Tokyo Marui M870 Tactical Gas Tri-shot Shotgun- picture, text and video review

I noticed it was harder to get it out when using propane. Interesting.

Has anyone had problems filling up the tank? I've tried three different kinds of adapters/bottles and there's more gas going out than in, and that's causing bad fills (20-30 shot fills).

I've had this problem with one of my spare tanks, but not the one that came with the gun, seems to have sorted itself out now and it's accepting a full charge. I'm not sure what the problem could have been. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afternoon guys.   This morning I was very lucky to receive my brand spanking new Tokyo Marui Remington M870 Tactical, from the good folks over at Redwolf UK.   This is a text/ video review for now

Chopped the barrel and added an ATI heat shield- quite happy with the result!          

TM issues a product recall?   In other news, pigs spotted flying over Hampshire, Peter Mandelson is a force for good, David Cameron gets on his bike, Nick Clegg tells the truth and the Ministry of D

Posted Images

I've had this problem with one of my spare tanks, but not the one that came with the gun, seems to have sorted itself out now and it's accepting a full charge. I'm not sure what the problem could have been. 

perhaps one-way valve probably needed time to be lubricated and worn in? It's like some magazines need to used a couple of times before they start feeding smoothly.

perhaps one-way valve probably needed time to be lubricated and worn in? It's like some magazines need to used a couple of times before they start feeding smoothly.

seems as reasonable an explanation as any other, it was fully gassed when I received it and could have been like that for weeks so I suppose the valve could have been a little bit stiff from the internal pressure. 

Echigoya sends the units with the valve disassembled, so that wasn't it. It seems more like a problem with the size of the adapters...

Wh-what?!

In all my 15yrs of buying and using Airsoft guns and conversion kits, never have i ever experience getting a magazine or any gas tank with the valve disassembled.

The only exception is when i bought two replacement inlet valves for my glock magazines.

That's fascinating and i'm not entirely sure what's the point?

Unless it's a replacement part?

Having a gas in a tank/magazine and shipped, is usual to keep o-ring seals tight and lubricated and show to the receiving customer that it has been tested and that there was no defect or leakage.   

But anyway, I've actually kept my m870 gas tank full last night (Green Gas) and i have left it out on my coffee table, i'll be checking on it in 16-24hrs in ambient temperature of 29C-31C at 75-80% humidity, indoors and not in direct sunlight.

Let see if it will deform like BerserkDS or not. Maybe it's an inherit flaw or maybe he just has a lemon. We will see! 

• Like 1

here you go.

Imminent Death.jpg

I noticed that because of this, the tank does not slide out easily anymore. and causes the walls of the stock to widen, causing my buttpad to be easily removed just by lightly pulling. This has caused my buttpad to fall off frequently during game play from switching shoulders.

Jesus Christ! I would definitely be asking for a refund on that, that's extremely dangerous! When they test gas tanks they test for undue expansion, and that photo is basically a textbook example thereof. If it's now permanently that shape, I would continue to use it and get a replacement ASAP. If it shrinks back down as it empties, I would STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY and get a replacement; the fatigue caused by it shrinking and expanding across that range will cause it to suffer catastrophic loss of integrity in the very near future.

What ambient temperatures have you been using the gun in? It could be a metallurgical lemon, it could be that you've allowed it to overheat (I guess it doesn't have a BOV?) or it could be mechanically damaged internally - hard to tell without disassembling it.

• Like 1

Wow if that tank blows it could be very serious

+1 to this comment . Either heat or metal fatigue / lack of internal bracing , external strength capabilities seem to be the issue. , would not want that in my car or house if it decides to blow .

Had a colleague who managed to take a chunk out of his wall and split his gun apart by hanging his fully charged / gassed up gbb rifle above a radiator which heated up the mag / gun , expanded the gas. / mag and blew , scared the absolute out of his family as they where not sitting far from it when it happened .the gun was finished , mag well shattered , receiver cracked , plastic split , that was with the mag encased in the gun ,if it was outside of the gun serious injury would have ensued .

Edited by Baddbaz

Ive been using it at indoor fields only, with temperature being maybe 80 at the absolute highest. And I've used it about 4 times now. I am officially scared, don't want it exploding on my face =( and no it has not shrunk back into place. The weird part is there is no damage to the pin holes from this, and the pins are 100% straight when removed to inspect them to see if they got bent.

The vapour pressure of propane at 80°F (26.6*°C) is 128PSI. To reach the same pressure with the gun's intended gas (1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane) the temperature would have to be 95°F (35°C) which is undoubtedly pretty warm, but not exactly the surface temperature of the sun.

I'd say temperature did play a role here, but also that the tank should really be able to withstand at least 170PSI (113°F/45°C with R134A) by design and that if yours hasn't it's probably got something wrong with it.

Ive been using it at indoor fields only, with temperature being maybe 80 at the absolute highest. And I've used it about 4 times now. I am officially scared, don't want it exploding on my face =( and no it has not shrunk back into place. The weird part is there is no damage to the pin holes from this, and the pins are 100% straight when removed to inspect them to see if they got bent.

If it stays in that shape even when empty then at least it has been stable deformation. But considering the information these kind commenters above have provided, i think its better that you stop using it and get a refund/replacement. I think sending that picture, would be proof enough. 

Luckily Marui has decided to go with a replaceable system. But it also makes you think, if it's because they were worried about the quality of the tanks that they decided to with a swap system, to not only provide a easy gas change in the field but to replace old and deformed tanks....

• Like 1

If it splits at a seam and releases it gas its not so dangerous . But if it gives in and blows due to heat/ pressure build up it could be dangerous . Remember propane is highly flammable . So I would not be leaving your gun near any naked flames or heat sources whilst the tank is damaged .

I wonder if the build of this gun / conforms to any European gas safety build regulations . Even cigarette lighters have to and they carry minimal gas charges . Not hating just curious

Edited by Baddbaz

Hmm, I've been using it with green gas exclusively and kept some in the tank while in storage. There might be a very slight bent(the middle pin's top isn't exactly on one level with tank's side(if you know what I mean)) on one side, but I never used it or kept it in particulary hot places. I can put in and pull out the tank easily from the stock.

I purchased from Ehobby and they have not responded to any of my previous emails regarding my original issues with the gun. -1 for you, Ehobby.

Huh. I bought my m870 from Ehobby too, i went down to the local store to get it though.

I know one thing, they don't respond to emails as fast as a phone call or an order on the website.

I once enquire about a gun with an email, two weeks later they called me. By that time, i've already went down to the ehobby store and got a new rifle! :rolleyes: 

So yes, if email is your only means to get in touch with ehobby, be prepared to wait. In the meantime, i think getting a spare tank, isn't a bad idea...

hmm...i might get one too.

But still haven't checked on my own tank that i left gassed up on my coffee table, i'll find out tonight if it deformed or killed my living room...  :unsure:  

• Like 1

I mean just think of plastic and metal shrapnel right into the side of your face out Of nowhere. I've seen faulty propane tanks blow up, same idea but you cheek weld it lol

This is uncomfortable, since my TV, server and ps3 are within a 5m radius of my coffee table with my gas tank on it....I didn't really think this thoroughly! Really should of put it in the spare bedroom or at least in a steel container....

Thanks. now i got another urgent reason to get home faster tonight.....  :wacko:

I've left my tank filled for about a week and its definitely flexing/expanding the same. The body pins are recessed, no longer flush with the body. Guess its time to contact Tokyo Model Company and see if Marui will do something about it. I've only used the gun once so I' pretty bummed about this. Hope everyone else has luck in getting a new tank, pretty lame that I'd have to by another tank for a brand new gun

This is a pretty severe problem - I would be taking pictures and sending them into the retailer you purchased the guns from, and if they're not replying, or not doing anything I would be straight onto paypal and filing a dispute...like it or not, these goods are not up to standard. Not to mention that it is plain dangerous :(

Wh-what?!

In all my 15yrs of buying and using Airsoft guns and conversion kits, never have i ever experience getting a magazine or any gas tank with the valve disassembled.

The only exception is when i bought two replacement inlet valves for my glock magazines.

That's fascinating and i'm not entirely sure what's the point?

This is what they sent to me in the e-mail with the tracking info:

important note:

Due to the new policy of the EMS Japan (no gas no lipo battery

policy)Please be informed that we removed the magazine gas inlet valve.

please put the valve back using a minus wrench.

Best regards,

T Kashino

Echigoya Airsoft

Tokyo Japan