Grey Gear & Loadouts

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So all my clobber is finally coming together...

Please excuse the *suitcasey* photos, the fact it's a bedroom pic, and the bad editing :P

2ed4f0ca5ec4e1ec7720c37e413b025f.jpg

95809a275c9426269f430e3261f019a4.jpg

7dad401eb8ca5bfa30c82b121cc5f0ac.jpg

5aca6195e0a7ca1c1db514f7c3770007.jpg

fb690ebc6d20819cf7db2e5d4184207c.jpg

Rough kitlist:

FMA Ops-Core in FG

OD Begadi balaclava

Mesh lower face mask

M&S grey fleece

Black Mechanix gloves

TMC 6094 with TMC small admin (both FG), kydex kangaroo insert, doodads

Black tac belt with eBay no brand SERPA, lanyard, TM M9, and a FG TMC horizontal utility as an IFAK.

Random grey work trousers with kneepad inserts

Chris Costa in association with Debenhams "Art Of The Dynamic Sleepover" socks in Coyote Yellow

JG G36

In the post: mesh goggles, doodads, and parts to make my M4 fit the loadout.

Thoughts, comments, constructive criticism, destructive criticism, cuss words, opinions?

Edited by titchikov

I've got the kydex type. They don't fit at all! This was just posing, when I get my M4 all greyed up I'm using that. I'd imagine that the M4 mag shingles wouldn't hold the G36 mags at all, they'd be way too wide. Maybe the magpul G36 mags might? That or get a custom kanga pouch made, it's not exactly a complex design.

Sorry I can't be more helpful mate.

Edited by titchikov
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like the right place to ask this question... Apart from the obvious no Velcro on the sleeves and a brighter logo - is there much difference between the arc'teryx atom SV leaf and the civvie version? Apart from the price.

I'm after the wolf grey one, hence asking here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't be 100% but I'd doubt it.  I don't think they're made in different places, so the aesthetics are most likely the only difference.  Not a US mil/gov purchased item or anything along those lines that'd have certain contract stipulations etc.  If you find one in a colour you want for a good price then go for it I'd say, LEAF or not.

Though as mid-layers go you can get stuff that's probably as good as the Atom for less money.  Not that it's not a good option and it's your money, just riffing.  What sort of gear would you be looking at running with it out of interest?  

I own an Atom LT LEAF and I work in an outdoor equipment store, so some of my coworkers have regular Atom LT's. There are some other important differences, such as that the LEAF version has waist adjustment cords located at both the right and left side whereas the regular one only has one on one side, and it is not guided to the top, meaning it can stick out when pulled very tight.

Another important difference is the lack of electronics ports on the inside pocket. These are the differences in the LT version, no knowledge if they carry over to the SV, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. 

Sufficed to say, the primary materials, coatings and cut will be the same with either one.  As far as a purchase goes you're unlikely to have any major issues, but it's always worth opening two tabs up with product descriptions for both and going down the lists side-by-side to check.

It may very well be made in the USA to be Berry compliant.

Could be but I'm fairly sure that's limited to a few of the MC items.  My Atom LT is from Bangladesh; Naga and Drac are similar stories (not checked my other labels).  I'm sure some of the product descriptions used to mention berry/trade act but looking through the LEAF site I can't find any sort of list any more.

Sufficed to say, the primary materials, coatings and cut will be the same with either one.  As far as a purchase goes you're unlikely to have any major issues, but it's always worth opening two tabs up with product descriptions for both and going down the lists side-by-side to check.

Could be but I'm fairly sure that's limited to a few of the MC items.  My Atom LT is from Bangladesh; Naga and Drac are similar stories (not checked my other labels).  I'm sure some of the product descriptions used to mention berry/trade act but looking through the LEAF site I can't find any sort of list any more.

Here's the tricky part (and what adds $$$) to the price. The stuff sold in the USA isn't always made in the same places as LEAF made for the UK or Canada.

All those small batches and small changes add $$$ to the price overall. The good news is that if you shop aroud and go to a storefront location you can get better pricing than the online stuff.

And if you're a traveller you can go here http://stores.arcteryx.com/NorthVancouver and check out the factory seconds. The do sell LEAF stuff there with dropped stitches etc. They run blowout sales out there a few times a year.

These guys, http://www.dstactical.com/index.php?osCsid=7101923f66a12c126de311c07bd309b9 have a lot of LEAF on the rack instore so you can get specific items and their pricing is as good as big US online spots. I don't know about international shipping though, there may be restrictions.

For me that paritcualr coat is way too hot. I couldn't even wear it standing around in the normal winter we have out here.

Full disclosure, I don't work for Arcteryc but I do have a connection. I can't get gear for other people though so no need to be super nice to me.

Thanks for the speedy response guys, seriously helpful stuff.

Does anyone know if the LEAF wolf grey is the same shade as the SV grey?

In terms of airsofting Id be running it under an FCPC. However, I'm sure I'd find a place for it in my everyday life, from commuting to walking the pooch and camping.

Here's the tricky part (and what adds $$$) to the price. The stuff sold in the USA isn't always made in the same places as LEAF made for the UK or Canada.

All those small batches and small changes add $$$ to the price overall. The good news is that if you shop aroud and go to a storefront location you can get better pricing than the online stuff.

And if you're a traveller you can go here http://stores.arcteryx.com/NorthVancouver and check out the factory seconds. The do sell LEAF stuff there with dropped stitches etc. They run blowout sales out there a few times a year.

These guys, http://www.dstactical.com/index.php?osCsid=7101923f66a12c126de311c07bd309b9 have a lot of LEAF on the rack instore so you can get specific items and their pricing is as good as big US online spots. I don't know about international shipping though, there may be restrictions.

For me that paritcualr coat is way too hot. I couldn't even wear it standing around in the normal winter we have out here.

Full disclosure, I don't work for Arcteryc but I do have a connection. I can't get gear for other people though so no need to be super nice to me.

Interesting.  My Atom LT is from SKD tac, have a Talos shirt in MC from Op Tac but I've not looked at the label.  The Talos trousers were UK retail (as a chsristmas present) but again not looked at the label and I don't keep my gear at work to check; everything else has been 'second hand' and could've originated anywhere.  Only ever paid full retail on the Talos shirt (which was my first but apart from a beanie I think) and even then paying in $ and having it shipped over by someone state side was a lot cheaper than a UK store.

Thanks for the speedy response guys, seriously helpful stuff.

Does anyone know if the LEAF wolf grey is the same shade as the SV grey?

In terms of airsofting Id be running it under an FCPC. However, I'm sure I'd find a place for it in my everyday life, from commuting to walking the pooch and camping.

Well this is why I asked originally.  You sure you want a heavily insulating mid-layer for going under a PC to airsoft skirmish?  I mean you might be a 'cold running' person I don't know, but PCs are insulating as it is and as Danke says the SV is really *fruitcage* warm.  To me it sounds like you want the combat jacket or similar softhsell with either zero or minimal insulation; most people will both boil up and drown in their own sweat by under taking lots of cardio (i.e. airsoft skirmishing) in this style of jacket.  The outer fabric also isn't as robust as a smock, BDU type shirt or a softshell outer layer jacket; it's just not designed for that sort of use.  If you were stood around for a long time doing a 'milsim' and you wanted to stay as warm as possible while static you'd want something like an SV with a smock or softshell over it and then your plate carrier.

You're talking about this right?

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Cold_Weather_Insulation&model=Atom-SV-Hoody

Like CK says wearing that under a plate carrier is going to roast you. It will also compromise the performance because you're compressing the insulation.

I think this would be a way better choice.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Softshell&model=Drac-Jacket

Thanks again, really helpful. I've located a shop in Covent Garden that supplies Arc'teryx gear so I'm going to check that out before I make any rash decisions. I did think when watching some reviews that it may be way too hot for bombing about in on an open day - but I'd rather shell out the money's on a nice jacket than pay the equivalent for a pair of Crye pants that only have one purpose.

Just a bit of a gear really, and fancy a tasty soft shell (that makes me cool, right?!).

The grey gear is nice because you can wear it on hikes etc. and not look whacky.

Don't hike in grey if you tend to get lost though and need rescue.

You can definately nail down sizing and feel as long the LEAF item has a civilain twin.

If you feel the LEAF stuff is pricey check out Veilance. You'll probably say WTF all caps.