Tokyo Marui M870 Tactical Gas Tri-shot Shotgun- picture, text and video review

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afternoon guys.   This morning I was very lucky to receive my brand spanking new Tokyo Marui Remington M870 Tactical, from the good folks over at Redwolf UK.   This is a text/ video review for now

Chopped the barrel and added an ATI heat shield- quite happy with the result!          

TM issues a product recall?   In other news, pigs spotted flying over Hampshire, Peter Mandelson is a force for good, David Cameron gets on his bike, Nick Clegg tells the truth and the Ministry of D

Posted Images

After reading about a large amount of failures on the tm shotguns . I beg the question ?? Is tm quality control down the toilet nowadays or is it owner abuse . ( not sticking with reccomended gasses that is causing this high amount of failures , issues !!

Maybe I'm very unlucky but of the four stock new TM guns iv bought in the last 15 years, only one hasn't had issues straight from the box or in a short amount of time. I kind of expect to have to do some fettling on any airsoft purchase. Doesn't really put me off with TM guns as I know they will be well supported with after market fixes and I'm probably going to chop and change things on/in them anyway.

After reading about a large amount of failures on the tm shotguns . I beg the question ?? Is tm quality control down the toilet nowadays or is it owner abuse . ( not sticking with reccomended gasses that is causing this high amount of failures , issues !!

I have quite a few TM AEGs and NONE of them have let me down at all since I started playing back in 1999, so TM quality is still there and I don't doubt it at all.

However, my shotgun has not worked right from the beginning; mainly misfeeds, and I'm giving up on it for the time being.

If the aluminum nozzles come down in price, I might give it a go again.

But right now, I'm still to do anything about it.

Well, you can either buy a plastic nozzle that, due to the design of the feed system, will likely break.  Or you can buy an aluminium one, which cannot break.

What I'm worried is that something else will might break instead of the nozzles, namely the plastic rail/track it glides back and forth on.

Edited by johnyew

What I'm worried is that something else will might break instead of the nozzles, namely the plastic rail/track it glides back and forth on.

Understandable.

I've been using mine with the metal nozzle for a while now.  While I won't guess about what causes the original error leading to nozzle breakage, I can tell you that when that malfunction happens now, the loading action cannot finish.  This causes the pump to stick in place a centimeter or two before returning completely forward.  To clear the jam, all you have to do is remove the shell, and work the action to fire the left over bbs.

This happens every couple shells, doesn't bother me too much. And I've checked the internals to make sure, everything else in there looks fine.

I do wish the product just worked though.

Edited by GSO-Geko

Are you guys getting these failures in stock condition? I know the misfeeds occur but my 3 shot has been fine. I dont really use 6 shot to know but the few times i switched over to that mode there were no problems. Also, broken nozzles? Just curious to see if i have to be on the look out for anything in the future. 

Are you guys getting these failures in stock condition? I know the misfeeds occur but my 3 shot has been fine. I dont really use 6 shot to know but the few times i switched over to that mode there were no problems. Also, broken nozzles? Just curious to see if i have to be on the look out for anything in the future. 

Yes, in my case, it misfeeds and wont pump all the way to the end, stops short just like Geko describes and sometimes doesn't go forward at all. It happens on both 134a as well as Top gas and ACM as well as TM shells.

in my frustration, I will just muscle my way through the pump action and that is what breaks the nozzles. I know now to not do it ever again and instead, just pop the shell out and let the BBs fall out BUT when a player is charging your position and you're popping the shells out.... :fear2:  :fear2:  :fear2:

Like Geko said, I just wish it just worked. TM really dropped the ball on this shotgun.... and they're releasing the Breacher soon. :o

TOKYO MARUI M870 BREACHER!!!! First Youtube review. 

Thanks MachSakai!!

Edit - Important info from the video:

Magazine tube is the same length as m870 tactical, i think it's a good estimated guess that the inner barrel is the same length as well.

Slide action is the same as the m870 tactical

Range test:

3 shot mode -

5m - 3 hits in a 10cm grouping

10m - 2 hits at 10cm grouping (one flyer)

6 shot mode - 

5m - all hit the A4 paper target

10m - all hit within a man size target

Edited by onizuka-gto

Yes, in my case, it misfeeds and wont pump all the way to the end, stops short just like Geko describes and sometimes doesn't go forward at all. It happens on both 134a as well as Top gas and ACM as well as TM shells.

in my frustration, I will just muscle my way through the pump action and that is what breaks the nozzles. I know now to not do it ever again and instead, just pop the shell out and let the BBs fall out BUT when a player is charging your position and you're popping the shells out.... :fear2:  :fear2:  :fear2:

Like Geko said, I just wish it just worked. TM really dropped the ball on this shotgun.... and they're releasing the Breacher soon. :o

Now that you mention it, sometimes i do have trouble with the pump action. Sometimes it stops short and i just pull it harder to complete the remaining pump action. So far though, i dont see any changes. I do notice that sometimes i would hear a loud hiss (very apparent) and to stop it i would pump the shotgun and shot it to stop the hiss temporarily. However, leaving it there sometimes, it can re-initiate and for games, picking up a shotgun with no gas is not good for me ...

Now that you mention it, sometimes i do have trouble with the pump action. Sometimes it stops short and i just pull it harder to complete the remaining pump action. So far though, i dont see any changes. I do notice that sometimes i would hear a loud hiss (very apparent) and to stop it i would pump the shotgun and shot it to stop the hiss temporarily. However, leaving it there sometimes, it can re-initiate and for games, picking up a shotgun with no gas is not good for me ...

That's a chamber leak.  Take it apart, lube the chamber orings and you're good to go.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER force the action.  It will break.  And that is your fault for FORCING THE ACTION.

If you get a partial racking action, remove the shell and (safely, i.e. don't do it in the safe zone) try the trigger. Sometimes the action picks up more BBs than intended or whatever reason and it seems to stick. Firing should force the BBs out (keep firing until no more BBs are chambered) and then you can re-insert the shell and continue as before. 

Don't try to clear the action by firing with a shell magazine still in the gun! As long as there is no shell loaded, you can keep firing and it shouldn't cause any further damage - all you're doing is clearing any BBs in the nozzle. It's actually on the instructions sheet included with your gun - it's just in Japanese.