To buy or not to buy a new AEG, that is the question

Cpt. Winters

Hi there,

After a long absence I've decided to start playing again. The following is my dilemma.

I have an old G&P M4A but right now it's useless, as it's lacking piston, motor and battery. Also, this replica has a particularly annoying issue, which –I believe– used to be very common a few years ago on all the G&P M4A1 replicas (but I guess at this point G&P already fixed that): feeding problems – the magazines don't fit well and are a little bit loose.

I should mention also that I modified my replica this way:      NRG Mechanics - Customized Airsoft Guns --. So I put a RAS on the front and now I use the battery on the stock.

Alternative A: to buy a new piston, motor and battery to start shooting again. Then I'd buy a new lower receiver in order to fix the feeding problems (even though I'm not sure what kind of lower receiver I should buy in order to support the wires through the buffer tube). And then I'd buy the few accessories that I need in order to make it SOPMOD block II.

Alternative B: to forget that damn old replica and buy a new AEG. In this case I'd like to buy something "realistic", good looking and competent for skirmishes (top notch), and it should be a M4A1 SOPMOD but with the battery on the stock (I just hate those batteries connected to a PEQ box). Any suggestion on this?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Depends on what you want and where you're playing.

Marui SOPMOD is entirely skirmishable out of the box, despite the lower fps. I run mine at a woodland site and didn't sit there feeling outranged. Obviously if you're in the US with 400fps limits, it might be a different story. It is also going to cost you. Around £450 for the base gun and then magazines...

Rebuilding your base gun - could be done, again, depends on budget and if you want to or you want something new. The advantage with doing that is far more options in terms of receiver styles, mosfets, battery locations, etc. Probably the cheapest option given that AR 15 parts are the most easily found new and secondhand.

Or, third option, pick up a different AEG secondhand from the boards. Prices have come down a lot due to all the clones, and if you get something you later don't like you can probably resell it with minimal loss. The only issue there is waiting for something you like to come up.

Bb flight time can be an issue if using a tm gun at maximum ranges , but they can be modded to increase fps . Absolute range is very good on them out of the box .

Top techs g&g are also exceptionally good out of the box nowadays , easily hitting 50/ 60 Mtrs and also very reliable .

G&p guns suffer with bad hops / rubbers out of the box

The newer model clones are now chomping at the performance of established leaders nowadays for nearly half the price .

Have seen combat machine g&g guns embarrass guns costing 4 x more than them . Most hit 50/ 55 Mtrs out of the box nowadays .

Get yourself a new piston, new motor, new gear set and just use tape around your mags - no need for a new receiver.

For a total of €75 your gun would be back up and running, with a pretty damned good rate of fire and trigger response. I would also spend 10 minutes on the G&P hop up chamber with a craft knife - a huge amount of their chambers come with miscast plastic parts which cause the adjustment to feel notchy; removing the excess plastic, and changing the hop up bucking and nub will give you far better results. Change the barrel for greater consistency. That would be a further €50 in parts, so for €125 you've got yourself a high quality (externals) gun with nice ROF, solid trigger response and more than serviceable range.

Otherwise buy a new gun - TM SOPMOD seems to fit your bill the best; it is easily one of the best out of the box guns there is. Similarly the G&G/TopTech guns are very good - their motors are trash though; replace for a Lonex Titan or SHS High Torque, and you'll be gravy!

After reading multiple reviews about the TM SOPMOD, I do also think it might be a great choice. Although I have no experience with it, it does sound like it's perfect for you, as long as you upgrade the spring. It's also said to be a very reliable AEG and it looks pretty well. If it doesn't necessarily has to be an AEG, the KJW M4's also seem to be a good choice. I've heard they perform quite well out of the box. If you do want an AEG, I would choose the TM. It's one of the few M4 AEG's I would consider if I had to buy one. Good luck finding the right gun B)

he's laughing because hop-up plays far more of a role in determining the range of a gun than the FPS does.  270FPS is low, no argument, but the SOPMOD will still outrange (marginally) many guns which shoot 350FPS simply because of the quality of the hop-up.  

Tokyo Marui rifles are in my opinion the most out-of-the-box skirmishable rifles available and require absolutely no tweaks or mods to perform really well.  

That said, if you're playing in the states with a high FPS limit (400 say) then it's only a spring change required to bump the FPS of a SOPMOD and you're still getting the advantage of the Marui hop-up. 

On the tm recoil guns its not just a case of putting in a stronger spring . Well not if you want it to last any amount of time . Further upgrade work is required to run more fps . whereas with g&g , realsword , Cyma it is a downgrade spring required , the internals are already up to the job .

In my experience the real sword guns are the best ranging guns out of the box . My 56.1 was hitting 65 70 meters with no mods at rift at 370 fps . Straight out of the box with no mods , it has now had a more usable 350 fps spring fitted and can still easily hit a target at 65 Mtrs . As witnessed by all the guys at pas and the marshalls at rift . My type 97 . Is running at 305 fps and hits60mtrs effortlessly both these guns outrange the pas boys 416 and other tm recoil guns , be interesting to see how their guns do once they fit the upgrade parts to them they have just brought .

he's laughing because hop-up plays far more of a role in determining the range of a gun than the FPS does. 270FPS is low, no argument, but the SOPMOD will still outrange (marginally) many guns which shoot 350FPS simply because of the quality of the hop-up.

Tokyo Marui rifles are in my opinion the most out-of-the-box skirmishable rifles available and require absolutely no tweaks or mods to perform really well.

That said, if you're playing in the states with a high FPS limit (400 say) then it's only a spring change required to bump the FPS of a SOPMOD and you're still getting the advantage of the Marui hop-up.

Last time I checked, more than just a spring upgrade was required.

Also, while the SOPMOD may have great internals and range, 270 fps, for the game conditions I play in, is way far from ideal.

And btw I don't remember saying something like fps = distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Maybe 5 yrs ago the tm was king , not anymore , yes they have a recoil system , but that is their main redeeming feature , many guns can now match them out of the box for less money , bb flight time is an issue at longer ranges with the tm guns and and fps increase is not as simple on tm guns as people will have you believe , especialy the recoil versions . It can be done but internal parts have to be beefed up if you want it to last any reasonable length of time at higher fps outputs .

The tm guns are nice , but there are other options out there for less money .even combat machine m4 guns are hitting 45/50 Mtrs out of the box nowadays ..some manufacturers have looked at tm guns and cloned their designs and in some cases improved on them by I using better plastics etc .

• 3 months later...

Some time has passed since I created this topic...

I started working at my M4, and it turns out that it might work after all, but I think it won't pass a long time before I need to start looking for new replicas again.

I've done some research and so far I like the G&P M4 RAS (6 position) 2012 version. However, the two M4 that I've had in the past are G&P and both of them had that really annoying issue with the magwell and bb feeding.

I'm not sure of how well (or bad) does the 2012 version work, so if someone has something to comment on this (and on the general performance of this model), I'd really appreciate it.

The TM SOPMOD is nice as well, but again, the low fps are a serious issue for me. Also I'm not sure about the possibility of changing the default crane atock for a 6 position stock (which is mandatory since I'm working on a specific loadout/impression).

Cheers.

If the externals are ok just buy a new mechbox and motor for your existing AEG.

As the TM is rear wired and takes a prorietary battery (at least the SOPMOD does) it would need a rewire at the least if you want to put anything but a crane stock on it.

To fix the feeding issues with G&P rifles, put some electrical tape or adhesive backed velcro on the rearward, inside wall of the magazine well. You may have to adjust the tape by adding and subtracting layers until the magazines feed, but aren't held too tightly in place to eject easily.

It's a really easy fix.

The issue with G&P M4/M16 AEG magwells is that hicaps usually work but when it comes to mid caps or real caps they fail to feed.  It is still consistently the same issue across the board in the current batches.  The velcro fix works but is not permanent, particularly in damp climates or in a SHTF situation.

If you are dead set on M4s for skirmishing then G&P M4s are one of the better choices, though VFCs are marginally better aesthetically.  Otherwise there are many better options for skirmishing, but one has to venture out of the M4 arena. 

The issue with G&P M4/M16 AEG magwells is that hicaps usually work but when it comes to mid caps or real caps they fail to feed. It is still consistently the same issue across the board in the current batches. The velcro fix works but is not permanent, particularly in damp climates or in a SHTF situation.

If you are dead set on M4s for skirmishing then G&P M4s are one of the better choices, though VFCs are marginally better aesthetically. Otherwise there are many better options for skirmishing, but one has to venture out of the M4 arena.

Geez! Frankly I fail to understand how is possible to run a company that keeps making the same design mistake over 8 years — and still be one of the market leaders! I was hoping that for a 2012 version they would have acknowledged the feeding issue and done something about it...

Anyway. What I don't like about VFC, on the other hand, is that their AEGs are not licensed, which is also a deal-breaker to me.

Neither is Marui LOL.But they still have the Colt/HK logos :P

If its for skirmish then it shouldn't matter, but if a fancy colt logo makes the difference to your experience then by all means :P

There is the option of classic army but they are not as good as G&P for their detail.

Neither is Marui LOL.But they still have the Colt/HK logos :P

If its for skirmish then it shouldn't matter, but if a fancy colt logo makes the difference to your experience then by all means :P

There is the option of classic army but they are not as good as G&P for their detail.

Obviously it doesn't make a difference in terms of game experience. However, I find completely unnecessary to buy two different replicas in order to have a decent experience in the game and to have an accurate loadout

Doesn't make sense?

Archived