steampunk revolver

teflon  don

hey guy's 

i have way to much time on my hands so i started creating custom airsoft guns just to see if i could do it 

here's one of my projects its a dan wesson revolver and i tried to rebuild or customize each part 

here are some pictures of that work in progress let me know what you think 

turning down the barrel 

IMG_4208.jpg

i filled up the flutes in the chamber then turned it down and then i painted it 

i did everything on my lathe so it has a perfect finish 

IMG_4295.jpg

how it should look when its done 

IMG_4191.jpg

test fitting the barrel after i milled out the indexing slot (latter i had to remill that slot because i cut my compensator in the wrong side)

IMG_4212.jpg

i marked on the hammer where i was going to cut it (nut sure if im going to keep it cut or if im going to make the hammer with a piece of a gear) 

IMG_4217.jpg

adding bondo to the frame

IMG_4216.jpg

milling the compensator slots 

IMG_4278.jpg

Looks good but not at all steampunk?

Needs way many more random brass and copper tubes going into nowhere and coming from somwhere.

RDS doesnt suit, more of a brass scope tube with un-needed magnification lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Looks good but not at all steampunk?Needs way many more random brass and copper tubes going into nowhere and coming from somwhere. RDS doesnt suit, more of a brass scope tube with un-needed magnification lolSent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Agree , it is a very nice bit of work but needs some pipes and at least one dial on it and a big brass looking tube scope to be steam punk'ed .

its finished

Nope, it ain't. Like RenegadeCow said, slap a full sight rib on it, and only go from there. You just started, and there's still a lot to do with it.

tumblr_moakca401S1rk7l7co1_500.jpg

Here's my concept of a steampunk revolver. Barrel and frame are Webley Mk6, hinge is S&W Model 3 (Schofield), grip and trigger guard are Colt Peacemaker and cylinder and trigger are Taurus Judge. Notice this: visually, this gun is retro as all hell. It's based on guns designed in 19th century, with the exception of cylinder. You have to remember that steampunk is very closely linked to the Victorian period, and its American counterpart, cattlepunk, is linked to the Wild West in the same way.

I wrote a piece on designing steampunk guns a while back: http://seriously-mike.tumblr.com/post/47647244471/so-you-want-to-design-a-steampunk-gun

And if you want advice on "Where do I go from here", let's see:

- the grip is thoroughly modern. You want to smooth it out: get rid of the finger grooves and grip texture, and reshape the top part. Also, beef up the bottom and try working a metal faux frame into the grip - a thin strip of aluminium glued into a groove milled in the front and bottom of the grip should be enough.

- this revolver needs an underlug of some kind. Preferably one imitating the loading rod of cap-and-ball revolvers like Remington NMA and Colt Navy. Bonus points for making it out of brass.

- a fully optional piece of mad science mounted under the barrel. Copper cylinder, vacuum tube, maybe both.

- an equally optional optical sight. You might like an open red-dot with a round lens as the base (think C-More), smoothed out and painted in an imitation of a typical bakelite pattern (glossy of course), with the lens frame covered with a brass or copper pipe.

maybe i should rename the treat bowling pin gun because this is more or less the style i was going for

thanx for al the inputs here are the changes that i will make 

- full sight rib (does anyone know where i can buy one (i would rather not machine one from scratch)) 

- an underlug (do you think a square one will look good)

- full sight rib (does anyone know where i can buy one (i would rather not machine one from scratch)) 

- an underlug (do you think a square one will look good)

The cheapest one I could find. You may still want to machine one yourself because of it.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-parts/sight-ribs/asr-6-sight-rib-single-screw-rear-adjusting-prod24663.aspx

*they have other models too and you may want to look into sight ribs for rifles as they're cheaper

And a square if not angular underlug to go with the lines of your barrel.

it must be said, nicely machined.

But not steampunk.

this is ->2526274035_c728438621.jpg

'Gulp' , WoW ! Yup that's steampunk !!!!!!!!!

Truly a work of art ! All you need now is some bird with a huge cleavage and a bustle hanging off the opposite arm to your gun hand and your sorted !

Well since this revolver ain't mine this is not likely to happen.

On the other hand, I have two Sword Cutlass M9's, although it's not steampunk, that bird you described would fit perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

What did the fps drop to when the hammer was machined down. I've always fancied a Dan Wesson but the stock power is too high to skirmish with in the uk 

to about 200fps it isn't usable  as it is now and lowering the weight of the hammer to drop the fps isn't really the way to go

if you want to lower the fps you should restrict the flow of gas in the shells  

• 4 months later...

Archived