TM/Army Recoil Shock DMR - Fixed stock

Hopewell

As per a recent topic I created, I am looking to create a DMR style rifle loosely based on the USMC SAM-R, on the TM recoil platform!  

SAM-Rifle.jpg

The internals I am happy with, as I am probably going to buy/gut an Army R43..  Sadly, I am awaiting the sale of my TM M14 before I can finance the base AEG!  I love my TM CQB-r, and as a result, I think that a DMR on these platform would ROCK, even at UK limits.

The problem that I have, is that I want a fixed stock, yet there are no 'off the shelf' products and generally, parts are bespoke to the TM 'next gen' AEGs.

This could be a simple lapse in my google-fu, but does anyone know of a guide online in how to do this?  All I can find is a little info on the M16A3 that RichardY made, but nothing other than that.  It seems that he heavily modified a Guarder AEG stock, but others have suggested GBB stocks.

The only way that I can 'think' to do it, is dremel the stock to fit over the buffer tube, and modify the end cap of the buffer tube to take the bolt that usually fixes into the upper receiver on a standard AEG...  Beyond this, until I start buying parts, I am going on a whim here!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Unusually, I think this is a topic I might actually be able to help with. I don't have an original TM buffer tube to hand, but I do have the Airsoft Research Syndicate (ARS) CNC-milled replacement in front of me. The outer diameter of that buffer tube is, according to my digital callipers, approximately 1.150". That corresponds to the 1.146" specification for milspec buffer tubes on the real-steel AR-15, so RS-sized stocks should fit just fine (once you've modified the buffer tube as detailed below).

It seems that [RichardY] heavily modified a Guarder AEG stock, but others have suggested GBB stocks.

In airsoft, stocks sized for the RS-milspec buffer tube are commonly termed GBBR stocks; you want a GBBR stock.

The only way that I can 'think' to do it, is dremel the stock to fit over the buffer tube, and modify the end cap of the buffer tube to take the bolt that usually fixes into the upper receiver on a standard AEG...  Beyond this, until I start buying parts, I am going on a whim here!

I would definitely not do that. What you want to do instead is modify the buffer tube, not the stock. The Marui buffer tube sucks anyway (as, I expect, will the ARMY clones' buffer tubes) so you might as well modify those rather than cutting up a stock and then not having it fit right. Here's what you need to do:

1. Strip the buffer tube down to the single tube - remove the wires, remove the connectors, remove the lower bit with holes in that the collapsible stock's pin fits in - remove everything.
  2. For the following steps, you will need access to a lathe. If you don't have access to one yourself, PM me for the names of some members on here who do have access to one and will (for a small fee) perform the following steps for you.
  3. Mill or file off the protrusions on the bottom of the buffer tube. You want the bottom as close to 'round' as possible to stop it throwing the lathe off.
  4. Place the buffer tube in a lathe and turn its external diameter to as close to 1.146" as you can. That probably won't involve removing very much material, if any, but that's OK. The buffer tube should now be round and fit into the stock perfectly.
  5. Spray paint the buffer tube black to protect it against any corrosion.

The next thing the buffer tube will need is a threaded endcap. I don't have the ARMY or original TM one in front of me, but I'm guessing that they aren't threaded. You could try to drill and tap your existing ARMY one, but frankly it's made of a horrible pot metal and it's too thin. Instead, I suggest that you buy the ARS billet-CNC'd aluminium alloy replacement, which is conveniently already threaded, and made of much better materials, which will preserve the buffer tube. While you're at it you should also invest in their billet-CNC'd 4150 carbon steel castle nut which will preserve the all-important threading on the receiver end of the buffer tube.

Then, you just screw the buffer tube cap into the buffer tube, fit it to the receiver as normal, tighten the castle nut, and voila - you can install any fixed stock you like.

Archived