L22A1 based

crash0744

ever since i first got to use an L85A1 ive loved the weapon.  when i started playing airsoft again it was my first purchase.  i fancied something different but still part of the weapon family.  so that got me going down this road and when one of the players at our site offered me a cheap AAR85A1 i thought id give it a punt.post-62133-0-75384300-1368611003_thumb.jpg  this is the inspiration.

post-62133-0-47053100-1368611069_thumb.jpg

started by stripping out upper reciever and shortening the barrel.

post-62133-0-09305400-1368611185_thumb.jpg

chopping out the reciever.

post-62133-0-24379400-1368611353_thumb.jpg

still cutting upper

post-62133-0-48999400-1368611489_thumb.jpg

the outer barrel had to be machined down again this time to allow the wiring from the lower to pass it and to give space for the lipo thats going to power it.

post-62133-0-64866600-1368611558_thumb.jpg

test fitted the shortened barrel and cut upper with the gas block and flash hinder.  the lipo went in but more cuts to upper were required to let the wire sit right. (the hairy mutant is Ern the Raw War Aspatria site manager and tech guy)

forgot to mention had to cut the inner support for the rail and bolt cover and cut the top rail to suit.

post-62133-0-19114400-1368611969_thumb.jpg

after most of the cutting has been done we have moved on to fabrication of the lower hand guard and top cover. 

post-62133-0-34706200-1368612123_thumb.jpg

post-62133-0-18900800-1368612171_thumb.jpg

The rough fab on the hand guard is complete to the point that it can be fitted in situ.  the top cover is just roughed out and requires cut to length and the final bends done to it.  theres also the re-enforcing strap over the top cover and the pins and sling mount left to do.  Once its all done ive got a lot of stripping to do.  The donor was a resprayed 2-tone and the plastics will need some TLC.  Once completed the final weapon will differ from the RS one.  Due to LSW rear grips being as rare as hens teeth (plus im skint) a rail will be fitted to the lower and to the RH side of the hand guard.  This going to be a working gun and i will need the rail space for torch/laser combo.  So far its been 12+ man hours work with at least another 16 to go.  I'll update when more progress is made.  Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Right the upper cover has had the cooling holes machined in and the lower hand guard has a LSW grip fitted. A barrel support/spacer was fabricated from alloy to brace the hand guard. All that's left to do now is to make the sling pin and top cover strap and pin. That will be all the fab work completed then its lots and lots paint striping and painting to be done. I will update the pictures when I've got the time but the build log in Facebook has been updated.

• 3 weeks later...

This build is almost finished now.  The guns in full working order and i skirmished it last Sunday.  Not mentioned in the build log or captured on film is the parkarizing of the top cover pin and the sling swivel.  Handling glowing metal and oil needs 2 hands ;).  The hop has had a maple leaf hop rubber fitted and its giving exceptional performance.  The gearbox has been rebuilt with all SHS internals and full steel rack piston.  The piston has been modded to prevent pre engagement and a 13.5mm alloy spacer has been fitted to allow the standard length piston to be used with the correct angle of engagement. An ERN active breaking mosfet has been fitted.  The gun will be getting broke down for stripping and paint once I've got the cash and myself and out tech guy are working on modding this http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/189091-semi-auto-control-with-a-hall-effect-sensor/ design to work with the G&G/ARMY SA80 gearboxes to remove the annoying semi lockups these gearboxes have.  all new pictures are in the build log on facebook.  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151480273103051.1073741827.681588050&type=1&l=70d53f5c56

On a whim last night I replaced the ERN ab fet with one of his non breaking ones and then proceed to empty a mid cap on semi as fast as I could pull the trigger. We've long suspected the problem with this style gearbox is the way the stock electro mechanical or an AB MOSFET stops the motor. This needs a good test on a game day but so far no semi lock ups :)

Thanks ED-SKaR but I'm old school on this one :)

Gun fires all day on semi until you flick to auto and back. If the piston stops where the gears can roll back slightly before the AR latch engages the box locks. I think the only way forward is hall effect sensor fet :(

Archived