350 FPS sniper ?!

Hessel

I ordered a VSR 10 G Spec and will start upgrading this very shortly, but I have some thoughts I want to share with you. If this is already covered somewhere, my apologies, I could not find it on the forum.

I will do a ‘standard’ upgrade:

ASPUK EZ trigger and piston

ASPUK metal spring guide

Metal hop lever (A)

Tight bore barrel

But I am not sure which spring to put in there……..

I can go for the normal M150 and the 500FPS or should I fit a spring for 350FPS?

These are my thoughts on that.

500FPS is off course the normal way to go, here in the Netherlands there are no problems with that, except you have a 20 meter safety zone. Nothing wrong with that, but the playing fields are very small over here. You are getting very fast within the 20-30 meter while playing.

So why not make a replica that shoots 350FPS ?!

Are there people who have experiences with the VSR or any other bolt action that shoots 350FPS?

Bad idea? Or something to look at?

What are the ranges at 350FPS?

Should I fit a hop twist barrel?

Any thoughts, pro’s/con’s, etc, etc……..

I would love to hear from you !

A TM VSR, with a decently tweaked hop system and the right kind of ammo, can be quite effective at 350FPS; You won't necessarily outrange AEG's by a lot, but you'll have the advantage of being very quiet. especially with a G-spec as well as a high level of accuracy.

Problem you'll encounter is the same one I do with GBBR's - People tend to ignore single shots unless they're powerful enough to make a hell of a noise on impact :(

You can get it dead accurate with the right hop (I highly recommend A+ with a TDC mod) doing torso sized groups at 50-60m. 70m is a bit of a stretch, but really your problem would be power loss by then and people you might hit may not register the hit. If you're after targets under 60m, 350fps can do the job well enough.

See I never got why it was all about power for some.

I would say run a TM G-Spec with a tightbore, a better hop, wrap up all the parts that air could escape with PVC tape (or teflon tape or whatever it is called) and then the right ammo (I would say .3s at this level).

You will probably end up about 310-320fps or so using .2 and this would be fine. Now instead of using range keep the silencer and get close, close enough to pick out the sharper looking players and panic the rest when suddenly someone takes a hit.

This is what I would plan to do if I was trying to run a lower FPS bolt action rifle. Also you would save a lot by not buying different triggers and reinforced parts as the TM will easily take the slight upping in FPS. Finally it will last longer and be a damn sight easier to cock when you need to cock it.

'FireKnife'

Mostly what he said.

Though I'd read up on whipping rather than PTFE taping things.

PTFE tape isn't that good for the purpose really as it's for sealing threads and needs that compression to work. I have used nail varnish to seal bits on mine, and dental floss to whip it on top of that.

As long as you keep the airbrake on, it'll be nice and quiet.

See I never got why it was all about power for some.

For some it's because some people can be *rickrolls*. Plenty of occasions from my personal experiences alone where I take on a guy with a single shot and they just shrug it off. From their body language I think they're dismissing it as a stray bullet having the immediate preconception that should a single bb hit them coming from a sniper it would have a lot more punch behind it.

I don't have any experience of a 350 bolt action, but I do have a 400fps bolt action rifle that I use a lot, based on the Echo1 ASR.  400fps being the local field limits for AEGs.

I have to say that it is potentially my favorite airsoft replica to play with.  Really makes you have to choose your shots.  I use it with an Aimpoint replica, and I carry a 3x magnifier on my rig that I can slap onto the top rail if I want to.

It is quite nice to be able to show up to the field and not have to deal with batteries and/or gas.  (Although, somehow I keep forgetting to turn off my red dot, so I do have to deal with those batteries.  But that's mainly my incompetence)

I'd say, give it a go.  I've had a whole lot of fun with mine.

Thanks guys for your input and idea’s.

I know of the problem of people not taking sniper hits, it happens to me a lot with my KC-02.

I know I won’t have to upgrade the trigger at this power level, but still I like the idea of having a 90? trigger system. And I can always upgrade to a heavier spring if I wanted to.

For 350 I need a 110 spring right?

Have any of you experiences with the hop twist barrel?

It sounds like a good idea, but before I spend the money on this I really like to know if it is any better than a tight bore barrel.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea, so I probably will give this a try!

Go for the 350, the TM is a beast and so quiet...

You will get a lot of frustrating hits when the BB has so little energy the other player won't even notice. But for me, that's offset by the satisfaction of taking a guy out and have everyone around him just panic and start running around looking for you in all the wrong places.

About the twist barrel i would advise against it, just because the TM hop is so good that even if the twist barrel works as advertised (last time i checked the debate was still raging) you won't get your money's worth in terms of performance increase.

Last Sunday I got to play with my VSR 10 and had so much, almost too much (if this is possible), fun!

My replica arrived on Saturday and I didn't plan on using it on Sunday, but I just brought it along to try it out in the field at the end of the day.

But somehow my KC02 did not want to function correctly that day, so I got the VSR out of the box, put a scope and a bipod on it and went to chrono it.

It chronoed between 295 and 297, so I was a bit worried when I went on to the field.

Boy, what was I wrong! Even at this speed and straight from the box, it shoots far and straight, unbelievable!

It was very easy to dial in the hop up and I only needed to tweak the scope a little and I was off.

On the first mission I needed some time to get to know the VSR a bit better, but on all the other missions I had a blast.

The best thing is that it is so very quiet, people have no idea where the shots are coming from, they feel something, look very surprised and start looking around, :o

I scared a guy half to death, I accidently shot him in the face :blush: and he cried out loud……..not from pain, but just because he was so startled, he had no idea the BB was coming from!

Down side was that some people don't take there hits off course, but that could not wipe the smile of my face............

I am definitely tuning the VSR to 350 fps and have so much fun with this!!!!

About the twist barrel i would advise against it, just because the TM hop is so good that even if the twist barrel works as advertised (last time i checked the debate was still raging) you won't get your money's worth in terms of performance increase.

I decided to get a normal tightbore barrel.

After reading the debate I also think it is not worth the money.

Thank you for your input!

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of tightbore barrels:

I know there is not much difference in accuracy between a 303 and a 343 mm barrel, but what about the noise?

The 303 barrel will take full advantage of the suppressor, but the 343 will have more room for the gas to expand, but will not use the full suppressor (?)......

Anybody has experiences with this?

I really love how quiet the G-spec is and want to keep it this way!

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to get the most out of your gun then I would suggest looking into fitting an Rhop. 

Most people belive tight bore barrels are the way to go but in sniper rifles the opposite is true.

Another mod to try is the top dead centre mod (TDC), because the way the hop is applied on the VSR it sometimes has a problem with the shots hooking one way... The TDC mod will eliminate this.

Also look into the LRB mod... A slight downward bend in the inner barrel which will improve accuracy and consistency. 

Take that advice with a pinch of salt. LRB stands for long range barrel ;). They are designed in particular for more range, not consistency. They also hark back to the pre-hop up days. You should find plenty of evidence showing the advantage of a tight bore barrel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Take that advice with a pinch of salt. LRB stands for long range barrel ;). They are designed in particular for more range, not consistency. They also hark back to the pre-hop up days. You should find plenty of evidence showing the advantage of a tight bore barrel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

stand yourself 90meters in front of me..... I will show you consistency!!  :)

Archived