Rules vs. Requirements

IBMedic

The bang rule is a sensible rule for places like my local site. There's a lot of rentals there, mainly kids, who don't like getting shot at point blank. Not that it helps sometimes. Last game I had somebody from 5 feet put a burst into the side of my head even though we were standing next to each other! Another friend of mine also took 4 rounds across his forehead from another guy at the same sort of range.

The bang is a silly rule because it takes the place of firing a shot and is a mandatory hit. This is daft - what if the player's gun was empty? Jammed? What if, in the hypothetical situation where he did fire, he missed? It just adds a really artificial layer to short range/sneaky combat. You also get (generally newer players) trying to 'sniper-bang' people from distances where they could quite safely shoot, or trying to bang kill groups of people. Or, as I had happen to me once, some kid stuck his gun through a gap in the barricade I was hiding behind and squeaked 'bang!' (I took it anyway because I didn't really know what else to do and to be fair he was to be commended for getting that close to our line without being shot). That's patently total rubbish - not only is that blind firing, he would he almost certainly have missed had he tried to shoot me.

A much better idea is offering a surrender to someone you've snuck up on. It's a subtle difference, but the surrender call is optional on both sides. You don't have to offer it (though it gentlemanly and sporting) and you don't have to take it. If you think you can turn and shoot the guy then that's your call. Much more organic and doesn't involve a gamey rule.

With this, if you come up behind a bunch of enemies, you're faced with the same dilemma you would be if you did it for real - how to take them all out quickly enough before one turns and shoots you. There is no questionable mid-range banging. And my personal pet hate - when two players come face to face at point blank (perhaps by rounding a corner), it just comes a race to who can shout 'bang' first  - which is the naffest thing ever!

My first regular site ran the bang rule and I didn't really know any better so I used it like everyone else, but when I started reading around I realised how daft it is. My current site, Gunman Midlands, doesn't use it and is better for it.

The bang is a silly rule because it takes the place of firing a shot and is a mandatory hit. This is daft - what if the player's gun was empty? Jammed? What if, in the hypothetical situation where he did fire, he missed? It just adds a really artificial layer to short range/sneaky combat. You also get (generally newer players) trying to 'sniper-bang' people from distances where they could quite safely shoot, or trying to bang kill groups of people. Or, as I had happen to me once, some kid stuck his gun through a gap in the barricade I was hiding behind and squeaked 'bang!' (I took it anyway because I didn't really know what else to do and to be fair he was to be commended for getting that close to our line without being shot). That's patently total rubbish - not only is that blind firing, he would he almost certainly have missed had he tried to shoot me.

A much better idea is offering a surrender to someone you've snuck up on. It's a subtle difference, but the surrender call is optional on both sides. You don't have to offer it (though it gentlemanly and sporting) and you don't have to take it. If you think you can turn and shoot the guy then that's your call. Much more organic and doesn't involve a gamey rule.

With this, if you come up behind a bunch of enemies, you're faced with the same dilemma you would be if you did it for real - how to take them all out quickly enough before one turns and shoots you. There is no questionable mid-range banging. And my personal pet hate - when two players come face to face at point blank (perhaps by rounding a corner), it just comes a race to who can shout 'bang' first  - which is the naffest thing ever!

My first regular site ran the bang rule and I didn't really know any better so I used it like everyone else, but when I started reading around I realised how daft it is. My current site, Gunman Midlands, doesn't use it and is better for it.

I'm not going to disagree with you there.

It's supposed to be sensible in the fact that the site is younger player friendly. The site doesn't want the younger guns getting lit up and point blank and then not coming back. The problem this causes though is the fact that the young ones tend to full auto everything regardless of distance, so the older players end up getting laced up anyway. I totally agree with the part about coming up on multiple players as well.

At Battle Lakes where I marshal, there is no bang rule at all. I've seen all kinds of spectacular fails that wouldn't happen with a bang rule. One memorable one was somebody snuck round behind the opposite team. I gave him a signal so he might try and knife him, however he pulled out his side arm. A pull of the trigger later and there was a massive HISS and cloud of gas where the pistol had decided to fail. The unsuspecting victim turned around, shot the guy and carried on!

Over here the Bang kill is not a mandatory hit - it is expected that you offer it if in a position to do so, but that if they do anything except raise their hand and call hit, you take the shot. You can only offer a bang kill if your gun is capable of firing (i.e. people are outside of your MED, gun has gas/BB's, and is not jammed or otherwise broken) - you can simply not take the hit, but you have to be prepared to get shot because of it. Anyone who offers the bang kill should have you dead to rights, or they shouldn't offer it. So if someone doesn't take it, they shouldn't get pissy because they should be able to still make the shot. If they can't, then they shouldn't have offered it in the first place.

Abuse of courtesy rules is irritating, especially because it causes them to be misunderstood and treated as a game-changing weapon i.e. a guaranteed kill, which it isn't.

Ideally it would be good if you could regulate being sensible but that isn't going to happen. Rules are there to try and make the game fair and enjoyable and what works at one site wont necessarily work at another. I work on the basis that 5% of people will always do the right thing no matter what. 5% will always be the opposite and the other 90% you try and keep on the right side. It doesn't matter what rules and regs you have in place there will always be a handful that try and skirt them, so do what you can to keep it safe and enjoyable for the majority.

B->

Inari that sounds more like a 'surrender' than a 'bang' rule.

Often some sites employ one or the other like so:

Bang = You are hit in the same way as being shot, no arguing, but the player must be in a position of x number of metres and be able to fire normally.

Surrender = You are offered to take the hit, however you don't have to and is meant more as a chance to either test your ability or admit defeat. If you go to take a shot you will get hit, but nothing to say you can't stay in.

Some sites run one or the other and some even run both, just depends what the site is like. I recall being offered a surrender, moved my hand up to my shoulder holstered 1911 and fire two shots into my opponent at about 4m away as I realised I had the opportunity to and they took it, knowing the rules of the site. I have even been shot myself after offering a surrender. Then again I have been at sites that demand a bang rule, have been shot within the MED for a bang kill and pointed it out to a marshal. Either way I always play by the rules of the house / site as that is what they have put in place, no point complaining, if it is that bad play somewhere else next time, if you can.

'FireKnife'

Over here the Bang kill is not a mandatory hit - it is expected that you offer it if in a position to do so, but that if they do anything except raise their hand and call hit, you take the shot. You can only offer a bang kill if your gun is capable of firing (i.e. people are outside of your MED, gun has gas/BB's, and is not jammed or otherwise broken) - you can simply not take the hit, but you have to be prepared to get shot because of it. Anyone who offers the bang kill should have you dead to rights, or they shouldn't offer it. So if someone doesn't take it, they shouldn't get pissy because they should be able to still make the shot. If they can't, then they shouldn't have offered it in the first place.

Abuse of courtesy rules is irritating, especially because it causes them to be misunderstood and treated as a game-changing weapon i.e. a guaranteed kill, which it isn't.

That just sounds exactly like the surrender rule we run but called the bang rule, no complaints with that. Works well.

As a set of rhetorical questions:

How many times have we seen people, due to there professed experience continue to fiddle with kit during safety or game breifs?

How many times have there been travelling players who say "That's not how it works at XYZ" site?

How many times have you heard or asked directing staff and "marshals" what the respawn / scenario boundaries / use of xyz are during a game?

I've either seen it, heard it or been asked them many times, this is after a safety breif that covers site boundaries, fps restrictions, site specific pyrotechnics rules, contraband items (fixed bladed knives, rubber daggers, alcohol, illegal substances etc.), Marshal and Directing / safety channel for radio and other site specific requirements, which I'm not going to list, as I can't be bothered typing out the overall safety breif with its restrictions and reccomendations.

Players are there own worst enemies when it comes to rules and / or requirements, turning up to theme games with specific requirements without taking any notice of those requirements, ignoring site specific age restrictions (set down by the land owners) or even specific game rules to "win" or be "super sealz".

Things like that are compounded when players who are precived as being experienced stretch / bend the rules and requirements or don't listen, newer players or hires are likely to follow suit, creating a very bad tempered and poor day.

Every location and group has its own variations of rules and requirements aimed at providing a baseline for game play, some are harsher than others, some are a set of well meaning unspoken things between a group of people.

sent using tapatalk 4 beta

Archived