attaching patches to gear

falconfour4

And if you're not a fan of sewing them in close to the edge and injuring you're fingers, just get a large piece of hook (I assume your kit has the loop side on) and then sew the patches on and then cut them out of the hook velcro, won't have to worry about sewing too close to the edge and sewing a thumb :P

I bout a metre of some 100mm wide adhesive backed velcro off of ebay. Cut off amount needed, peel off backing, slap patch on, leave it sat between some heavy books for an hour or so....seems to be working

I bout a metre of some 100mm wide adhesive backed velcro off of ebay. Cut off amount needed, peel off backing, slap patch on, leave it sat between some heavy books for an hour or so....seems to be working

This ^ easiest way to date,

I would add a detail, though: once the velcro is attached, iron the patch a couple of times, this will melt the glue of the velcro, making a stronguer bond.

second option is buying the same velcro without glue and use your own fauvorite  contact glue

I used Evostick to apply velcro to fabric patches and it has held up well for a couple of years so far. i think the trick is to use a glue that has some elasticity once it has dried, as something like Super Glue will crack off when the patch is flexed.

Im a fan of using fabric glue to give a temporary hold before using an overhand loop stitch (or whatever its called :P ) to secure after trimming to suit either the patch or an area of loop on things without the piece.

I ususally use double weight of thread when stitching any type of patch or gear repairs.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Super glue should not be used with patches, because it hardens rather than stays flexible. When it hardens and you flex the patch, the bonds in the glue break apart, causing the adhesive effect to decrease. It is also important to note that super glue should not be used with various fabrics, wool or cotton to be precise. I do think it would be harmless when used on synthetic fabrics or certain blends of fabrics, but on cotton and wool it causes a chemical reaction that creates extreme heat, and often flames.

I used a type of adhesive Velcro which I believe that I bought at WalMart. It has held up well as far as Velcro goes, and the adhesive is strong, even with a good amount of heat exposure. Though, I have not sown the Velcro to my patches, as the adhesive is quite strong yet I feel that it is not durable enough on its own. Now that I have an industrial sowing machine, I'll put it to some use on my patches, and hopefully some other gear!

Now health and safety might not approve, and if your rather hard to come by and expensive Crye AOR1 top got damaged you might not like it, but the vison of someones morale patches suddenly bursting into flames whilst on the battlefield seems pretty funky, I can see noobs coming up and asking " hey mister where can online can I purchase flaming morale patches"   :D

I do think it would be harmless when used on synthetic fabrics or certain blends of fabrics, but on cotton and wool it causes a chemical reaction that creates extreme heat, and often flames.

I had no idea about this! :)

Had to google it for myself anywho... and for anyone else who is wondering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F11lfW6WsQ

Man up and learn to sew?

Most airsofters will admire bayonets and blades of all sizes, yet seem terrified of a needle and thread LOL!

I just chuck a badge and velcro into my sewing machine and whiz round the edges in about 15 seconds.

Sewing velcro on to a patch by hand is still only a five minute job.

None of you ever sew on your own scout/cadet badges?

Jim

Man up and learn to sew?

Most airsofters will admire bayonets and blades of all sizes, yet seem terrified of a needle and thread LOL!

I just chuck a badge and velcro into my sewing machine and whiz round the edges in about 15 seconds.

Sewing velcro on to a patch by hand is still only a five minute job.

None of you ever sew on your own scout/cadet badges?

Jim

Not sure whats worse..

the statement "Man up and sow" or  the fact that you have a sowing machine.

Isamu, Tactical sewing is the way forward!

I make / modify as much of my kit as I can, but thats not all.

When I was growing up I learnt to sew at school (we all did)

It came in handy for sewing on my scout badges and later my cadet badges.

I started modifying my cadet uniform and webbing and continued from there.

I used to make and sell bb bags until recently too.

I've taught all of my kids that there aren't any male/female only skills.

I have taught all 4 (2 boys,2 girls) how to shoot , how to sew, how do DIY.

how to cook and clean, how to work on cars, how to spell.

I see no reason why people should be scared of learning new life skills.

I know grown men who panic and run to their mum if a button comes off their shirt.

I know women who panic when their car runs out of screen wash.

Its not rocket science.

Just think of it as advanced multiskill task training or something tactical like that LOL.

Jim

Archived