Plate carriers

ahuynh

Just bout every reputable brand will have a plate carrier that will hold up to your needs. I'd say that it is up to youto decide what design features you like/dislike of different brands plate carriers and go from there.

Eagle Plate carrier (EPC) or thei RRV was probably my fravorite and bith highly bomb proof. I used these for years.

I've had a couple of HSGI Weesatches which were fantastic bits of kit. Presuming you run STANAG mags of course.

Beyond that, just look for what seems to suit you best, there's good replica on the market like Flyye or Pantac. TMC is good also despite what certain groups of people say.

What's your budget?

That's a BA though, not a plate carrier.

I'll agree it's comfortable, but that point is entirely moot.

That's something we'll have to agree to disagree on Pkekyo. I'm not sure how you can consider it to be a BA when it offers no protection in itself, ballistic or otherwise without installing supplemental plates or soft armor. I would assume that BA by virtue of definition would offer some protection as standard.

I gather that your definition of a plate carrier necessitates the inclusion of pouches and accessories directly to the carrier? There are many manufacturers (Firstspear, PIG, LBT) who use the "Plate carrier" descriptor to include "CVC" equivlants, i.e. "slick" plate carriers with no pouches.

In any case, neither of us are properly addressing the OP's query by expending time on pedantics :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahuynh, the plate carrier you linked to will be of questionable build quality at best (especially considering that they tried to replicate the release system at that price, corners will have been cut somewhere).

Shardik's suggestion of the TMC 6094 replica, would be a reasonable choice. Feedback so far shows it to be of decent quality for its price, and a good replica of the LBT equivalent.

There are a number of retailers that sell them ( Ehobby Asia, EB Airsoft, CRW Airsoft ), and

up on youtube that give you a better idea of fit and carrying capacity.

Commonly, a plate carrier is considered as a piece of gear that offers protection only as the size of standard ballistic plates, or swimmers plates or the like. Armor carriers are usually considered to be those best designs that will accept standard plates as well as soft Kevlar in the BALCS cut or similar, something that covers much more that just the back of the ceramic plate. Though, plate carriers are usually able to carry soft Kevlar on the sides of the torso, as well as side plates. Basically, a plate carrier covers less surface area of the torso than an armor carrier does, with the advantage of more maneuverability.

Excluding pouches and the selection of needed gear, this topic is about plate carriers as they stand alone, as far as we are concerenred based on the original posters posts of what he/she specifies that he/she wants.

Now, the average plate carrier has less MOLLE real estate than the average armor carrier, so that depends on what you want to carry into the field, but you can always add a belt to carry other equipment and to spread out the weight.

OP's sizing (height/weight)?  Most armour & plate carriers are designed for big built military guys, I've long lost count of the number of younger/smaller players I see every skirmish with LBE that's been cinched all the way down as small as it'll go but is still loose and flapping around when they run.

My size small Strandhogg only just about goes down tight enough to fit me without putting in a load of fake plates.  I'd never buy a 6094A because it simply wouldn't adjust to me correctly, while I am fairly thin I'm far from anorexic.

I've managed to get m 6094A to sit tightly round me but have had to shorten the cummerbund.  It's really simple to do, remove the cummerbund, undo the laces that hold it together at the back and reattach them to some of the molle a little further along. 

Using that method I've got it to fit me extremely comfortably with very little movement even when jumping, I'm 5'11" and about 75KG, so a long way from the build that plate carriers are usually designed for!

• 4 weeks later...

Since you're stateside, check out the 'Banshee' from Shellback Tactical. Airosft GI I think sells them for approx $130.

Also check out the 'Cyclone' from Condor, which is lighter than the Banshee, but practically the same rig.

My plate carrier purchase will be the Warrior DCS in OD, once it's released soon. Shame they don't come in black.

what is the "best" low profile plate carrier? no cummberbund or anything just the surface area of the plate.

Is there anything specific you're looking for/how much a concern is price? The newest fancy super-lightweight etc etc one is the BFG Plateminus, if you want integral AR mag pouches there's the Tyr GPC; there's also the rather less expensive Shellback/TAG Banshee (the cummerbunds are removable; there's more discussion on this one elsewhere in this forum, I think).

Honestly, though, if you're not looking for anything super fancy, I'd say the Flyye FAPC mentioned above is a very strong option. It's cheap, durable the old-school way, with 1000D everywhere, has better shoulder straps than the Banshee without modification, and the BFG/Tyr/TAG ones don't fundamentally do anything it doesn't.

Edit: There's also the Ferro FCPC (no link as their site's doing something strange), which can be ordered without a cummerbund. I've heard very good things about it, and it'd be my personal choice for something of the sort if I had the money/they were ever in stock. Also, as an afterthought, all of these are pretty small (6 MOLLE across), which I'm not sure if you're looking for or not.

Archived