Real sword SVD

ltolstoy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Worth the money for the build and accuracy not worth the money for skirmish.

Weird comment ??

If the build and accuracy are good , why do you say its no good for skirmishing with . I own one and it dominates on the skirmish field , no other sniper / dmr. Even comes close to the svd in performance terms . Out of the box with no mods it outranges everything else , and real steel build quality means it won't break easily whilst skirmishing with it .

I guess my statements applies only to High FPS countries.

Its a fantastic build, accuracy is amazing as is the range.  In my country its only useful if the snipers are over 500fps in which case the motor doesn't have the torque and battery space is low.  The RS piston actually breaks after 100 rounds over 550fps and many of the snipers here consider the RS piston a disposable item.

While yes you can change the motor you can't change the piston (not that I know of).  Then its limited by battery.

Hence not really for "skirmishes" here.  Certainly needs upkeep.

Playing with the RS, I can actually work on groupings in the yard at 40m+ without live ammo and it its a fantastic backyard shooter.   Skirmish wise, I dislike the SVD offset scope and the awkward balance it has and I consider it not as useable as something like an ARES SLR bigger battery space, better balance, with similar barrel length, which will give it the same flat level trajectory out to the same ranges, but only slightly less accurate.  I use open sights on the SVD anyways, but the SLR can take top cover optic rail which doesn't move and can be remounted with no zero shift.

The piston was designed in as the gearbox weak link on this gun . It is a disposable part . At 9quid a pop it is a lot cheaper than replacing gears or gearbox should something go south .

The only mods my svd has is a neo motor. And MOSFET to protect the trigger contacts , as rs still use old tech motors in their guns . Reliable but better motors are available nowadays due to tech advances . Mine runs at 490 fps and I usually get a couple of hundred shots off before I have to replace the piston . Spamming the trigger is the usual cause of failed pistons on these guns or a battery that is low on power . Or not powerfull enough in the first place ,

With the cheap cost of real swords spares compared to other brands , I find it cheaper to run than my other dmr guns .

Have found no need to upgrade anything due to the quality of rs out of the box internals . Par the motor if running high fps ..

I guess its each to their own. 

I have had G3s, ARES SLR and CA SA58s all working at near 500fps and I don't need to replace pistons at all (so long as AOE is sorted OOTB).   

I did hear that it is possible to fit steel toothed L85/SR25 pistons on the SVD.  Perhaps that would help?

Has been already covered on a thread a couple of years back . Gears got munched and gearbox cracked .after the piston failed if I remember correcty The early gen 1 guns came with an entire gearset when new .in the gen 2 they have a unlock tool to enable full auto to free any lock ups . The aoe on the rs guns is as perfect as it gets ootb . My 97 / 56 guns are the same . All guns are shimmed perfectly by rs . And inspected / certificated . I have 4 of their guns all the aoe have been perfect from day one .. An occasional

9 quid is no big deal to me For a gun that performes the way that the svd does . As long as the battery is strong / well charged it does not happen very often . Have had at least a thousand bbs through mine since the last piston change .

I Wish they would get their finger out and release the m4/ 16 range and the type 97 sniper / support guns in my lifetime though .

Then perhaps its the piston material...oh who knows ;P

Perhaps the CYMA clone SVD piston is better?

Yep, waiting on the Type 88 sniper and LMG that would be cool. 

(Only down side is I that from the videos online of PLA exercises, have never seen the PLA use MGs as a base of fire even at a platoon level, so I don't really know how popular that would be, since no one really uses support weapons LOL).

The Cyma clone svd is not even in the same league as the rs svd for internals . Build quality etc . Accuracy / range / groupings all suffer due to the cheaper materials used for its construction . Shame really as I wAited for these to hit the market with great anticipation . Needs a lot of work to bring it up to anywhere near the rs levels

It may be a clone , but most pArts are not interchangeable with the rs svd

Oh ok. Bummer :P

CYMA w/Pot metal barrels are always not good.  In saying that the CYMA RPKs got some beefy HBAR going on there, though don't know the quality of their bipod.

Oh well, no choice but to stick with the RS pistons unless there are suitable aftermarket replacements.

I wonder how the WE compares?  Never tried.

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing that is worth upgrading on any of the rs guns would be the motor. . These guns were designed before neo motors hit the Airsoft market . Would only consider doing so if my motors actualy failed , which with rs parts qc will be a long , long time in the future

• 1 month later...

Why do you put a fuse in an electrical circuit appliance ?? Because it is the weakest component and the cheapest part to replace. .

Something has to fail in any electrical / mechanical build at some stage due to wear and tear , if the piston on an rs svd was as strong as every other component it would be gears or a casing you would end up replacing should a jam or failure occur . Which though cheap compared to other brands is still more expensive and harder to replace than a 9 pound poly carb piston that is easily sourced .

I have it and i love it. Externally no airsoft replica can match the quality of real sword. Period.

Replaced the motor with the Element hi-torque, installed the mosfet, put in new spring and it shots ~540fps now. I shot around 5000 rounds through it without failure or gearbox lock. Never had a battery problem (used firefox 11.1V 20c 1200mah, turnigy nano-tech 11.1V 1200mah 25-50C).

Even ordered some spare gearbox parts but they are still unused.

Another thing to mention customer service is top-notch.

But I agree piston should be the weakest part of any AEG, because they are easy to replace and are cheap. But never heard you need to replace it so often.

The only remark on playing with SVD compared to other DMR's is that it is a bit heavy (but still balanced). Holding it steady to aim someone and wait for that shot for some minutes requires some arms strength :)

The svd locks up more if the battery is running low / usually combined with spamming the trigger , which with the svd is hard not to do .

With lipo power of decent c rating lockups are not very common so the piston lasts a lot longer , especialy if running higher rated springs .

The svd uses an overbore size piston , cylinder unique to the rs gearbox . I also have a systema overbore kit in my tm aug . The bo guns also use overbore / bore up pistons for their guns . To maximise the amount of air capacity they can push .

Google up overbore kits and you will see they are used on mainly guns with exeptionaly long barrels for the aforementioned purpose .

The rs svd and aug h bar use two of the longest barrels available in Airsoft . The bo uses the overbore kit as a way to shift more capacity and retain a faster rate of fire . Ie weaker spring / larger bore = more Rof .wheras to fit a smaller piston means a stronger spring would need to be in place thus reducing its Rof ..

Archived