Magpul PDR Grip Extension!

Mixed feeling about that being posted on TheFireArms blog. As much as I like that blog for gun news, I'd rather not have shapeways pulled into the second amendment debate.

As a heads up, Arnies user Deinhardt had Tanaka and Marushin SAA triggers on Shapeways for a while but they got removed. It seem they very clearly want out of anything remotely gun related.

Topo, a bit laborious, but a fix would be to upload the model yourself privately, hidden from public, and then take orders over Paypal via forums like this and produce batches to sell from shape ways. I'd suggest avoiding file names remotely connected to anything gun/airsoft. Call the file something like Fridge Bracket.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for taking too long to write down some updates. It seems that Shapeways is actively deleting any item related to firearms, airsoft, knives, and others, in their own words:

"we've decided to err on the side of caution and use it to include all weapons including airsoft, knives, knuckle dusters and so on."

Obviously, gun 3D printing is now hype... like if someone could print a functional full auto gun out from plastic. Not entering the debate about that, I'm sure that everyone thinks that it is easier to make a home-made gun out of steel pipe than risking severe injuries from using a plastic printed gun.

Anyway, Shapeways are going hard into USA market, so they are trying to avoid anything that can collide with the latest USA regulations.

I totally understand their position and they replied long and clear all the mails I've sent about this to their customer service, even if I disagree with them (still consider airsoft a TOY) I am thankfull about how they treat their clients :)

If I upload the model again I risk my account to be banned, and that's something I really won't like to happen. I can create another user, don't upload any photo or try to print a batch for my own and sell it through ebay or other means... but it isn't worthy for me right now.

I'm sad as my purpose was to make something really usable by the comunity (not getting rich from it) and having it deleted was a bucket of cold water right to my head (if you know what I mean).

Trying to print a batch and selling them in small numbers is not worthy, it is time consuming and I dont want the risk of the Shapeways ban. :(

So probably, the grip extension will become a legend until Magpul decides to release one on their own... at least 1 of them was sold and sent to a lucky user :)

Maybe there are other services similar to shapeways which wont delete your work, or worst case scenario, you can allways offer the archive under an open non profitable license

Either way, this was just an awesome idea and just the begining of what our hobby can get to once the 3d printing becomes more "mainstream"

Topo, gracias y buena suerte ;)

would it be possible for us to make some sort of petition to get them to continue printing your item? if you inform them that this is a toy part and could never even be used on a real gun (being that there is no such thing as a real PDR) and that its a highly desired item for PDR owning airsofters, maybe they could make a special exception for us?

@Topo Cummon, don't lose hope yet!  See if your design can be shared with these guys that Aod mention....!!

Am I sounding too desperate?

I don't know about you but I'm desperate, I want one of those grip extensions badly! :D

I.materialise seem to be based in Belgium so faster shipping for those of us in Europe, which is a bonus I suppose.

There are other commercial 3D printing sites, this one looks pretty promising;

http://i.materialise.com/

Polyamide available as a material option (should work well) and the prices seem much more reasonable than those of Shapeways.

This last two weeks were crazy at work (12 hours work on a daily basis) so I've had not much time to carry on this project.

Thank you for the suggestion AOD, I'm signing up right now at i-materialise.com and it looks very promising! This evening I'll try to upload the models there and see the results. 

Stay tunned  :busted_blue:

Good news everyone!

I went for i.materialise.com and already uploaded and ordered a prototype. As soon as it is shipped it will be available for everyone. But I'll not make them visible until I get my copy, to make sure what finish is better and if it works properly.

One thing I like from I.Materialise.com is that you can't upload a model and sell it if you don't print it for your own... many times people sell models in shapeways and doesn't test them before, which is not nice... I like the concept from users to users, you know being a prosumer, better than trying to sell as many stuff as possible. :)

I will come here again as soon as I got something new.

• 3 weeks later...

UP AGAIN!!!

Finally, after the long proces of uplading them, getting the prototype and publishing... the PDR grip extensions are again up and ready! :) This time at i.materialise.com (thanks Aod for your suggestion).

You can get them here:

http://i.materialise.com/gallery/bb28995a-22c9-47f6-80b8-32bc3755af11
http://i.materialise.com/gallery/6813a3fd-342e-4011-8a1b-d08d795bb3b4
http://i.materialise.com/gallery/1002ca52-db4c-4ecf-83f2-60072229e0ed

If you're interested I suggest to hurry... I hope they don't remove them this time, but... you never know :(

The printings from I.MAterialise are great... maybe they have somehow less resolution (about 5%) than Shapeways... but the black coating is definitively better! They fit like a glove on the PDR and are rough enough to avoid any finger slip.

Thank you all for your support. :)

Soooo... How much longer is the battery-space with these?

Looking a second-hand PDR and i'd imagine one of these is a must.

~30€ aint bad also. Slap a PTS-logo on it and its four times that.

Is it just me or does the texture look a bit different then the stock? Im VERY picky about these sorta details. Some paint dont stick to regular POM very well, hows this? I'd imagine being able sleep easy if i give it matte-black paintjob or better yet, OD along with the rest of the gun.

Got one of those annual "i likes OD things" moments going on.

Thank you all for your purchases!  :) I really hope this time all the items ordered are printed and sent. And after that, I hope that you really enjoy using the pieces. For me it is a must have. I changed last skirmish back to the original just to try it again and... ! the original is way too short to be used once you're into the longer grip.

Swatti, about your questions, the grip is long enough to hold a mini-type 8.4v nicd battery... it is hard to estimate the full measure of the battery you can use as many times the wiring is longer or more rigid, which really impacts in the small space that you have for the battery. But with the right wiring position, and not having to open the upper receiver at all, you can bet you can hold a mini type in there  :rolleyes:

The texture is a little different, the extension uses printing plastic which tends to be more rough than molde PVC used in the gun, but the difference is more appreciable in the photos, where tones of black and surface reflection is more appreciable. With your eyes there is not much difference, and as the surface is more rough, it is less slippery too, making it more comfortable to use.

If you have furthers questions or need other photos just ask for them. 

A couple of comments about the pieces durability:

At Airsoft Odyssey one user commented that it can dissolve on water, polyamide, material used for this kind of 3D printing, seems to absorb moisture, but the ratio is extremely low (0,2% as far as I know), anyway, I was worried about the comment and make a try. I boiled water and then dripped one of the pieces inside, let the water cold and tested the piece... I found no changes on the piece, same strength and no dilatations... anyway I left the piece 24 hours more into water. After that the piece kept the same, no dilatation, no changes in its hardness... So, water test passed!  :D

I've skirmishing a bit with the piece I like to use ( a prototype of the vented one), black coating resisted pretty well, no scratches so far, and it has the same tight fit as the first day, piece never got out of place and all the heat of the spanish summer, and my acid-like sweat had no effect on it. So, everything ok with the grip extension.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say.... "I just got my PDR grip extensions today!! Perfect timing for the NAE13 weekender tomorrow!"

Initial thoughts are that they are a "perfect" fit! Feels much better to handle the PDR. My longer 1450 lipo (129 x 22 x 12mm) fits perfectly with plenty of space. I am very, very pleased with them!! Thx Topo!

Pics to be uploaded later, if I find the time after packing my gear for NAE!

got mine in yesterday, same verdict as Deadmeat.

The extensions have a very solid feel to it and fit perfectly. No wobble whatsoever.

Needless to say, it is a must buy for PDR owners, unless you have hamster hands, then you wouldn't need these grips in the first place, except for extra battery space. :D

Oh and the whole deal about the different material is not an issue for me as the feel is comfortable and the look is good to me. Very solid, yet not brittle so I agree with NeoVeNoM that this a must purchase for any PDR owner... but it is more than the €30 when you add up everything! Thanks Topo!!

Ok here are my pics of the grip extension:

post-77631-0-97736800-1377538403_thumb.jpg

post-77631-0-03715900-1377538415_thumb.jpg

post-77631-0-29745100-1377538426_thumb.jpg

post-77631-0-38860000-1377538679_thumb.jpg

post-77631-0-76255200-1377538689_thumb.jpg

I used the non-railed extension all weekend at NAE at I have to admit it felt a lot more comfortable with the grip extension on, plus I only used the 1450 lipo for the entire weekend!!!  Didn't even need to change batteries!!!

The plastic is different but it is solid and fits neatly and will be difficult to break as it is tough.  I highly recommend these grip extensions to any PDR owners!

GREAT! Thank you for the photos and the comments Deadmeta and NeoVeNoM, and of course thank you very much for the purchase.

I'm really glad to know that you're happy with them :D

It's yet unvelievable that Magpul didn't released this kind of piece, as you noted, you need to have hamster hands to feel comfortable with the short original one... I tryed a skirmish going back to the short grip and... it was so uncomfortable!

About shapeways, even if they've become more flexible about airsfot, I've a personal email advising me not to upload them again or my account will be banned, so, I really don't want to risk nor losing the remnant orders for the X-Wing miniatures (quite popular indeed).

Again, thank you all for your comments :)

Archived