TM Next gen vs "old" gen ?

hiawatha

Me personally if I can afford a next Gen I'll get one (I save and sell kit to raise the cash) reason ? yes you can 'tweak' a standard AEG up to the next gen standard but I don't want too , I want to take my gun out of its box and know once its bedded in its going to be the best I can get . Don't get me wrong I'm not against tweaking your guns to there fullest potential (have done it in the past) but nowadays i just can't be bothered any more . All the next gens I've bought over the past few years have all without doubt delivered outstanding performance for me , hell even a faulty one I bought to see if I could fix didn't disappoint on performance .

So yes they are eye watering expensive BUT I do think there worth it , to the right player .

As the man said, fantastic out of the box and to be honest, there' s a lot to be said.if it ain't broke don't fix it!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only downside I have seen is bb flight time , 2 people I know who have them are going for upgrades to raise the fps , And convert them to aftermarket lipo power . Only realy an issue at long range in woodland . Apart from this gripe , they are realy nice guns .

The only downside I have seen is bb flight time , 2 people I know who have them are going for upgrades to raise the fps , And convert them to aftermarket lipo power . Only realy an issue at long range in woodland . Apart from this gripe , they are realy nice guns .

Me personally don't think the flight time is THAT noticeably slower than 'tweaked' guns but yea there is a 'wee' bit of lag , both my sopmod's had the quick change gubbins ripped out and replaced by deans so I can run 'normal' lipo's in them (just bought a 416D and first thing I'll be doing when it arrives is swapping out the quick change for deans) .

In what ways is the hk416 better than the rest of the recoils ?

And why is it such a difference in the fps between them?

260-280 fps w 0.20 BBs in the sopmod, cqb-r etc.

290-310 fps w 0.20 BBs in the Recce, scar, 416 etc.

Im really in the mood to get rid of my PTW and get another TM recoil. Either the cqb-r or maybe the 416 :)

Edit: Almost forgot! Is there a guide anywhere on how to get rid of that awful battery-thingy in the stock and lipo-convert ?

Ambidextrous fire selector... comes detachable outer barrel to make it into a CQB length... also the stock battery compartments are larger, which means when you custom fit lipo batteries, it has more play for slightly odd size batteries. Otherwise they are the same, accuracy is the same, recoil strength the same.. but AMBIDEXTROUS FIRE SELECTOR is a pretty big deal for me... I really want my SOPMOD to have that feature. 

Like blobface says, the major advance is the ambidextrous selector which the previous AR-15 Recoil Shocks haven't had (which is a right pain in the *albartroth*, frankly) but there is also a very slight update to the hop-up unit's outer case (don't think it makes any difference). I wasn't aware that the battery compartment is larger but it is fully enclosed by the stock pad, so you don't need to make a cover like you do if you switch to LiPos in the Crane stock.

I, too, wish there were upgrade receivers for the SOPMOD that accommodated the ambidextrous selector system - it's a simple system but milling out receivers (especially the weak AR-15 Recoil Shock ones) is really pretty difficult.

Well i only use the left selector even if i got ambidextrous, even when i shoulder my left. Dont think the real 416 got imbidextrous selectors either right ?

And i hate that 416 stock so if ill get it, i will put the sopmod stock on either way.

Man i wish they make a bullpup designed rifle in the future too, like an aug A3, Famas or F2000 etc :D

What do you guys hope for? 

The way I see it, thanks to the Chinese cloners and Taiwanese airsoft manufacturers, a huge amount of pressure was put onto TM, since then they have been really unpredictable with their latest developments, I mean look at the next-gen series, China clone still hasn't really tackled them apart from one attempt on their SOPMOD fairly recently, and it's been many years since the release of the series, but I suspect it would make sense for them to develop more and more guns that use their next-gen Stanag magazine, so it's entirely possible that bullpup 5.56 guns would be released in the future with some form of bolt stop system, but like I said, TM has gone a little crazy (in a good way) in the recent years, so really it's hard to predict what they will come up with for the future. 

Well i only use the left selector even if i got ambidextrous, even when i shoulder my left. Dont think the real 416 got imbidextrous selectors either right ?

I think the original HK416Ds weren't supplied with ambidextrous selectors, but for total realism if you wanted you could pull the selector and install the indicator disc instead. The newer HK416s on HK's site (A5) are all pictured with ambidextrous selectors and with ambidextrous magazine and bolt releases, but they also have a substantially redesigned pair of receivers.

Ah ok i see.

Its really never a bad feature i guess, but if thats the only improvement over the other ar's its not that major for me since it wouldnt be used that much.

The recce with the shorter barrel is really a beauty aswell :)

Ive heard bad things about the Magpul Pmags for the next gen

Like not activating the bolt lock etc.

Is that still a problem?

If so, is there an easy fix?

Just saw that the were cheaper than the standard TM mags :o

The new batch has repaired that issue, I can confirm that first hand. I had the older batch which didn't activate the bolt lock, but it was very simple to repair. Personally I still prefer the original mags, they were steel, and over time when you use them and drop them a lot, they scratch and wear nicely, for me they just look better. The Pmags are back up mags for when I play in games that allows for more ammo limit, since they carry 50% more ammo. (82 x 120!) 

Yeah i changed my mind rather quick :)

I have some Pmags and those awful vanaras "pmags" and i would switch them for metal mags in a heartbeat!

Awesome news Druid! Is the 416 stock roomier than the sopmod one ?

Say i bought a 416 and wanted the sopmod stock on it, what brand stock should i look for ?

Because the TM ebb buffertube is larger than normal right? 

Well if you are keeping the quick change battery system, you'd have to go with a TM next-gen stock.... but I'd avoid the SOPMOD crane stock unless you really like it, because it will break, they all do, well, they don't destroy itself completely, but the block that holds the stock in place at each click position snaps.

FF-HIBK-SOPMOD_2_mark.jpg

So you'll have to replace it with the First Factory part, which is fine... but the stock isn't cheap as it is, so it's kinda irritating. Since I've handled all SOPMOD, EMOD and 416 stocks.. the 416 stock is better made them both of the previous ones, which is pretty standard as it was Marui's way of experimenting with the quick change system, so newer is better.. Unless of course if you're planning to re-wire it, then get whatever stock you like :)

*holy poo that picture is huge.. sorry

Awesome news Druid! Is the 416 stock roomier than the sopmod one ?

Say i bought a 416 and wanted the sopmod stock on it, what brand stock should i look for ?

Because the TM ebb buffertube is larger than normal right?

Yea its a bigger Batt space 2600 fitted with ease in the 416 but won't fit in the Sopmod , I fitted an A&K and G&G stock on my old Sopmod no problem .

Thanks guys.

Im gonna get deans soldered, just wanted to know which stocks that fitted with the tm buffer tube.

I thougt it was alot bigger than the standard aeg tubes since the recoil is back there :)

Say i got a 416 or a cqb-q, then the stock MUST be replaced asap :)

Like blobface says, you can only use Recoil Shock stocks if you're keeping any parts of the QD battery system - no other stocks accommodate the TM contact bar system. If you're going to ditch it in its entirety (solder a pigtail onto the buffer tube) then most AEG stocks should fit, I should think. I don't think there's any size difference apart from the contacts on the end of the buffer tube, which you'd be removing anyway.

Really sorry to mini-hijack the thread, but PureSilver I think your PM is full! 

*and just to pretend to say something useful, if you feel that you want slimmer stock and might consider re-wiring to the front, it might be better value for money to go with the SOCOM that is already front wired, and get a handguard of your liking. Because getting CQB-R and ditching the emod stock... it'd work out cheaper with less work if you use SOCOM as a base. 

Archived