looking for a leatherworker

bobthebuilder

Just admit you make those cheap assless chaps that people can get on mail order, we all know someone is behind it :P.

Saying that the leather holsters and parts you do are damn good work, so perhaps with time and effort info can be learned from there.

'FireKnife'

Just admit you make those cheap assless chaps that people can get on mail order, we all know someone is behind it :P.

Saying that the leather holsters and parts you do are damn good work, so perhaps with time and effort info can be learned from there.

'FireKnife'

why is it that both my threads on this (on here and another forum) someone brings up assless chaps? :rolleyes:

why is it that both my threads on this (on here and another forum) someone brings up assless chaps? :rolleyes:

Because I saw both threads and lets face it RCs does have some 'moments' where he comes up with anything. Though at least he didn't make the *fruitcage*-able My Little Pony :P

Either way I am sure it is a skill that can be learned quite easily, just it would take a time to master. But then if it is just for yourself then a frayed edge or something isn't as bad as a mass market design that needs to be perfect to outsell the competition.

Also this isn't Zero In, you can mention other forums. We are not morons that assume that by closing our eyes and ears to the world we will conquer all and get to treat everyone like an idiot ;).

'FireKnife'

Because I saw both threads and lets face it RCs does have some 'moments' where he comes up with anything. Though at least he didn't make the *fruitcage*-able My Little Pony :P

Either way I am sure it is a skill that can be learned quite easily, just it would take a time to master. But then if it is just for yourself then a frayed edge or something isn't as bad as a mass market design that needs to be perfect to outsell the competition.

Also this isn't Zero In, you can mention other forums. We are not morons that assume that by closing our eyes and ears to the world we will conquer all and get to treat everyone like an idiot ;).

'FireKnife'

I'm not knocking it. Did get a bit of a snigger when I read it.

I don't mention other forums out of habit. A few that I'm on either don't like you mentioning others (usually due to endless cross forum "drama" than any kind of closed shop policy) or don't like being advertised for various reasons.

I might have to give DIY a go. Although it may take some time before I can afford to start messing about with it. but I suppose that's the advantage of a "back burner" project. I don't have to get it done right now, I can wait a while.

Don't worry, it is just that I can't stand the attitude of Zero In with that whole 'we are the only shop in the world' attitude.

Either way you can either ask a few places, some might be funny if it is gun related though, or give it a go yourself. May be a useful skill, you never know.

'FireKnife'

Have made my own leather knife sheath before, it isn't as hard as it appears. The wetforming was certainly easier than expected. I bought 1.5 mm veg tan leather on ebay, some waxed thread and leather needles from a local sowing shop and used a small drill bit to make the holes. To keep the holes uniform distance apart, I dented the leather using a fork. It's just a case of take your time, think and away you go. 

Have made my own leather knife sheath before, it isn't as hard as it appears. The wetforming was certainly easier than expected. I bought 1.5 mm veg tan leather on ebay, some waxed thread and leather needles from a local sowing shop and used a small drill bit to make the holes. To keep the holes uniform distance apart, I dented the leather using a fork. It's just a case of take your time, think and away you go. 

This got me thinking. and I remembered I had once had a couple of guides to sheath making saved from another of my many previous "projects I never got started". 

Still got them saved on my hard-drive. so that's given me a leg up.

and one of my mates has remembered he's got a load of leather going spare from some cosplay project. Traded my old viper shoulder holster in for it, and I'm halfway there allready!

I might have to give DIY a go. Although it may take some time before I can afford to start messing about with it. but I suppose that's the advantage of a "back burner" project. I don't have to get it done right now, I can wait a while.

Leatherworking can be very inexpensive with a heap of DIY alternatives to tools like emergencychimp mentioned. Things like using regular linen thread and simply waxing them yourself with beeswax (I use a candle), using a soldering iron for burnishing edges, that sort of thing. When it comes down to it, the most expensive parts of it would be the leather itself and your time. Saddle stitching takes a while to get used to and it's slow going being one stitch at a time so I'd suggest you get right to it quick. If you need practice before working on an actual piece, you could have a go at an old belt.

Archived