5KU URX III 12.5" Review(PICS)

Just got this in the mail today.

Here's its packaging, a  nondescript, cheap box.  
DSC_7582_zpscd499dcb.jpg

And even worse, a severe amount of under-packaging. 
DSC_7583_zps9f8560fc.jpg

Voila!

DSC_7593_zps73d06c98.jpg

DSC_7592_zps6cdfdced.jpg
DSC_7594_zps2ef6cf55.jpg

First impressions, the anodizing is really a step up over their previous URX II line.  The anodizing is no longer a thin, sparkly black, but like in the pictures, it's a nice and thick flat black.  Definitely not real type 3 hard anodizing like on an AR, but the finish is still better than on most aluminum airsoft products.  Due to the poor packaging, there were a few edges that were worn silver, but they aren't very noticeable.  
It comes with the rail itself, 2 mounting screws, and the barrel nut, which is aluminum.  

Barrel nut:
DSC_7597_zps3b544952.jpg

Also, unlike their URX II, this one actually has the locking mechanism for the bottom rail, and surprisingly, it's made of steel!
DSC_7596_zps2f5e287a.jpg

However, the flip up sight is the same affair as with the URX II, it's very wobbly.  The locking mech has a strong spring, and the front sight post is easily adjusted, but the sight itself wobbles back and forth about 1 cm and laterally about 4mm.  It's best to leave it flipped down.
DSC_7606_zps5a0ef4b2.jpg
DSC_7607_zpsea38b2e1.jpg

The markings themselves are laser engraved, and done decently, except for one part.  Can you spot it?
DSC_7595_zps97c6529d.jpg
(Hint: The 3)

The rail also has an integrated heatshield, which is riveted in.  No markings here, oh well.  I'm pretty sure my previous 5KU URX II had at least an arrow.  At least it doesn't wobble.
DSC_7608_zpsb5731e78.jpg

I also bought 5KU's stainless steel tool:
DSC_7609_zpsf929c863.jpg
DSC_7610_zpseaf4bf09.jpg

Looks pretty crappy(partly due to the flash), but it works and fits the barrel nut well.

DSC_7611_zps4fccb490.jpg

And now for probably the most important part, the threading.  It seems to be Marui, metric threading, as it threads on fine on my Hurricane SR47 and JG uppers, but only threads halfway onto my 1st gen G&P WOC upper.  GBBR/PTW folks should probably go with Dytac. 

The threading after 1 installation:
DSC_7601_zpsbc777181.jpg

As for top rail height, here it is mounted to my Hurricane receiver, almost an exact half mm gap.  On the JG upper, the URX's rail was almost 1mm too low.
DSC_7613_zpsa40331b5.jpg

Overall, it's it's a really nice rail for the price, almost on part with Madbull quality, if not the same.  I'll update if any quirks pop up during installation.  Otherwise, if you have any questions, let me know.

Edited by vilerk
  • 3 weeks later...

Minor update:  Got to skirmish it a week back at Ford Ord in CA.  Rail held up fine after numerous collisions with walls, cover, etc., save for some cosmetic damage.  The barrel nut loosened a tiny bit, causing the barrel to wobble slightly(<1mm diameter), but that's probably my fault for not tightening it hard enough initially.  

This happened when I hand-tightened the nut:
DSC_7618_zps6f3ceedf.jpg  

So lesson here is to go with Dytac, not 5KU for the wrench.

As for the rail itself, the finish held up well, except for places where it was banged against a rocky surface:
DSC_7629_zps8a2885c5.jpg
DSC_7627_zps2ec5c5be.jpg

So I guess the rail is made of some pretty soft aluminum compared to 6061/7075 stuff.  

have you handled the dytac URXIII? any chance you could share your comparison if you have?

Sorry, I have no experience with Dytac products whatsoever.  

Good review!

I have the Dytac wrench. It worked for a couple removal/installs. Now it no longer grabs after some torque and slips past the teeth on the barrel nut.

The Dytac wrench is almost as bad - it's made from crappy low quality steel and bends easily. The only decent Airsoft URX III wrench is the one made by Iron Airsoft.

Good to know about the Dytac wrench.  I completely forgot that IA made a wrench, that probably is the best option.