Minimum post count before creating threads?

With the recent influx of spam posts I was wondering if there should be a minimum post count for creating a topic.  Or is this a silly idea that would just get spam in existing threads before they can create their own thread and not have any impact at all?

Would the spam bots be clever enough to process the restriction and post in other threads before creating their own?  Not really a subject I'm an expert on, but I'd have thought the idea would work.

Then again, might kinda blow for newbies who want to introduce themselves in the relevant sub-section?

Spambots could do that if programmed, but I doubt someone would bother. A minimum post count would mean they would just go back to spamming regular threads then creating new ones.

As well as the new user section , I think it would stop new people who would maybe sign up to ask a question.

I was thinking like 2/3 posts or something.  I did think it might deter genuine newbies that wanted to ask a question though.

Anyway, just an idea off the top of my head really.  I have no idea at the behind the scenes stuff of preventing the spam.  It just seems to have exploded recently.

Here's an idea. Users are required to slam their faces against their keyboard. Their unique facial features will then correlate to a unique string of gibberish written by the keyboard and saved into protected files. Instead of a captcha, posts will require the input of said saved gibberish by simply slamming their faces on their keyboard. No faceplant, no password, no post.

There are loads of different types.

It's like a text template / text recognition/ data base all rolled into one.

So it might start off with some key words and template sentences and fill in the nouns, adjectives ect... from whats in its database/ libraries / word lists.

Or acts like a search engine kind of , starts off with key words and searches the internet or its libraries, data base , lists whatever for sentences with those key words and mashes them together.

Or another way, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Well I feel for the mods. They're stuck with whatever signup protocol the site software has. Our website at work has a forum area and every few months we'll get waves of spambots. All you can do is aggressively block IPs and email addresses and delete the offenders.

When they do get through having members post in the threads instead of using the report button makes the cleanup worse. So if you see a purse or penis pill thread resist the urge to add to it.