amazing 3D printer

pwpaulwater

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the real charge is trying to make gun powder. Then they saw the printer and some samples and thought it would make one remarkable story.

Its legal to make Black powder and many other compositions in the uk but its got to be in sub 100grm amounts,its what you do with those compositions that can land you in hot water.

I also think its a remarkable story and its far harder and more expensive to buy firearms on the black market in the uk then many believe.

What this could lead to is every hooded grunt having a sub £10 zip gun in his pocket. I would like to know where the forces gained their info,my money's on them looking into whos downloaded the free plans from http://defdist.org/our-plan/    

And back to more practical problems with 3D printing:

Recently I bought a pack of miniatures for the new edition of Warzone. Those are 3D printed by an UK company called Prodos. So I went off to assembling them: i cut one off its sprue, cue swearing as it turns out that the miniature's left leg contains a giant air bubble inside, causing it to break off and forcing me to fill the bubble with Green Stuff before I attempt to glue it back together.

Additionally, I have no idea what sort of plastic they used, but the good ol' Revell Contacta doesn't work on it. It just doesn't. They don't stick. I used that stuff on sheet PVC and polystyrene and it welded those rock-solid. But that 3D printed stuff? NOPE.

Additionally, I have no idea what sort of plastic they used, but the good ol' Revell Contacta doesn't work on it. It just doesn't. They don't stick. I used that stuff on sheet PVC and polystyrene and it welded those rock-solid. But that 3D printed stuff? NOPE.

ABS and PLA seem to be the common materials for the cheaper/hobby 3D printers, ABS should be easy enough to bond but if they've used something like Acetal then that stuff is well known for being extremely difficult to bond.

Wire fed 3D printers are so last year anyway, the new Arburg Freeformer seems to have a lot of advantages over regular 3D printers.

http://www.arburg.com/en/gb/solutions/freeformer/

Expect to see within hobby prices within.... 15 - 20 years, when their patents run out or industrial users start selling them off cheap :P

• 2 weeks later...

I realise that this is a little off topic and a little late in the conversation but the topic of explosives is something I know a small amount about from my involvement in High Power Rocketry for which I have held an explosives licence.

Its legal to make Black powder and many other compositions in the uk but its got to be in sub 100grm amounts,its what you do with those compositions that can land you in hot water.

Just to clarify this as I think it is rather important for UK folks not to get the idea that they can go around mixing up explosives without consequences if they only make less than 100 grammes.....

To quote from the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 (MSER 2005)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1082/contents/made

PART 3 
LICENSING AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS 
Explosives not to be manufactured without a licence 
9.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), no person shall manufacture explosives unless he holds a 
licence for that manufacture and complies with the conditions of that licence. 
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to — 
(a) the manufacture of explosives for the purpose of laboratory analysis, testing, 
demonstration or experimentation (but not for practical use or sale) where the total 
quantity of explosives being manufactured at any time does not exceed 100 grams, but 
nothing in this sub-paragraph shall be taken as authorising any acquisition or keeping of 
explosives for which an explosives certificate is required by virtue of regulation 7 of 
those Regulations, without such a certificate; 

This means that, yes, you could make up to 100 grammes but ONLY for experimentation / demonstration / scientific analysis and for no practical use or sale.

As I understand it, and I am not a lawyer, the "no practical use" bit means the moment you do anything with the explosive you have mixed, i.e. put in a container or constrain it, it becomes an explosive device and your exemption disappears in a puff of smoke. You also cannot store it or keep it. Essentially the exemption allows explosives to be made in very small quantities to demonstrate the chemistry / reaction as one might do in a science class. Mix the ingredients in an unconstrained container and then immediately pour out on to a safe surface in a safe area and ignite to demonstrate what happens. Do ANYTHING else that might make use of the explosive's unique properties and you will be heading towards very hot water. I would also suggest that you would have to have a pretty cast iron case to prove that the explosives you had mixed were only for the purposes outlined in the excerpt from the act above.

In short DO NOT MAKE EXPLOSIVES IN ANY QUANTITY  !!!!!!!! in the UK.

If you want to know more about explosives and Pyrotechnic Articles then the HSE website:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/index.htm

is very informative.

I think anyone who uses any kind of pyrotechnic articles: smokes, bangs, fire works, electrically initiated effects, in Airsoft in the UK, would do well to familiarise themselves with the MSER 2005 and also the Placing on the Market and Supervision of the Transfer of Explosives Regulations 1993 (POMSTER 1993)

I hope this is useful information.

Mike 8-{>

In short DO NOT MAKE EXPLOSIVES IN ANY QUANTITY  !!!!!!!! in the UK.

Make some black powder and watch it DEFLAGRATE rather then DETONATE!!!

I have inspired my son to have a keen interest Chemistry with a small composition of black powder!I've also  been  to many Chemistry lectures for children,it seems almost compulsory to have a bang or two as this is well known to inspire a keen interest in Chemical reactions.

I fear that one day will will be banned from striking stones or rubbing sticks to create fire by this nanny state,another process I feel we should all try at least once in our lives.

To be fair this isn't a change from anything that wasn't already enshrined in the 1875 Explosives Act which predates the 2005 act by, oooh let me see, 130 years. Pretty much the same wording was in that I believe. This isn't some new fun spoiling nanny state thing. The MSER 2005 was as much to tidy up an act that had been so amended it was confusing to navigate as anything. I have met more than one amateur pyrotechnician who can no longer count on the 5 fingers of one hand through incidents with explosives to think it is something that can just be innocent fun. It doesn't say you cant do it. It does say you cant make explosive devices, you cant keep it and you cant store it in anything. It is worded pretty much exactly so that folks who are competent can continue to demonstrate the exciting side of chemistry in the class room. However as this is a public forum where youngsters may be reading I would be irresponsible if I didn't suggest that it isn't a wise thing to do. Anyway this is off topic so I wont hijack this thread any longer.

For what it's worth I don't believe black powder, being a low explosive, can detonate as it isn't a high explosive. 

For what it's worth I don't believe black powder, being a low explosive, can detonate as it isn't a high explosive.

To be fair this isn't a change from anything that wasn't already enshrined in the 1875 Explosives Act which predates the 2005 act by, oooh let me see, 130 years. Pretty much the same wording was in that I believe. This isn't some new fun spoiling nanny state thing. The MSER 2005 was as much to tidy up an act that had been so amended it was confusing to navigate as anything. I have met more than one amateur pyrotechnician who can no longer count on the 5 fingers of one hand through incidents with explosives to think it is something that can just be innocent fun. It doesn't say you cant do it. It does say you cant make explosive devices, you cant keep it and you cant store it in anything. It is worded pretty much exactly so that folks who are competent can continue to demonstrate the exciting side of chemistry in the class room. However as this is a public forum where youngsters may be reading I would be irresponsible if I didn't suggest that it isn't a wise thing to do. Anyway this is off topic so I wont hijack this thread any longer.

Who said anything about the legislation being new,Innocent fun and no formulas are mentioned.

Can you show us some proof of the lost fingers as I  bet none of them were due to unconfined black powder.Links to facts please.

I also stated that its what you do with the compositions that can land you in hot water !!!!!!!!!

You stated one thing correctly,you have hijacked this thread..........  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived