OTs-14 Groza AEG

renegadecow

If you asked me a couple or so years ago, and you could probably quote me on this, would have a bouquet of sick in my breath while screaming "NOOO" in your face. I've always been drawn to make one, but thought it would deserve to be a GBB. Problem is I find GHK too expensive for my taste to butcher, and while the WE is perfectly affordable, I'm none too happy with the hidden cost of mandatory upgrade parts. Plus, after having fiddled around with Calbur20's WE AKs, I think it's a little too much work for me and I'm having less and less free time on my hands. Then there are the mags. While it's possible for me to use 7.62 mags and a 5.45 version was intended in the prototype stages of the real OTs-14 (maybe they even made a prototype, just not produced) I really do like the look of the 20-round 9x39 mags which would take a great deal of butchering should I go with GBB. Now for the AEG route, there'd be the motor issue. Other than using an MP7 gearbox to get around that problem, best solution would be to cover it in the least obtrusive of ways. And when tucked into your shoulder, the extension is hardly noticeable anyway. So here's a sketch:

oc-14.jpg

*in light grey is an AKS74 overlaid for size reference

It'll have about as much butt stock surface area as an AUG which isn't too big a deal. Point is to make it as natural looking as possible so as not to detract from the overall impression of a Groza. Right now I could just think of patterning it to the shape and color of the 74 pistol grip and I think I could run the transfer bar for the trigger internally this time (not the first time to make a bullpup AK). Will be using 40mm shells too as I have lots of those and see no real need to use VOGs. Will use 5.45 lowcap mags, cut shorter and added with stampings on the side. Will be doing the usual plastic fantastic number on the parts to be fabricated.

The more I look at it the less it becomes offensive and while I'm skirmishing with what few AEGs I have more and more (if but to keep my batteries from going stale) not having recoil or bolt stop function is becoming less of a deal. So what do you all think? Am I just deluding myself, rationalizing my being a hopeless miser or am I actually on to something decent for a change? And of course, suggestions are very much welcome.

inb4 "go hang yourself"

P.S.

No, I'm not abandoning my AEG shotgun idea *cough* AA-12 *cough* it's just that I'm saving that for next years Arnie's Custom Build Competition. This build will just be for fun.

RC, you made the SKS, and you are trying to make one of those most elusive models sought by Russian weapon enthusiasts, how could anyone object to this?

Heck, you'd be making progress towards finding out how making one goes, and how future gearbox or gas systems might be implemented in such a design.  If need be, you could always mod it to a gbb system (when they get better) and remove the extension.

I think you'd have to get two of the slip on rubber pads for the Kalashnikov family of weaponry and mold them together.  At least, that is what it seems from your sketch.  Also, the Groza can take the straight 9x39mm mags from the 9A-91 (which I imagine would be either easier or more difficult to fabricate, depending on the base used).

One of my favourite weapons - I've had a thing for it since I first played STALKER so many moons ago. All I'd say is if there is a way of avoiding the cancerous hump at the rear, then please do! The extra effort would be worth it I'm sure!

Of course, you're the technical wizard, not I - but if a set of MP7 internals could make the problem go away, it's what I'd be rooting for...

Best of luck (not that you'll need it) with it, whichever route you decide to go down.

I'm looking forward to it already.

I've got a WE AK with all the RAtech bits but doesnt work properly, Im sure RC could resurrect it with some time, but I'm not sure on if its possible to ship it to the phillipine fromn here

if you want it im selling it for the price of the 4 mags and the RAtech

I just say this because its a cheap GBB platform to start with, and GBB groza would be....omg...

Yeah, the shipping would be a big snag. Calbur20 was actually selling me his WE AKS74U for pretty cheap but I had to pass on it from the aforementioned problems. For one thing there was very little space to thread a transfer bar through because of the GBB bits inside (disconnector etc.) which is otherwise absent on the real Groza.

you made the SKS

That's actually partly why I've opened up to making this an AEG. Plum happy enough using my SKS despite not being a GBB which I initially moped a lot about.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure that this will end in a beauty too... :)

I'm would ask about this PVC-bilds strength:

How they perform ant skirmishing? I know PVC is a hardy material, but how strong can it be guled? How vulnerable are they during combat?

(I used PVC while making making a fake magazine for my SV98, and started to like that stuff. That project is at the finish line, and I got an idea to make a WW2 mashine gun next.)

Thanx, and good luck for the project!

I tripped while playing some three weeks ago and landed on my PP-19-01 magazine first. As you could imagine the leverage of the MP5 mag was a lot and it cracked the PVC magazine adapter in 2 places and not at the glued seam joints, but it still held on and worked until the gun broke down shortly after (unrelated, plastic spring guide broke and froze the gearbox). Best part about it is when you get back home you just clean it up, glue it back together and its made stronger than it was before.

• 2 weeks later...

This project is taking waaay too long to start that I'm starting to second guess it... and continue in making it a GBB. I'm not completely decided yet, but finding a 2nd hand AEG to chop up is getting hard to do locally, a new one cost upwards of $150, figured I don't currently have a GBBR in my arsenal, YOLO and all that *suitcase* so I'm reconsidering it. It can be done as I've already checked the internals of the WE AK74U first hand and I'll be rid of the stock hump but the magazine will have to stay 5.45 unless I figure out how to stuff 5.56 mags inside 9x39 shells.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived