Multitools

JamesKACF

Hi all,

I've been looking for a decent multitool for a little bit now and thought I'd see if any of you had any input. This knife is also going to be used while I am away with the Cadet as well so I need a good quality one.

After a string of fairly useless knives and tools that were dirt cheap (the best knife I have owned has been the Bear Grylls compact scout knife, £20 and sharp as a razor, but its small and is only a knife)  I want something more durable and of good quality, I am willing to spend a bit of cash on it as a decent knife is a bit of an investment.

Anyway I've been looking at SOG multitools and Leathermans as well. But mostly because they are black...    <_<

James

Gerber suspension and compact sport are good value for the money, leatherman for a bit more ££ , if you can, get yourself to a shop , either a camping/hiking style and try a few out, then find your best price online , a good place that is tried and tested is http://www.heinnie.com/Pocket-Tools/c-1-94/ , might also be worth checking out CRKT's line of pocket tools, good value and sturdy products.

I've had a leatherman wave for years that has had extensive use all over the world and I still love it. Got a couple of the Gerber Suspension tools too which I kept in my cars and occasionally comes to skirmishes. In the desert, I found the Wave to have a much better locking system when it comes to sand ingress causing issues. I also found the Wave seems to keep an edge better on the blades.

Nice one.  You know a knife is quality when it gets endorsed by a soldier (I'm guessing seeing as "desert" and "all over the world" came up just then :))

Do you have the plain steel or oxide coated one? Seen a review that said it got "scratched" and I'm trying to figure out if he meant scratches that occur normally through use and just show up more because of the coating or what.......

The word tacticool does spring to mind a little but hey  :rolleyes:

leatherman make lovely tools. it's pricey, but if you dont mind paying for it the charge tti is a lovely bit of kit. it doesn't bring that much extra to the table as opposed to the wave, it's got crimpers, S30V steel blades , a cutting hook on the serrated blade, a micro screwdriver and i think that's about it tool wise. the best thing about it is the titanium handles, they make the tool a bit lighter but more importantly they feel so much nicer in your hand.

I'm an instructor, so a multitool won't be an issue. 

And the rules are fairly flexible  certainly when I was a Cadet, which was up until last year,  some of them had knives that were probably illegal. there were certainly a few 3 1/2" locking blades. That was mostly younger, more immature cadets trying to show off though, the rest of use kept to more reasonable ones like my Bear Grylls knife.

Get a leatherman. I've got 3, and they are ace. My wave I've had since 1999, and its been round the world with me, and still like new.

I also have a MUT, which is a beast, but good for my work, and a squirt PS4 on my keys.

I can't recommend Gerber, had bad luck with them. But also look at victorinox, they get nothing but good reviews too. SOG are also meh to me, at least with their knives. The quality doesn't match the price.

Just get a leatherman! Be aware though, the black oxide finish will wear quickly...

Leatherman Wave in black. Owned an original Leatherman from 1989 until a few years back; got the Wave and I absolutely, positively love it. Leatherman is a great company; the pliers on my 89' model broke in 2005, and they STILL replaced it.

A good investment with the Wave is to pick up the lanyard ring (if it doesn't come with one as part of a expanded set) and use it, especially if you are taking it out into the field.

Black Leathermans like to try and escape at night...

So did you get the Wave, OP?  Somebody got me the classic Leatherman survival tool for my birthday, seems pretty sturdy.

Yeah I got the Wave in black, the thing is built like a tank, very nicely oiled as well.

The one handed opening is a little stiff but that should loosen up a little with use. The blades are scary sharp and the whole thing is very comfortable to use.

All in all I'm very happy with it.

Oh and I got a free Leatherman karabinar tool thingy and it was laser engraved for almost nothing! :D

The issue combi tool can be made slightly more useful for Airsoft if you remove the gas block reamer (drill bit) 

and replace it with a cut down allan key of which ever size (3mm / 2.5mm) fits your scope mounts.

I've been using a Leatherman for a long time, I had a Leatherman Supertool probably 12 years ago

and bought a Black Leatherman Charge about 7 years ago,

the Charge is much more useful as a knife because of the direction which the blades open out,

the supertool blades open towards the inside of the opposite handle so making it hard to cut down onto a

flat surface..

The harder steel of the Charge primary blades holds a better edge longer than the Supertools soft

stainless as well.

The Supertool however is much easier to clean rabbit and fish cuts out of!

Jim

Yeah I got the Wave in black, the thing is built like a tank, very nicely oiled as well.

The one handed opening is a little stiff but that should loosen up a little with use. The blades are scary sharp and the whole thing is very comfortable to use.

All in all I'm very happy with it.

Oh and I got a free Leatherman karabinar tool thingy and it was laser engraved for almost nothing! :D

the blades will loosen up with a bit of use. my skeletool CX was quite stiff at first but i can now do a rather satisfying one handed flick with great ease :) one hand opening blades are the way forward.

Used to like Gerbers, but recently two sets of pliers failed me during light use.  Gerber replaced the Diesel (snapped needlenose tip) with no issues, and I haven't sent the dime (complete lock/hinge failure) yet, but I'm shopping for something more reliable to replace both despite my cheapskate nature.  The whole point of a multttool is that you depend on it when your toolbox isn't around, a lifetime warranty isn't much use in the field.  

In their defense I got to fondle the pricey Downrange Tomahawk, and it's a pretty awesome hard-use multitool of sorts.  

Archived