wood!

Now, the externals of the gun certainly look good, and from what I can tell, they should continue to look good for a long time. The receiver is full-steel, as is the top cover, barrel, gas-assembly and receiver-trunnion. The receiver is stamped and welded 2mm steel, The trunnion looks like forged/cast steel block which has then been machined to final shape as it normal for a real AK. The stock is folded and welded steel, again, exactly like the real one. Stock rigidity is excellent, all parts appear to be steel including hinges, release catches etx.

This particular model is battery-in-topcover style like older AKs, which is one of the reasons why I bought it, but the other AKs in the range are the 11.v Battery-foregrip models with pneumatic blowback. Unlike the problematic MP5, the battery contacts on the battery foregrip models are extremely studly gold-plated barrel pins  that are about the same size as the pins and sockets in an RC EC3 connector, so no worries on that end.

The AKs74u is Gen.2 spec with the 16-gauge teflon wiring, upgraded motor and 6.03 tightbore, I believe that the battery-foregrip models are similarly specced.

Now, due to the design and quality of the externals as well as some other similarities (such as the model-names being nearly ldentical to the GHK gas blowback AKs) and G&Gs close cooperation with other Taiwan-based manufacturers, GHK especially, I suspect that these AKs use GHK or LCT AK kits built around G&G internals. The only G&G branding on any of the externals is a G&G rollmark on the inside of the fake bolt.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

102 to 103m/s on a SKAN Chronoscope. Flashider comes off to reveal a large-type AK thread which is grubscrewed in place on a standard 14mm counter-clockwise thread. Inner barrel measured at ~250 mm, I'd guess it's a 247mm barrel.

Despite the newfangled magazines, it's still backwards-compatible with normal Marui-style AK mags.

Edited by Aod

Seems like a good gun... and I hate to admit it, because im a very known G&G hater :lol:

Are the mags mid or hicaps? my cyma midcaps are surprisingly good... despite their tendency to loose the teeth =p

Hicaps now, Midcaps based on the same design will be available soon, apparently.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the externals are LCT. There are some pretty incestuous relationships between quite a few of the manufacturers.

Like the G&G AKMS before, the externals ARE LCT.  Beautiful and solid, but i still prefer VFC's.

Ahahaha, awesome, called it :D

Where's my G&G/LCT AS VAL?

Good question!

Posted · Hidden by Misfit, May 8, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Misfit, May 8, 2013 - No reason given

I think Pro Airsoft Supplies are the only guys who have these in stock in the UK at the moment. :)

Looks like G&G are using LCT externals again, I have the G&G AKMS and love it, tho JDAirsoft sell the LCT NV AKSU for £330 I'd rather go with the LCT over the G&G as its cheaper for the same thing. Plus the NV new version has the LCT gearboxes which are nice and seem well made.