Tokyo Marui M870 Tactical Gas Tri-shot Shotgun- picture, text and video review

Afternoon guys.

This morning I was very lucky to receive my brand spanking new Tokyo Marui Remington M870 Tactical, from the good folks over at Redwolf UK.

This is a text/ video review for now, with a video and preliminary firing test uploading tonight.

First impressions.

The box is very nice and well presented, with pictures of the shotgun on the front with features in English and Japanese, with a nice glossy finish.

Inside, you're immediately struck by the shotgun- securely held in place with straps.

The Shotgun comes with one removable gas tank and one 30-round shell, both packaged separately to the gun inside the box.

The shotgun itself.

DSCF4626_zpsf925ff6e.jpg

DSCF4630_zpsc8c14790.jpg

The shotgun feels great. It's got a metal body, metal rail and sights, trigger and trigger housing, metal charging arms on the pump, and metal shell tube and barrel. The rest seems to be high quality ABS-type plastic.

The pump is light to rack, and sounds GREAT.

DSCF4632_zps83eee415.jpg

Trademarks are typical marui- ie, they've got the Tokyo Marui name and logo on it.

DSCF4629_zps2f6e2e29.jpg

DSCF4627_zps5cd1f9f6.jpg

DSCF4628_zps1d6e0fe9.jpg

The gas tank is a bit awkward to access- the rubberised stock pad seems to just 'pull off', rather than any specific knack. When you want to change the tank, you just press a catch inside once you take off the pad, and it releases it fine.

DSCF4634_zpsbed52db5.jpg

DSCF4635_zps9e88da2e.jpg

Gassing the tank may take a while- Marui claimed you can fire '100 shots' with it, which I'm not 100% sure of so far, but I possibly didn't fill it up enough.

The cartridge is well built, holds 30 rounds snugly, and is semi translucent so you can see the outline of the bbs, which is cool.

The shell door, always a weak point of the original Marui M3 shotties, seems to be much more secure here. It's not metal, but it feels a lot more solid.

DSCF4633_zpsd22c3de2.jpg

How does it shoot?

Firing is simple- you rack the pump, select whether you want to fire 3, or 6 shot, and blast away.

3 shot is great. There's some spread, but it's reliable, powerful, and range is decent out the box on green gas.

6 shot is EVIL. The bbs go in a similar spread to the 3 shot, with not much noticable drop in power- it fires 2 from each tri-barrel, so you're getting hit with 2 rounds in 3 places with each pull of the trigger.

You can also slam-fire the shotgun; hold the trigger down, and rack the pump. This is going to be brutal in CQB, especially on 6-shot. I can empty an entire 30-round shell in under 3 seconds.

Initial conclusions.

Initial conclusions are that this shotgun is a BEAST. It feels solid, shoots well, seems powerful and takes green gas fine. It feels great fun to fire, and I think it's the shotgun system we shotgun fans were waiting for.

DSCF4631_zps6f06795b.jpg

I'll be putting it through its paces this weekend at Operation Orchid Dawn at Tier 1 military simulation, and it should get a thorough workout in that FIBUAR environment at Stanta, so I'll update further after its first big outing.

DSCF4636_zps084572ff.jpg

Massive thanks to Gaz and Sam at Redwolf UK for getting to me so quick, and for sorting me the two spare gas tanks.

Video version of this review should be up later tonight. If you're on facebook, please like my page, Maple Leaf Tactical.

https://www.facebook.com/mapleleaftactical?fref=ts

My youtube channel is here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/writerdave87

Cheers

Dave

DSCF4639_zps2d375904.jpg

Edited by spetsnazdave87
  • Like 9
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afternoon guys.   This morning I was very lucky to receive my brand spanking new Tokyo Marui Remington M870 Tactical, from the good folks over at Redwolf UK.   This is a text/ video review for now

Chopped the barrel and added an ATI heat shield- quite happy with the result!          

TM issues a product recall?   In other news, pigs spotted flying over Hampshire, Peter Mandelson is a force for good, David Cameron gets on his bike, Nick Clegg tells the truth and the Ministry of D

Posted Images

Thanks for the review!

If you take out the stock, could you photograph the attachment of the stock on the body and also the gas connection? I really want to know if one of those M4 stock&grip adapter is realistic for this gun, but one of the nice ones, with straight buffer tube and a top rail. This would make an Ironridge or Magpul Dr. Drake 870 very siemple to build.

cheers!

I think the pad comes off by pinching the sides.

edit:

Also, make sure to purge the contents of the tank first if you're to use/test propane/green gas on it. It should come with 134a from the factory and mixing the gasses will give you weird results to say the least.

Edited by renegadecow

Easier to resist when many stores are out of stock with this one... :D

Tempted to get this, but waiting if they come up with pistol-gripped folder later...

Yeah pretty much my thought too. Already blown up my budget for the next few months, maybe by the time places start getting more stock in I'll have scraped enough cash back together to consider getting it.

Same thoughts on waiting for variants or mod kits too, the internals of this thing really do seem like "the shotgun I've always wanted" but seeing how things go with the externals will be interesting.

Initial impressions of takedown-  *fruitcage* *suitcase* wank *badger*s *Ubar* ... TM really didn't want this taken apart!

G&P torch grips do NOT work.  If those are real spec (As I think they are), then real pumps won't work- they're far too thick to go around the shell tube on the Marui. The G&P is about 5mm+ too thick at the sides.

• Like 1

Initial impressions of takedown-  *fruitcage* *suitcase* wank *badger*s *Ubar* ... TM really didn't want this taken apart!

G&P torch grips do NOT work.  If those are real spec (As I think they are), then real pumps won't work- they're far too thick to go around the shell tube on the Marui. The G&P is about 5mm+ too thick at the sides.

Man are you right. Tokyo Model has been trying to figure out how to take mine apart so they can ship it to me but they're worried about damaging it. They've removed the stock, trigger assembly, and receiver, but the outer barrel doesn't want to come off and there are no visible external screws apparently.  Bummer, but they're working their butts off to get it figured out. One thing they definitely confirmed is that Marui don't want no one to take it apart, or at least without a lot of effort. Apparently even the pump handle and pump arms can't come off without removing the outer barrel. Someone with the shotty in their hands please confirm/disprove this for me. Need any intel to help get this in my hands.

FYI, without saying too much, Korea customs will not allow importing of assembled guns sadly.