PTS closing down?

coolurjets

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Find it interesting that besides this one article, there hasn't been any other sources confirming or denying. Nothing on either Magpul or PTS's facebook page or official page. Thumpy did post saying that according to distributors this is happening but hasn't received confirmation from either PTS or Magpul. 

I will be very disappointed if this is true, even if ACM clones exists, the PTS stuff always was noticeably better quality from the products I've seen. 

Not that anyone is really going to care about PTS if they've lost the Magpul line up. The Magpul airsoft pmags and stocks etc have become an integrated part of the hobby, despite a few lemons in an otherwise high quality line up.

On a personal note, grrr, i had just made the decision to move over to the m4 platform.

certainly a strong hit to PTS as it has been said, their income comes mostly from magpul replicas and what is worse, they will be "eating" a lot of their stock and anything which has been pulled from shelves... it could mean bankrupcy.

If we are lucky, most of that stockage will leak through aliexpress and the likes as acm copies, cheaper, but they will sell it off. 

Another repercussion will be that ACM copies wont have a horde of lawyers pursuing them and we may start seen the stuff in regular shops, unfortunatly at higher prices than acm clones are expected, but people will need their magpul fix and will pay for it,

Future looks fun to look from safe distance... =)

What doesnt make sense, seeming these rumours have been flying around for about a week and most claiming to be 'confirmed' from a reliable sourse, is that we have not heard anything official from Magpul or PTS and the PTS Facebook group is still posting new images of the ERG rifle.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.576447922406554.1073741831.176332535751430&type=1

Oh, here we go again.....have we seen this before perhaps? KWA vs Kriss, oh no, no more Vectors, quick everyone buy up remaining stock.....then, nah nothing to worry about, more stock coming in, business as usual, and KWA denying the whole thing as a 'misunderstanding'.

Well, fool me once....I could give a rats backside about PTS products. If I want a Magpul stock so bad I'll buy a real one, same with hand guards, etc. The only possible loss, P-mags, but I never used them anyway.

I know, my use of Magpul PTS products is a personal thing, and doesn't represent the airsoft world, but I'm suggesting not to panic, and certainly don't panic buy! That's probably what they want you to do. Airsoft was doing great before PTS Magpul products and it'll do fine without them as .well

Airsoft was doing great before PTS Magpul products and it'll do fine without them as .well

Yes, Airsoft was doing great before PTS Magpul stuff but then got even better (for quite a lot of us) when it did offer us lightweight, well designed, durable and relatively cheap accessories that were easy on the eye and practical. 

We could replace some of our PTS requirements with RS Magpul as prices are not that disparate these days but certainly in the UK, they're still not that much stock floating around at reasonable prices. 

Let's hope PTS take Troy and Lancer Tactical licenses off Socom Gears/Madbull hands  :D

Yes, Airsoft was doing great before PTS Magpul stuff but then got even better (for quite a lot of us) when it did offer us lightweight, well designed, durable and relatively cheap accessories that were easy on the eye and practical.

With respect, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, some magpul stuff is nice, granted, but I'd find it hard to believe anyone really thought that Magpul PTS had that much of an impact on the hobby.

With respect, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, some magpul stuff is nice, granted, but I'd find it hard to believe anyone really thought that Magpul PTS had that much of an impact on the hobby.

Actually it's not. With Magpul PTS, plenty of other parts manufacturers have opened up to the idea of licensing. Plus the quality is top notch. A pistol grip fits. an ACM pistol grip, you pray it fits.

Do not forget for many of us, getting RS Magpul parts is not easy.

If it is such an exaggeration, why are there so many with Magpul parts on their M4?

Not really sure how you want us to react Eisenhorn... or what your point is, PTS was the only Magpul official licensed company, they were producing quality products, my personal favourite being the next-gen PMAGs, which apart from TM's next-gen mag inserts modded with real steel Pmags, a process that is both expensive and labour intensive, there are no alternatives of. Would it make you feel better if we all said "good riddance PTS you were irrelevant to the market anyway"...?  Evidently they had a place in the market... it's almost like you're being controversial just for the sake of it... if you don't care about PTS products... that's fine, I don't care about many other brands neither... but why does it bother you that other people care? 

Got to agree with the G36 mags, they very nice indeed (both in performance and aesthetics).

Bit of a shame if you ask me. It's always nice to have variety, than being more limited in a hobby, that really is all a out the looks. It is about the looks. Same as, some people have a preference when it comes to hair colour on a man/woman. Some people like aeg/gbb from a certain era and not after. Some people are greedy and like it all. Swings and roundabouts. It's all gravy.

No official word. "Unofficial word" is that yes, this is happening. I believe that this is Magpul's direct response to all the counterfeits, that they’re shutting down ALL licensed Airsoft production (the ERG is excluded for now) so that anything coming into the US can't be argued as licensed product (which happens a LOT, even if the item doesn't have PTS markings many importers "claim" it's a legit item which it generally isn't). The fact that this will affect the international airsoft market is irrelevant to Magpul's interests. The unlicensed clones are affecting Magpul USA's bottom line and brand image and that is the deal breaker in the company's mind. They've simply had enough with the counterfeits. This will especially affect the ability for people to import unlicensed clones into the USA more than ever. Magpul is working closer with US Customs and FBI to make sure the crack down will be in full affect and not only seize but also follow through to the full extent allowed by law importers (be it individuals or sellers/dealers). So, yeah sucks for everyone. How this will affect PTS ... Yes it will sting. But they've known about it for a long time, and already long had contingency plans ready and in progress with the many other brands they work with as well as items that will come from their own design team. This was a very strong possibility for a while now which was why there was a strong move to diversify the PTS brand portfolio over 2 years ago, at which time they also changed their company name from Magpul PTS, to PTS Magpul, and last year to just PTS. And just because most of the products coming out of PTS have been primarily Magpul related, that by no means implies that other non-Magpul products aren't in the pipe (they are).

One thing to be wary of is that people will try to spin it as something more than it is. I have heard just about every variation from the rumor mill, from the most outlandish to some that seemed like logical conclusions but were ultimately based purely on conjecture. PTS and Magpul are still on excellent terms. This is Magpul's wish and that wish is being completely respected and honored. Furthermore, this isn't because of issues with PTS who have done everything in PTS' legal power to fight the counterfeiting situation by going after the HK distribution network. There are simply some thing's beyond PTS' legal reach. That said, PTS will continue to work and assist Magpul in fighting counterfeits. And this also doesn't mean that Magpul are interested in looking at other Airsoft partners. This is Magpul taking a very strong proactive stand on a problematic situation (unlicensed clones) for their company's interests. This will be (not immediately) going into affect on a (undetermined) future date. In the meantime, the ERG is still very much a sanctioned and licensed PTS Magpul Airsoft product and the ever evolving situation will have no affect on the ERG's imminent release. Whether the Magpul and PTS collaboration will recommence again in the future is unclear for now since Magpul's top priority in this regard is addressing the counterfeits, and not producing airsoft product for the consumer.

Excluding the ERG and associated ERG PMAGs, this affects every item that is Magpul licensed. That includes G&P GBB PMAGs and more. A lot of people have argued that it doesn't make sense that AEG replicas should be affected. And while I would concede that that is a perfectly logical point, the situation is for the most part it's very much all or nothing for Magpul. That said, KWA / Yih Kai are still working hard with PTS to get the product out in a timely manner and these are the last of the licensed Magpul items allowed to be produced.

Not really sure how you want us to react Eisenhorn... or what your point is, PTS was the only Magpul official licensed company, they were producing quality products, my personal favourite being the next-gen PMAGs, which apart from TM's next-gen mag inserts modded with real steel Pmags, a process that is both expensive and labour intensive, there are no alternatives of. Would it make you feel better if we all said "good riddance PTS you were irrelevant to the market anyway"...?  Evidently they had a place in the market... it's almost like you're being controversial just for the sake of it... if you don't care about PTS products... that's fine, I don't care about many other brands neither... but why does it bother you that other people care?

Your argument is circular. I've simply published my opinion on the subject, as many others have (one could argue, that being the point of an internet forum). My stance is only controversial in your eyes because it runs counter to your opinion, would it be therefore controversial if we agreed?

My point, as you haven't grasped it, is that we have seen this 'scare mongering' before in airsoft, and I cited the recent events surrounding KWA vs Kriss. In that case, same as this, there was 'definitive evidence' that it was game over, people went out panic buying, and after the feeding frenzy KWA calmly announce it was all a nothing. Bear in mind, the evidence was even more compelling in the KWA case than this PTS situation, as you actually had a statement from one of the party's involved (Kriss), in the PTS case neither PTS or Magpul have made any statements!!!

That aside, the parallels between the KWA events and this PTS 'situation' are striking, and the cynic in me wonders if this isn't a stunt to boost sales.

Let's look at the evidence. There has been no official word from PTS over this alleged termination of terms with Magpul, and unless those guys are living on the moon how could they not be aware of the rumours. Why would a company keep quiet about such a significant situation? Either to confirm or deny?

This is, I say again, EXACTLY what KWA did, they also said nothing? Why? Because if they say nothing it leaves the doors wide open to play these events as they wish. If there is a rush on suppliers, with people panic buying, then PTS will loose no face at all when they come out in a few months from now and say, "Hey guys, its all been a misunderstanding.... You really shouldn't listen to rumours.....he he he"

So, what am I asking you and others to do? I'm saying do nothing. Don't go out panic buying every piece of PTS product you can. I'm saying ignore these third party 'I got it from a solid source' bull statements.

The only statement you should care about is the official statement from PTS (if it comes), and then do what you have to do.....

I hope that's clearer.

I mean its not like you cant buy a PTS clone even though they look and feel like a chocolate bar.. They dont fit your rail correctly and they have the wrong screw..

I think people need to sit on it for a while and wait until some news is released. Either way there are so many pts stock out there I dont think the world could even run out completly.

Archived