Magpul PDR Grip Extension!

Hi there, I recently purchased the Magpul PDR, I am pretty comfortable with the handling of the P90, but the extremely long magazines means less usability for me. So the PDR seems to be a very good choice, Stanag mags, packed in the bullpup fashion of the P90.

Sadly, I found two major problems with the PDR, first, I have many mini-type batteries that doesn't fit, and I'm not a big fan of LiPo batteries, and the most important problem is that GUN GRIP IS EXTREMELY SHORT, most of your palm and your little finger grips nothing. 

So I packed up my 3D skills and made a 3D printed Grip extension.

MagpulPDR01.jpg

I found (apart of being able to use bigger batteries) that handling the PDR is really nice and slick now... it is not only the feeling of it, now I get many more control over the gun. In fact, the good point about bullpups is that many of the weight goes back, and that is specially good when you have to handle the gun one handed (example: when jumping over small obstacles, windows, fences... when you have to launch from the floor firing...) as you can make your shoulder absorb most of the weight, you can keep a somehow balanced firing.

With the bigger grip the PDR raises to its full potential. You can use ALL your hand to grip the gun and not only half palm and 3 fingers.

MagpulPDR02.jpg

You can have a look at it here, I used Shapeways.com to print the piece, and it is available there for everyone:

3D printed grip fits perfectly in the gun, no wobble, no cracky sounds... you can use up to a mini type battery and if you print it in black, it is plug and play, as you can see in the photos. This is Version 3, which means I went throug 2 prototypes to polish the final model.

Another nice feature I've put into practice is to have a small ris under the grip. The PDR lacks of enough rail space, if you want to use an eotech 551 (is the one I have) and backup sights, you can't put anything else on the PDR, in fact, you'll have to keep the front sight up to be able to attach the 551.

MagpulPDR05.jpg

So, for the flashlight I tryed the bottom approach and I must say it works incredibly well! 

Gun operation doesn't interferes at all with the light beam, and having the light source below the gun helps a lot to not being flashed when projecting it on reflective surfaces (metal, windows, mirrors...) as the gun body prevents the beam reflection to reach your eyes.

Nothing else, I hope you like it :)

MagpulPDR03.jpg

This is the fully loaded version, using Ak style mags from King Arms (after a small modification they work and feed pretty good) and flashlight below the grip.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to mention, as this post can be considered a Commercial Posting (as for every printing I get a small markup from Shapeways services), if moderator consideres this post should be deleted, please do it!!!

I don't want to bother anyone, in fact I just want to spread my work that I thing is a must have for this gun :)

Thank you in advance.

Outstanding job, mate! as FK said, congratulations for making the job the company should have done quite some time ago. Big hand users will thank you for ages

Now wait patiently until PTS dogs/lawyers knock to your door as the grip extension was an already planned accesory for the little gun.

Thank you all for your comments  :)

Not being able to use a Mini type battery (for only 1cm or so) and having most of the hand off the grip... are two big problems; with an easy solution indeed  :D

As there is no official release news from Magpul for doing such NEEDED piece, I went for it on 3D... I'm not making a copy of nothing, nor including a Magpul logo (probably all the chinese magpul stuff is something to really worry about, and not my item), so, it is not likely to receive a visit from Mr. Costa jumping through my bedroom's window.  :D

I've already made some 3D stuff with shapeways and I think the future is there (now I'm trying to put some money apart to buy a 3D printer). For the airsoft hobby, possibilities are endles, form custom optics mounts to customized receivers... with a digital caliper, any 3D sofware, and some spare time, there is much to be achieved!

One of the features I like the most in my extension piece is the mini-ris. Not for all the situations, but if you need a flashlight, that is a revolutionary place to put it  :rolleyes:

MagpulPDR06.jpg

Muy bien, monstruo!

I was actually thinking about this this very morning! Congratulations on the job and be sure to publicize this as much as you can, so people give you the money, instead of to someone else. You made it, you profit.

Muy bien, monstruo!

I was actually thinking about this this very morning! Congratulations on the job and be sure to publicize this as much as you can, so people give you the money, instead of to someone else. You made it, you profit.

¡Gracias Chas!

This gun needs more grip, I'll be more than happy if I can reach a bunch of PDR owners and they find my extensions useful. And if it results in enough markup to pay for the prototype printing then... perfect! :D

Outstanding utilisation of shapeways, just as it should be used!

Thank you Coolurjets, I'm "on fire" with all the 3D printing technology, I'm pretty sure that all this will change many business models quite soon as people will be able to print locally many specialiced products made by them or by others, that could cost a lot of time, resources and shipping costs to produce and sell... and soon people will have a domestic 3D printer just like almost everyone have a colour printer.

AH! here it goes another photo of the bullpuppy:

MagpulPDRNormandys.JPG

As amazing as this work is it doesn't make up for the fact that the Magpul PDR is still a somewhat expensive pile of 'meh' :P.

Though I am sure the opportunity to use mini batteries rather than LiPos will get some people interested too save them having to buy a whole new lot of batteries and such.

'FireKnife'

Thank you all for your comments :) 

Genius idea, and very well done. Suits the look of the gun very well, really good job man.

Very nicely done - it really does blend in surprisingly cleanly with the gun's color and lines.

Yes, I tryed to suit the look of the gun as much as possible and go with the flow of the gun lines. My photographic skill really sucks, and the piece is black over black so it's hard to get the details, but anti-slip rivets are the same of the gun's grip, side handles are similar to original short piece and I've even planned to have some details like the magpul logo on the sides... but using magpul logo seems like a bad Idea, and using any other motive (like skulls or something) doesn't fit everyones taste. So, finally, flat sides :P

Want!

Well done Lad! Should show the people at MagPul they need to pull it out else the user's will create and fund each other's awesome creations!

Every company should take community into account, with 3D printing technology prototyping has become really cheap, so there is no excuse not to produce what people need. Since the early stages of the PDR release everyone was asking for longer grip, so...

Yes! in TFB and all the US market, printing weapons is trending topic right now :D

Even if this is not a weapon, nor weapon related, it is a good point to be able to print custom parts and accesories. I'm an airsofter but a Sport Shooter too, and in this hobby, small business with 3D scanning technology could make some money (in example) scanning hand grip on plaster and printing perfect fit grips for competition guns... there is an incredible potential here.

Great job! Did you consider replacing the front piece of plastic under the barrel to fit a flashlight too?? #hinthint #nudgenudge

#SayNoMooore, I've been taking measures, but there are two problemas about this, world of flashlights is full of differents lengths, diameters, styles, prices... so there is no such thing as an standard hole. The second problem is that the front piece has a very thin space behind, you can't insert something deep there so your flashlight should be really short and a 3-AAA battery lamp probably wouldnt fit.

I've been going through dealextreme's catalogue to find a suitable lamp to start from, but nothing really catched my attention. Finally (as start) I ordered this one: http://dx.com/p/richuang-rc-7001-30-lumen-led-flashlight-with-clip-1-aaa-44168

It is only 3USD and it happens to have the diameter of the standard piece hole.

My point is trying to use a flashlight without having to modify the gun, that is without having to drill the lower receiver to accomodate switches. So the point is to try to use a light that you activate pushing it inside the gun and activating the back button by pressure. I got this cheap light for testing purposes, maybe if the test goes fine, I could try on creating a piece with bigger hole and using a bigger flashlight.

If I reach some good port, I'll post it! :)

As amazing as this work is it doesn't make up for the fact that the Magpul PDR is still a somewhat expensive pile of 'meh'  :P.

Though I am sure the opportunity to use mini batteries rather than LiPos will get some people interested too save them having to buy a whole new lot of batteries and such.

You're right, the PDR is a pile of 'meh', it goes on the EXPENSIVE side of the airsoft guns and you get something far from the quality you can expect. First of all, it has no mosfet, even if you really need to use lipo batteries. If you use 11.1 lipos, the gun doublefires (too many juice) and you clearly see the electric sparkles on the contacts (bad!). The gearbox come completely dry, I mean dry as the Sahara, not a single drop of grease!!! Mag extraction and trigger action need to be greased almost after every gaming day to work properly...

I really love the goon looking, how it handles and how it perfoms (it is rather precise), but they've made a very poor production on it :(

I totally understand that there are just too many choices for flashlights!  However I did get myself one of these: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/g-p-t1-cree-led-flashlight-w-pressure-switch-fit-kriss-vector.html

I reckon this would be a good size for the PDR and a good look!

Keep up the good work!  (I just wished shapeways offered a bundle of grip+rail & the sealed end grip!) ;-)

very nice piece there. looks like I'll head down to shapeways.

But just for the record, the PDR is not expensive 'meh' you spoiled little brats! :P

You guys just pay too much for it. :P

I paid £260 for mine, and yes that includes shipping & taxes.

Just waited for the right moment to buy from EhobbyA.

all gearboxes are ###### anyways (except for TM), the chinese ones just a bit more. :P

And be happy they are, otherwise there would be nothing to do on a AEG except installing some rail, sights, and a flash light. :mellow:

And be happy they are, otherwise there would be nothing to do on a AEG except installing some rail, sights, and a flash light. :mellow:

AH! good old times!! :D When you only had a tiny Marui catalogue and MP5s from KA... and opening the gearbox was close to sacrilege... good old times. Now if you don't open the gearbox as soon as it comes, the gun will probably never work at all :no:

I totally understand that there are just too many choices for flashlights!  However I did get myself one of these: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/g-p-t1-cree-led-flashlight-w-pressure-switch-fit-kriss-vector.html

I reckon this would be a good size for the PDR and a good look!

Keep up the good work!  (I just wished shapeways offered a bundle of grip+rail & the sealed end grip!) ;-)

One of the good things about shapeways is that it brings creators pretty close to potential consumers... do you want that two piece bundle? you got it! B)

http://shpws.me/ok0f

About the lamp, I've to take some measures and get some conclusions... I'm thinking about a multidiameter piece... with the "tunnel" walls with lips disposed in spiral, as the material is somehow flexible when you go thinner than 1mm, that spiral lips could adapt themselves (without moving parts) to any diameter from 16mm to 25mm... I've to make some tests and the most important, measure how many space we got inside... I promise nothing but it is worhy to measure the posibilities.

I forgot to mention, as this post can be considered a Commercial Posting (as for every printing I get a small markup from Shapeways services), if moderator consideres this post should be deleted, please do it!!!

I don't want to bother anyone, in fact I just want to spread my work that I thing is a must have for this gun :)

Thank you in advance.

Drop a mod a PM for commercial status. Its free and all you have to do is ask :D

Archived