TM VSR vs L96

wazzy1013

simple Q's to ask. Having turned away from a bolty a few years ago to go down the PTW route, am coming back to wanting a bolty. I have the ability to get a vsr or l96 at my disposal. What i was wondering is platform you'd say has the better/more consistent hopup system, and allows you to reach out further. Im looking to have the ability to reach out and hit man sized targets at ~250ft at least 50% of the time.

From that, based on that scenario, know people go back b/t Laylax & PDI, but do either one (for their platform [vsr vs l96] & route), allow for shots to reach that distance with more "ease" ?

If you're talking TM in both cases, then the VSR is really the only option in my view. Much easier to work on and the cylinder is significantly larger so it'll be easier to achieve the kind of power levels you need. a 170 spring (with other upgrades) should see you to around 580fps. Personally I favour the laylax parts, but that's just me.

hi, thanks for the reply. But yes it'd be TM in either case.  Reason asked about the L96, is that both i could get are slightly used; where the vsr as upgrades in it arleady (though some im not a fan of), and the l96 is completely stock.

That, and even though know a lot of people run vsr, guess im just a stickler for the l96 as goes back to my CS days.  But i did check both routes for either gun, and the only "hickup" i noticed was if went a Laylax VSR route, not many places have the spring guide in stock (so need to wait on it, or can the PDI be used?).

Guess any other info be great to know

Not sure if the spring guides are interchangable or not. For what it's worth, I have both guns and have invested a similar amount in both (don't ask, I'll only cry when I think about it). The L96 hasn't been to a skirmish yet despite having owned it for about 6 months. I've really struggled to even get the power to 450 (despite other people saying they've had no issues to 500) and it's a bugger to work on. The loading mechanism is also a bit of a nuisance as it's prone to feeding too many rounds. I love the feel and look of the L96, but I just can't recommend it over the VSR.

If you do go for a VSR I'd say the only things you *need* to get are:

VSR GSPEC (preferable to any other model)

laylax zero trigger (yes, it is worth it)

170 spring for around 580 fps, 190 spring for around 720!

upgraded hop arm (look for eagle6 or possibly Dangerworks)

firefly hard hop rubber

Everything else like teflon cylinders, tight bore barrels, cylinder heads, etc are nice to have for getting a little more fps out, or making the action smoother, but you don't really need them. You may also wish to consider an aftermarket cheek rest if like me the standard stock is too low for you with optics.

post-37787-0-03628400-1371488079_thumb.jpg

thanks for your opinion.  As if i get the VSR im looking at; it actually already comes w/ the upgrades; though i'd probably gut it, as it uses mainly PDI-Raven parts, plus has extra barrels, so maybe ill get the PDI receiver and essentially then have 2 guns

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got a gift of old TM VSR-10 (hasn't been used since 2006). The hop up chamber is screwed and all items are pretty much stock.

What is the best bang for a buck VSR aftermarket HP chamber?

Also, what do you guys think about airsoftpro.cz parts. Price looks decent.

Putting the point about power levels aside, the L96 is very fiddly to deal with when it comes to tinkering.  If my L96 didn't look so awesome I would have gone the VSR route.  I have found it difficult to reach 500fps let alone anything above that mark so that leaves only one choice.

Best of luck with your return to bolt action. :)

Archived