Tokyo Marui M870 Tactical Gas Tri-shot Shotgun- picture, text and video review

The new Marui shells are now avaible at Echigoya:

GREEN

WHITE

<3

Grabbed their last 5 sets of the white shells...looks like they're selling the shells in pairs instead of by threes. Would have been nice to have a set of three shells per pack instead of two. Oh well. I'll have to make ado for now. 10 more shells and I think I'll be fine. I may have to shoot in three shot mode for now.

-------------

30 minutes later....a tracking number was provided by echigoya.

No response about the inquiry I sent out about the M870 I picked up from them not shooting the 6rds that it should. As with a few members here...my unit shoots 5 rounds on the 6rd burst setting.

So....I responded to their e-mail update with another inquiry about the faulty shot mode.

Edited by sacairsoftsn00py
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afternoon guys.   This morning I was very lucky to receive my brand spanking new Tokyo Marui Remington M870 Tactical, from the good folks over at Redwolf UK.   This is a text/ video review for now

Chopped the barrel and added an ATI heat shield- quite happy with the result!          

TM issues a product recall?   In other news, pigs spotted flying over Hampshire, Peter Mandelson is a force for good, David Cameron gets on his bike, Nick Clegg tells the truth and the Ministry of D

Posted Images

They work with other makes of shells , not just marui ones .. So packs of 3 are available if you don't use marui ones .

I am waiting for the shiny new thing rush to die down and it to find its levelled out price . Also gives me a chance to observe the early adopters ( guinea pigs ) faults and fails . Before commiting to a purchase .

Edited by Baddbaz
  • Like 1

Heard back from echigoya. Apparently, ill need to ship my hop unit back...they'll send me a new one in return. Gotta pay for shipping of course...

I dont see how ut could be a hop issue though...maybe an updated piece allows for quicker feeding of bbs to be chambered?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

For those wondering about performance and looking for a detailed video/description , here is probably the best video around atm.

And Maruis Claim of over 100 shots with a single charge of gas is certainly true , Khanseb manages around 114 on 3 shot mode!

Edited by northernairsofter
  • Like 1

Heard back from echigoya. Apparently, ill need to ship my hop unit back...they'll send me a new one in return. Gotta pay for shipping of course...

I dont see how ut could be a hop issue though...maybe an updated piece allows for quicker feeding of bbs to be chambered?

Well I read on the airsoftmechanics forum that the loose hop rubber causes a pinch and the gun loads only 1 bb in the chamber even if it's set on 2. Tough apperantely it can be fixed by bonding the rubber onto the inner barrel.

Not every shop carries Marui items. Sometimes you have to buy it online....specially if the item is newly released. Generally, Marui stuff is problem free out of the box...given that you use it as intended.

Customer service....why I shop Marui stuff with Echigoya.

Still on the fence about whether or not I should get the part to "fix" the 870 knowing that I have to ship the stock part back. Ill ask if I could just purchase the part and have it shipped.

I may also just purchase another marui m870 when the next batch gets released.

More than likely. .I'll just do the latter.

I got my M870 on Friday, it's safe to say that this thing is "The Shiznit!". Seriously though, I love it to bits, worth every penny of the 300-odd quid it cost!

Things I've found; The release valves on the gas-magazines are a little odd, if you frequently release the gas-magazines while they're fully gassed it can cause the o-ring in the release valve to jam up against the side of the valve, eventually causing it to jam "open". It's a simple fix though, just remove the valve from the casing and then open it (the brass base unscrews from the valve body). Pop the o-ring back in place in its groove and give it a nice little lube with silicone grease.

I've also found that the Gas magazines start the characteristic "I'm full" venting when they are nowhere near full, so I'd very very strongly recommend installing little o-rings in the fill-valves (nick them from lighters). When filling the mags, hold your ear against your gas-can, you should hear the squirting of the gas as it transfers from the can to the magazine, just stop filling when the squirting stops. This can take up to 30 seconds, the gas-magazines hold a lot of gas.

Lastly, the rattling of the spring and plunger in the shell tube for storing extra shells is extremely irritating, thankfully, a little rolled up piece of paper stops the rattling with ease.

I think I'm still going to hold on and see what variants come out and if any action is taken to fix some of the small issues, besides I should really get a new backup AEG first...

...but all these videos and pieces of information are great though sounds like overall it's a pretty awesome piece of kit.

Seb noted that using the shotty on 5 shot mode increases gas consumption significantly. He's verified that the m870 can shoot over 100 shots either with a 144 or 134a gas. Shooting in the 6 shot mode decreases it to about 60ish. This is with continuous shooting however. It may be possible to get better numbers that what he has been able to show...

Got an email from wgc, my package was shipped then recalled due to the defect. Was fully refunded but dammit I want my shotty

Well thats a good and a bad thing! My mates got one so im going to use that bit like said before I may wait to see what other models may come out or a price drop cause I think £300 is way too steep.

Because of the fatass shells TM uses, I suspect the real steel Mesa Tactical aluminium shell holders won't work with this gun, and I don't want to pay £110 to find out.

A real 12 gauge is around 18.5mm, where as the TM shells are 21mm, as my Fobus shell carrier couldn't hold these, I figured the Mesa couldn't neither.

So... I decided to make my own, for authenticity, I will eventually have this in aluminium, but to ensure everything fits and look right, I've done my first iteration and tested it with 3D printing. That being said, I'll reduced some of the details the Mesa one has due to limited information, but I'm happy enough with what I've currently got. 

Here's the result:

20130903-231506.jpg

20130903-231325.jpg

20130903-231231.jpg

Of course the pins will have to be special with new hex screw holes etc, but those shouldn't be a problem :) Will upload the final images when I receive the parts once they are machined, 3-4 weeks is probably what I'm looking at if I'm lucky. 

• Like 6

Because of the fatass shells TM uses, I suspect the real steel Mesa Tactical aluminium shell holders won't work with this gun, and I don't want to pay £110 to find out.

A real 12 gauge is around 18.5mm, where as the TM shells are 21mm, as my Fobus shell carrier couldn't hold these, I figured the Mesa couldn't neither.

So... I decided to make my own, for authenticity, I will eventually have this in aluminium, but to ensure everything fits and look right, I've done my first iteration and tested it with 3D printing. That being said, I'll reduced some of the details the Mesa one has due to limited information, but I'm happy enough with what I've currently got. 

Here's the result:

20130903-231506.jpg

20130903-231325.jpg

20130903-231231.jpg

Of course the pins will have to be special with new hex screw holes etc, but those shouldn't be a problem :) Will upload the final images when I receive the parts once they are machined, 3-4 weeks is probably what I'm looking at if I'm lucky. 

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

That was huge.. lol

Looks incredible! Are you set on the aluminium or dont you think the current plastic 3D print you have will hold up?

Thanks! I'm quite sure the 3D print will hold up fine, especially if I crank up the density, this test print was at 10%, so it was mainly air, if I were to make one for use, I'd make sure it's 100%, but I'll go with aluminium just because the finish will be much nicer, and closer to the real steel item I'm trying to replicate. Functionally it shouldn't make any difference, these plastic are pretty damn strong at higher density. 

My next step is actually to use the transparent plastic stuff I got, and print the plastic part of the shot shell, but adding texture to the outside, because these Marui shells are whack, they just have a badly printed sticker on the outside, if space allows (which I'm quite sure it won't, but worth trying), I'll see if I can fit a piece of paper inside with a rolled up picture of buckshots. I'm relatively confident I can print the top part of a working shell, but not sure about adding an insert... will see! 

Edited by blobface