Tokyo Marui M870 Tactical Gas Tri-shot Shotgun- picture, text and video review

I guess it just makes sense to remove the magazine when trying to clear these jams so that more BBs aren't simply added. :)

Quick Q for other M870 owners -- for those of you that have chopped down the tactical length outer barrel, any special requirements or just saw it off? Cheers!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afternoon guys.   This morning I was very lucky to receive my brand spanking new Tokyo Marui Remington M870 Tactical, from the good folks over at Redwolf UK.   This is a text/ video review for now

Chopped the barrel and added an ATI heat shield- quite happy with the result!          

TM issues a product recall?   In other news, pigs spotted flying over Hampshire, Peter Mandelson is a force for good, David Cameron gets on his bike, Nick Clegg tells the truth and the Ministry of D

Posted Images

What I'm worried is that something else will might break instead of the nozzles, namely the plastic rail/track it glides back and forth on.

But I thought TM "never" go wrong??

Are they not the "best" airsoft ever in the entire world?............. :sleep_1:

I'll be honest, Im planning on selling my TM870 shorty. After using it for skirmishing, I can really say it doesn't perform the way I would personally want a shotgun to perform. I haven't had any major mechanical issue with mine, other then the fact that 6 shot never worked. Out of the box it only fired 5, so the nozzle was shipped busted.

But Im just overall not very impressed with it. The entire assembly of the gun is wobbly and feels as if it wants to fall apart, theres barely any spread so its use in CQB has been better served using a pistol, and having been a user (And tinkerer) of the the Marushin M500 and its various ACM clones, I can honestly say I found the 5-shot 6mm M500 to work better for me in the role of a shotgun. I was also able to modify the M500s to different roles and even cut down the entire thing into nearly Serbu-length.

Not to say I want to go back to an ACM M500, But I think Im going to give the APS CAM870 shorty a whirl and see how it goes. shell ejecting or not, the idea of 12 pellets per shot sounds great (I might load only 9 to simulate standard 00 buckshot and get a small fps increase) , especially since they actually spread usefully. I see the shorty as a replacement for a pistol in my loadout, so in the role of a secondary weapon I think it should work well.

I dunno though. the TM870 started out really great but over time it just kind of fell short of the mark.

Edited by Brigg

But I thought TM "never" go wrong??

Are they not the "best" airsoft ever in the entire world?............. :sleep_1:

Garry, out of respect for my post, don't just use only part of my replies to prop up whatever agenda or grievances you have with TM. 

If you can't use or quote my replies in it's entirety, then don't use any of it.

Thanks.

For those having the 5 shot issue....have you guys tried using smaller diameter bbs like marui and biovals?

I havent played in a game myself for a while and the last time I pumped a shot out of my second (sold my first one to a buddy) 870 was when I got it..maybe last march. Lol

Garry, out of respect for my post, don't just use only part of my replies to prop up whatever agenda or grievances you have with TM. 

If you can't use or quote my replies in it's entirety, then don't use any of it.

Thanks.

No agenda fella.

Just a bit of tongue in cheek. 

No need to spit the dummy........ ;)

For those having the 5 shot issue....have you guys tried using smaller diameter bbs like marui and biovals?

I havent played in a game myself for a while and the last time I pumped a shot out of my second (sold my first one to a buddy) 870 was when I got it..maybe last march. Lol

I tried with Biovals, didn't help.

I guess it just makes sense to remove the magazine when trying to clear these jams so that more BBs aren't simply added. :)

Quick Q for other M870 owners -- for those of you that have chopped down the tactical length outer barrel, any special requirements or just saw it off? Cheers!

I cut it with an industrial band saw but it can be easily done with a Dremel. I filed the resulting cut to even it up.

• Like 1

Some people have been using pipe cutters.

• Like 1

That's alright, from RWUK its £279, so straight dollar to pound conversion (I don't know if the standard RW site accounts for tax etc). :(

I definitely want one, and I really hope the 6 shot mode works too, because its a damn shotty. Probably my next gun to buy, this or a AW338 of some sort hah

Good luck to all prospective new owners! :)

Has anyone fitted the G&P railed forearms? Just wondering if the installation tool is mandatory or if a good toolbox can handle it instead? I couldn't find any installation videos, but if anyone does have one I'd love to see it. Thanks!

Is the price that surprising?  Honest question because on the sites I've looked at it's basically just a couple of $ less than the original which makes sense.  The barrel being slightly shorter won't really save any money in production, the plastic stock vs plastic pistol grip won't cost much different and they've both got tanks to hold the gas.  I'd imagine the breacher tank will handle propane far better as well given that it's not a thin slab.

USD$279 to 279 GBP?! ridiculous! 

Then again i understand the mark up price, its all business. Just that compared to the local Hong Kong price (HK$1,980 / US$255) it seems excessive, but then again I'll probably be ###### off if i knew the local Japanese price, so i guess ignorance is bliss.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure almost all of the components are the same and to be fair i agree with the previous comments, if they just kept the 3-Round or 6-round mode and none of this switching malarkey, i'm pretty sure they could of avoided these internal problems. Because frankly, this loading system is almost exactly the same as the pump spring version.

If they really wanted a 6-shot mode they could of redesigned it from the ground up, but i guess cost and existing facilities made them adapt the existing system.

Ah well, i'll see once i get my hand on it....and take it apart. hehehehehe 

Edited by onizuka-gto

YES!!! Just got it!!! It can run on green gas!!  Will update with how many shells the gas tank can shoot (just started...on three so far!! hehehe)

DSC_0345.JPG

DSC_0346.JPG

DSC_0347.JPG

DSC_0349.JPG

DSC_0348.JPG

DSC_0351.JPG

DSC_0352.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

Some comparison with M870 tactical:

DSC_0355.JPG

Comparison with Maruzen M1100 revision 2:

DSC_0354.JPG

Edited by onizuka-gto
  • Like 3

USD$279 to 279 GBP?! ridiculous! 

Then again i understand the mark up price, its all business. Just that compared to the local Hong Kong price (HK$1,980 / US$255) it seems excessive, but then again I'll probably be ###### off if i knew the local Japanese price, so i guess ignorance is bliss.

£279 does include 20% VAT though, 16.66% of the retail price goes straight to revenue and customs and retailers will have to pay some duty on importing them.

Quite often when I look at the difference in price between buying something from HK and the same thing from a UK shop the only difference in price is the VAT, given that I mainly buy for R&D purposes these days I just buy from UK shops reclaim the VAT and not have to worry about having to pay it on import, then reclaiming it back, paying duty to the EU and a clearing fee to the courier ontop.