Girl arrested in Camden for carrying loaded BB gun

Baddbaz

And unfortunately running from the police can get you killed. Jean Charles de Menezes for example. Least she wasn't engaged by an armed unit.

Just to set the record straight there, the whole thing about JCDM "running from the police" has been shown to be nonsense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1496382/Shot-Brazilian-did-not-jump-barrier-and-run.html

Having said that, I don't really buy the whole "some people just run away from the police instinctively" thing either.

Sure, if you live in Bulgaria or Nigeria or Bolivia, you might grow up feeling like fleeing from the cops is a smart thing to do (and you might well be right) but, really, are the police so reviled in the UK that innocent people might feel justified in fleeing?

Nah.

The only reason the vast majority of people run away from the police is either a) when they've got a good reason to or B) when they think it'll be fun to be chased by a cop and this case would seem to bear that out.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to set the record straight there, the whole thing about JCDM "running from the police" has been shown to be nonsense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1496382/Shot-Brazilian-did-not-jump-barrier-and-run.html

Having said that, I don't really buy the whole "some people just run away from the police instinctively" thing either.

Sure, if you live in Bulgaria or Nigeria or Bolivia, you might grow up feeling like fleeing from the cops is a smart thing to do (and you might well be right) but, really, are the police so reviled in the UK that innocent people might feel justified in fleeing?

Nah.

The only reason the vast majority of people run away from the police is either a) when they've got a good reason to or B) when they think it'll be fun to be chased by a cop and this case would seem to bear that out.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

However my point does still stand, just not the example.

It was not a case of it being fun to be chased by the police . This girl was stopped for under age drinking and knew she had a gun / replica gun in her possession in a public place . . And that it carried legal consequences . That is why she ran away . Luckily the police identified that she was just a stupid girl with a replica gun ( female officer was the one who saw the weopon ) and acted accordingly , the suspect is lucky that this was the assessment that the police made of the situation . Things could have turned much darker if the assessment from the police was that of a genuine armed threat .

The mum should have commended the police for their actions and judgment . Not complained about a minor being held in a cell for possibly longer than usual .

Why defend your kid when they are obviously in the wrong . She should be chastising her kid if she was any sort of half decent parent ..

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

However my point does still stand, just not the example.

Oh, I agree. I only mentioned it cos the whole "JCDM vaulted the barrier" thing is a myth that seems to have gained a lot of momentum.

It's actually kind of sad that the cops involved felt compelled to embellish the truth to justify their actions.

I mean, the actual cops on the ground should have been able to simply say "We had our target, we had information that he intended to do bad things and we had instructions to stop him using deadly force" and people should accept that but, of course, with the benefit of hindsight, it's very easy to be critical and judgemental.

Course, on the other hand, the cops responsible for organising and supervising the whole fiasco should probably have been convicted of manslaughter but, hey-ho.

But yeah, it's all very well saying that it was "only a teenager" and "only a toy gun" but people (especially people who plan on frivolously brandishing toy guns) need to understand that the cops who deal with this stuff will have no way of knowing what the level of threat is and they're likely to respond to the worst-case-scenario.

In this case, the girl was actually bloody lucky that the gun was only (IIRC) found when they finally caught her rather than spotted before she ran off or it could have been much more serious.

Why defend your kid when they are obviously in the wrong . She should be chastising her kid if she was any sort of half decent parent ..

Because unfortunately she's clearly a part if the Jeremy Kyle generation who think the world owes them a favour and can't take responsibility for their own actions

Archived