VFC UMP .45 GBB

Hey Calbur20 since you fixed the magazines after they were leaking, did you come across anything inside that suggest it's possible to increase the capacity of this gun? 25 rounds makes it very unskirmishable especially even if the mags aren't too heavy, one can only carry (afford) so many... 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't worry about him.  Our schools are actually pretty good.  Honest.

This is my initial review of the VFC UMP .45. While I have had this particular GBBR since May, events have transpired against me actually using it for a while which I will detail below. Many folks hav

I just can't give up on VFC GBBs... they look too good... and since for me the hobby of airsoft consist of 30% modding guns, 30% shopping, 39% looking cool and 1% playing in games... it seems to make

Calbur is still the only video showing that these things work just fine. even from videos posted a few days ago, they still show the gun struggling to get through a mag. either there are still plenty of the first batch at shops or VFC still hasn't fixed the mags from the factory. can anybody else confirm that their UMP works as well as Calbur's?

Kwa gbbs have been pretty good performers for me. Magazines held gas fine. The guns shot fine.

I ran my Kriss vector pretty hard with propane from December 2012 to March. Mags held up. Only 2 occurances of jamming due to double feeding. Took about 15,000 rounds without anything breaking. I did split the load between that and my TM MP7 GBB which I modified and ran for about the same amount of bbs from December 2012 til May 2013 when I finally decided to sell my game gun toy buddy as he kept bugging me about it and it was out of stock everywhere at that time. I still had another TM MP7 GBB that was pretty much brand new in the box.

My KWA LM4 ran like a champ from January 2013 til June 2013. That gun needed tweaking. Maple Leaf released the evo 2 kit which I installed (I think sometime February this year ) and it has ran with zero issues. Never an issue on the field.

Yup. I have a lot of faith in a lot of KWA gbbs.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Ah ic, I have the Kriss too, not sure how much you've looked into it, but I chose the GHK over KWA for the AK, mainly because for practically the same price (and much cheaper mags), the GHK is a great performing gun, not to mention full steel LCT body, and has good recoil, where as the KWA AK has almost no steel at all, and very little kick out of all AK GBBs (WE, GHK, KWA). 

It's very resilient to cool down, might be worth looking into.

*wish it wouldn't show the whole video box, sorry for small thread jacking.

Edited by blobface

I was looking into this...mag capacity was a concern....still is. Less something else comes up, next gun may be the GHK G5...or the KWA AK74U GBBR. More than likely...the AK.

Get the best of both worlds in a GHK AK. :) Just make sure you get a 2013 model, previous models sucked.

Back on topic, has anybody tried to test the reliabilty of the gun? I've always wanted a UMP and this looks like a promising choice. However I have read mixed reviews, some people saying that they are a POS while others claim that they're amazing. If they are really that good then it might just be worth saving up for one.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I sealed the bottom first with that latex based sealant I've been using only to have them blow their tops. The way the mag is constructed is an extruded aluminum body with the top plugged with the valve mechanism and the bottom a plate. The big problem was VFC insisting in using a cheap *albatross* gasket design (top and bottom) instead of making a proper plug with an o-ring.

Get the best of both worlds in a GHK AK. :) Just make sure you get a 2013 model, previous models sucked.

I have checked out the old versions. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

After doing research...I pulled the trigger on getting myself a ghk g5. The gun is pretty dang awesome I picked up another one. These guns might have just renewed my faith in ghk. The hop is pretty good....recoil and action is awesome. Did run into an issue with the bolt catch not locking back on empty at times...fixed that issue by bending the bolt catch arm. I also tweaked the magazine feed lips so they loaded easier.

Kinda wished I picked one of these g5's sooner but oh well...I scored two brand new ones for a good price :)

Picked up the KWA AK74M when it came out. Gun is a fantastic shooter.

--------------

Between the ghk g5 and vfc ump, which has better recoil (with the recoil set to heavy on the ump)? How's the range/accuracy on the ump vs. the g5?

Will the ump run on 134a? Just curious as I really would like to avoid leaky mags.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, after sorting out the issues with my UMP (mags fixed by RenegadeCow, replaced the pants hop-up rubber with a new one) I finally took it out on an extended game weekend (Saturday Sunday games).

The gun is a boss. With the new hopup, it was doing 100 feet shots easy, though there were shots were the BBs underhopped. Overall the gun performed well. Without an optic attached to it, it was amazingly light, lighter than a G5 which allowed me to run farther and faster compared to when I was using my WE ACR. 

One thing with the mags though that unless you take out the metal spacer on the bottom of the magazine when you disassemble the gun, you can only put at most like 18 rounds in there. Without the spacer, I was able to cram around 30 rounds in there.

Between the ghk g5 and vfc ump, which has better recoil (with the recoil set to heavy on the ump)? How's the range/accuracy on the ump vs. the g5?

Will the ump run on 134a? Just curious as I really would like to avoid leaky mags.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The G5 has a better hop out of the box, although it does overhop on lighter BBs. My UMP had hop problems from day one, which was solved after RenegadeCow reprofiled the hop arm and when I replaced the hop rubber with a new one. I've seen videos of people running the UMP using 134a, though your problem won't be the gas, it's the gas router on top of the magazine and the magazine itself (check RC's comments in this thread). Some say that VFC has fixed that issue with newer versions of the mag, but to be sure you would want to stock up on new gas routes that's available from WGC. 

The recoil is pretty hard, much more than the G5 (I have both). In fact, the recoil of the gun actually shattered a repro doctor sight that I have while I was trying to zero it, an optic that has gone on multiple gas guns (WE M14, WE AK PMC) without issues. I'm scared to put another airsoft optic on it for that very reason. 

Edited by calbur20
  • Like 1

Yes sorry, I had to edit something and it escaped me. The thing is that even with the metal spacer removed, it's difficult to cram enough rounds in there. Difficult, but not impossible. If you really tried hard, you could probably get 30 rounds in, but most times it's just 25. Last time I tried to fill it to the full 30 rounds I broke the stem of my speed loader. The magazine is a single stack design, which might explain my difficulty in loading it.

• 1 month later...

I finally got one, got it off Bunnyworkshop and they did it for a pretty good price including the top rail and suppressor, they also offered to fix all the mags for me upon purchasing them... but I am genuinely surprised by the performance, kicks super hard for such a small gun, even with the valve release set forward, wonder how well it'd work in the cold when I get back to the UK though, but all in all, I'm really happy with it so far.