Oshi boom grenade

Baddbaz

Just picked up one of these from Viking Airsoft for 65 quid . Impact grenade ,

First opinions are that this is a very well made peice of kit , have tried various surfaces and grass and it has yet to fail to detonate every time .

Easy to reset as well , comes with a years warranty . Only suitable for 9mm 380 blanks but an adaptor is going to be available for larger calibre blanks soon

Definatly a a viable alternative to the bfg / swat offerings and a good few quid cheaper as well

Haven't skirmished it yet but have done about 25 test bangs and it works every time even when only dropped from a foot of the ground . The mechanism is pretty clever . It seems to be impossible not to detonate it once primed ..

To early to give a wear and tear / reliabity reveiw yet , but early impressions are very very good .

I skirmished mine at the Sandpit three weeks ago, and today at TWA (CQB, so used it loads) - absolutely amazing bit of kit. Loud, super easy to use and goes off every time.. almost - the only time I had it not go off was when I sort of rolled it into a room, trying to be clever. Only reason I tried that was because I was so damn confident in the thing, having dropped it from all of 8-10 inches round a corner previously. If you throw it, it will go off every single time. Highly recommended piece of kit.

At £65, they're way better than nearly all other BFGs I've seen, and cheaper too.

Only does 9mm at the moment, but they're making a shotgun primer base first (cheap bangs!) and then a 12 gauge I believe.

Skirmished with mine and am very impressed , no detonation failures at all during my days skirmishing . Only downside to this thing is its colour which makes it hard to find ( black / silver ) am looking for a sleeve to hopefully fit it . If not I will use luminous tape to wrap it with . Priming is ridiculously easy taking less than 30 seconds to reload with gloves on .

If this holds up to long term usage I will definatly buy a few more . Shame they haven't got a timed version out at the moment ..

It even works on grass? Had loads of trouble getting my impact to detonate on grass and soft ground (SWAT BFGx). If this OSB impacts are better all around I might buy one also. 

Just a bit on price, they are more expensive than the BFGx, but this is a matter of pounds (2 to be exact). :)

Grenade manufacturers do like this £65/£60 price point.  I reckon if they drop to £40 they would sell loads more.  Of course maybe it really does cost them a lot to manufacture and there is not much profit in that £65, in which case fair enough.

Of course maybe it really does cost them a lot to manufacture and there is not much profit in that £65, in which case fair enough.

They do, I've looked into the prices myself, even designed a small bare bones timer version which would be the cheapest design to manufacture with the least tooling costs but even with that the retail price would have to be around £60. When you look at the actual production costing for making one you soon realise the original BFGs were a bargain for what they sold for.

That's interesting info - SWAT is selling its timer BFG for £90+. It they did really cost only £60 that's a fair wedge of profit there. 

Not really, a retail price of £90 for something that costs £60 would leave next to no profit, if not a loss, but that wasn't the point I was making.

What I am saying is the old/original BFGs compared to what it'd now cost for someone to go and make an identical product for such a small market were underpriced, airsofters who got them for around £65 when they were available got a bargain imho, even if a lot did complain about the price.

The bare bones design I did could have sold for around £60 but that would have left no room for trade pricing for retailers and was a much simpler, cheaper design than the SWAT VTG which is basically a newer version of the original BFG. Given that the VTG is far more complex than the design I did and 'reportedly' had setup costs at least 20x higher (not confirmed but given the production methods used on it entirely plausable) I think the price they charge is pretty reasonable having looked at BFGs from an actual design and costing point of view and not the usual "This is what I think things cost in my mind with no manufacturing experience to back it up" view that I so often see.

All that said I do think the £120 charged for a VTG is beyond the price point where many people are willing to throw it and potentially lose it or have it nicked at a skirmish, one priced around the £65 mark is far more likely to be used enough to work out at the same cost or less than single use pyro before it goes missing so I'd be looking at an OSB grenade over a SWAT version if I was in the market for another.

Im going to look into on of these definatly but its really low on my list. £65 to me is alot of money at the moment, especially as I could get a load of other equipment for that.

However Id much rather pay abit more and get a good solid piece of gear thatll last me for a few years then pay a cheaper price and end up with a dog. Atleast you can buy in convidence that materials used are all of a high quality etc.

Rob, Swat's VTG is £95, not 120 :)

Depends where you look, some stockists are selling them at £120, I guess there isn't enough of a margin on the trade price for some retailers.

Even at £95 it's not something I'd want to throw at anything other than a small/private game myself, I'm far too short of money to potentially and literally throw £95 away.

Depends where you look, some stockists are selling them at £120, I guess there isn't enough of a margin on the trade price for some retailers.

Even at £95 it's not something I'd want to throw at anything other than a small/private game myself, I'm far too short of money to potentially and literally throw £95 away.

On the other hand you could get a £50 note, 2x £20 notess and a 5 note.. Wrap them in a ball, throw them and shout bang when they hit the floor ;)

On the other hand you could get a £50 note, 2x £20 notess and a 5 note.. Wrap them in a ball, throw them and shout bang when they hit the floor ;)

That's an exaggeration. :)

The sites I've been too, both players and marshalls are very good with this kind of thing -- on one site, the Marshalls pick up the BFGs once fire fights are over and hand them over to you if you happen to cross paths. Very handy.

That's an exaggeration. :)

The sites I've been too, both players and marshalls are very good with this kind of thing -- on one site, the Marshalls pick up the BFGs once fire fights are over and hand them over to you if you happen to cross paths. Very handy.

Yeah I played in Aldershot on the weekend and the marshalls there handed them back to you but if you play at the Mall they leave them I hoping that youd remember where you through it last.

PS- I would recomend boths sites if your in the UK

Mine is coming up to its 50/ 60 throw mark . No faults as of yet , my only niggle is the safety pull pin could be slightly better made , ie I wish it was a solid pin rather than the split pin type . Apart from this minuscule nit pick , I am more than happy with mine ..

Archived