Shellback Tactical Banshee Modification

Roecar

The Shellback Tactical Banshee is a popular piece of kit used by airsofters, citizen shooters, police, and some Special Forces. One of the biggest complaints of the vest is the poor weld between rifle stock and shoulder strap. When shouldering a rifle, the Banshee’s large shoulder buckles slide the rifle stock off of the shoulder and into the bicep. To create a better shoulder weld for rifles, the shoulder straps on the Banshee need to be as low profile as possible, also it’s helpful when using the Shellback Tactical padded shoulder pads with this mod. The mod and the improved shoulder pads create a comfortable and lower-profile position for a rifle stock to sit solidly. The pictures below will show the hardware I modded while experimenting and the off-the-shelf parts I ended up using on my vest.

The hardware I used to experiment with the shoulder mod is ITW Nexus and SKD PIG.
IMG_0870_zps06c15595.jpg

Early on I used standard ITW Nexus hardware found in their various buckle replacement kits. I took ladder locks and made cuts similar to the cut outs on existing tri-glide hardware. The hard part of this mod is cutting off the original buckles, the disclaimer is when they’re gone, they’re gone.

The ITW hardware was a proof of concept that proved that the Banshee could get low-pro shoulder straps. Shouldering my rifle with this mod was far more comfortable than using the factory buckle design.
IMG_0872_zps6acf2e8e.jpg

The first step is cutting off the female buckle off. The modded tri-glide serves as a cinch for the Banshee webbing strap. The ladder lock was intended to secure the webbing strap so slipping isn’t a problem and the Banshee can still have adjustable shoulder straps.
IMG_0878_zpsccdee126.jpg

Early field tests proved that shouldering a rifle was more comfortable and stable with the new mod. However, since I was using custom cut parts, the vest wasn’t as secured as factory buckles. Honestly I’d have more piece of mind if parts we’re readily available and “field” ready. Doing extensive research, SKD’s PIG line offered a good source of inspiration and source of “field” ready hardware.

IMG_0871_zpsd45eadfa.jpg

IMG_0869_zpsd3c85af3.jpg

IMG_0873_zps03282536.jpg

I tried each type of hardware beginning with the ITW G-hooks, then the SKD PIG buckle strap and G-hook, and finally the SKD PIG D-ring cinch and G-hook.
IMG_0879_zps8b9432ca.jpg

Before:
IMG_0876_zps67825cc1.jpg

After:
IMG_0877_zps29425c42.jpg

The SKD PIG D-ring cinch with G-hook worked the best. Since the G-hook was stamped steel, it is virtually unnoticeable and indestructible. The double D-ring cinch on the SKD PIG strap allowed for maximum adjustability of the Banshee straps. Adding some 100mph tape to tie down the excess webbing adds more security.
photo14_zps31653f30.jpg

photo15_zps5ca46bb7.jpg

I will periodically add to this thread with other easy mods to further improve the Banshee. Feel free to add some of your own mods to, any input only serves to make better kit for Banshee users everywhere.

If you haven't already, you should e-mail this to Shellback or put it on their facebook page (assuming they have one).  Companies aren't adverse to useful, well researched feedback like this.

Never know, they might just incorporate it in to the design from the factory and everyone else will have a much-improved, cost effective plate carrier.

Archived