Tokyo Marui M870 Tactical Gas Tri-shot Shotgun- picture, text and video review

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afternoon guys.   This morning I was very lucky to receive my brand spanking new Tokyo Marui Remington M870 Tactical, from the good folks over at Redwolf UK.   This is a text/ video review for now

Chopped the barrel and added an ATI heat shield- quite happy with the result!          

TM issues a product recall?   In other news, pigs spotted flying over Hampshire, Peter Mandelson is a force for good, David Cameron gets on his bike, Nick Clegg tells the truth and the Ministry of D

Posted Images

£279 does include 20% VAT though, 16.66% of the retail price goes straight to revenue and customs and retailers will have to pay some duty on importing them.

Quite often when I look at the difference in price between buying something from HK and the same thing from a UK shop the only difference in price is the VAT, given that I mainly buy for R&D purposes these days I just buy from UK shops reclaim the VAT and not have to worry about having to pay it on import, then reclaiming it back, paying duty to the EU and a clearing fee to the courier ontop.

Interesting! 

Anyway, just a small update, been banging though a few shells, the tank holds up to green gas perfectly. It's solid built. But i could tell it wasn't really built for it.

I had to make sure i pushed it in until it clicked and locked. First time it just popped back out, venting a little of the green gas.

So far, i've managed to get six shells out of the gas tank on green gas, firing on 3-shot. i won't bother with six-shot just half the result and take it as that.

I made sure the tank was warmed up before firing (with hairdryer), so cool down was at a minimum, couldn't clock it cos i don't have a chorno, but i reckon it was just around 280-290fps-ish judging from it's trajectory based upon my PX3 storm marui at 10m.

I reckon i can probably get 12 shells worth on 3-rounds using 134a gas, but probably around 230fps-ish. But don't take my word, it's all guessimates.

I can actually see myself buying another gas tank for this, its about the size of a short glock marui mag and feels just as sturdy.

I won't be taking it apart anytime soon without having at least one game with it, so don't ask me about the internals.

having a choke and side shell holder coming in soon, so i'll post it up after i get it installed. :)

Edit: oh, spoke too soon. shotgun jammed after the 17th shell. 

Can rack the slide, but trigger ain't releasing the hammer. seems like i'll have to open it to reset the trigger. huh. so soon already....

since i just got it today, i'll see if i can return it to the store and get replace before opening it....

Edited by onizuka-gto

Edit: oh, spoke too soon. shotgun jammed after the 17th shell. 

Can rack the slide, but trigger ain't releasing the hammer. seems like i'll have to open it to reset the trigger. huh. so soon already....

since i just got it today, i'll see if i can return it to the store and get replace before opening it....

Let us know via updates please. Joined the forum as I was told the CQB Breacher has issues already. Possibly it's a Lemon?

Let us know via updates please. Joined the forum as I was told the CQB Breacher has issues already. Possibly it's a Lemon?

lemon?

yes, this is a possibility!

So i'm going to take it back today and see what the shop will do. Get it exchanged and see if it happens again, if it does, then maybe the first batch has a problem? who knows, better to find out early! :busted_blue:  

Luckily it was raining this morning, so i managed to sneak the m870 breacher, box and all into my office. lol.

Which means i can head straight from work to the shop. 

Issues already? Same issues as the full length or new issues (post is a little vague), BioRage?

It feels like a similiar problem i've encountered on the larger m870 tactical, which i simply solved by resetting the trigger mechanism. 

However this is only a guess, as i did not open it. Since i just got it yesterday, i'll take it back to the shop and see if i can get a replacement, just to make sure i didn't get a lemon.

Just take note, that just before the trigger jammed, bbs were starting to falling out of the barrels after i racked it and even though i was using 3-round mode,

i was also running on green gas. Although its built for 134a, i was following the example of the shop bloke who filled the gas tank with green gas during the demonstration after test firing one magazine-shell worth (30 BB).

How does the grip feel?  The real Pachmayr Vindicator is a substantial chunk of rubber.  

The pistol grip feels good! It's grippy with the rubber giving way if you tightly grip it, yet feels very solid. i reckon i can hold it for a lot longer than the awkward angled grip of the m870 tactical at shoulder high, but that's just a personal opinion as i'm far more accustom to pistol style holding. 

Edited by onizuka-gto
  • Like 1

So, I decided to take apart my 870 to figure out why I'm having feeding issues.

Behold,

The new addition I mentioned earlier (pin in between nozzles) was bent and actually created an additional hole off center to the actual guide hole in the hop up. Already a bad move on Marui's part. So I simply removed it. Going to field text it tomorrow and see if it feeds normally.

Ok so I've finally heard back from my tech with whats wrong with my M870.. seems I've broken the pivot on one of the loading racks.. This part: 

Anyone know if a spare is available? and where from? 

There's a CNC aluminum version that's available in stores now. I'm using one.

Well, the shop closed early....earlier than 6pm today, seemed to be installing aircon....gah. And all that effort to drag my m870 breacher to work and back out....

well anyway, concerning the possibility of attaching third party g&p or angry gun stock gas tank....

Short answer? Yes. it looks like it's possible.

Long answer? Looks more complicated to disassemble, just to get to that stage where you can remove the pistol grip assembly, please examine picture below to understand why:

DSC_0002.JPG

See that round screw head to the far top right corner (i will call it the "anchor screw" to easily identify it)? That looks exactly like the screw in the tactical m870 that held the stock to the receiver.

Now i'm not sure if removing the two screws flanking the "anchor screw" will loosen the piston grip or whether i have to unscrew the gas port that is to the far left (the one with the black cross in the centre), which has a 8 side hexagon nut.

Because even if we can remove the pistol grip, this does not mean it will remove the "entire assembly" of the pistol grip, the "entire assembly" refers to the top angular part of the pistol grip which prevents use from reaching the "anchor screw".

See picture below:

DSC_0003.JPG

The angular part refers to the piece that has the sling mount on, it has a funny half-circle pin, just below and to the left of the sling mount, that i'm not sure if you are suppose to knock out or by some other way.

So there you go, as i mentioned before, i'm not going to disassemble it until i can get a replacement or something like that, if not, then it'll be time to break out the tools.  :D

I should be sad that i have to do this, but i'm actually looking forward to it.....  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Tm quality !!!

Not any more .

It's one gun and a varient of it with what does seem to be a design flaw, not exactly worth slamming the entire TM range over, they are still doing better than most other manufacturers on the new product design and overall reliability front.

These M870s seem to have the most complex internal system of any of their modern releases so it's not too suprising it's got issues, earlier comments about it being better if it just had 3 shot or 6 shot mode and no selector seem to have merit though, I think keeping it simpler would have been better.

The MP7 nozzle issues seem to be a limited problem and one that was caused by a manufacturing defect rather than a design flaw, Demoncase wrote a long post what about probably caused it during the injection moulding process in the MP7 review thread and from what I know about injection moulding it seemed spot on.

With the MP7 nozzles what we don't know is if TM produced the mould and parts themselves or if it was subcontracted out, if it was subbed out (which is entirely possible) then it might be the fault of the manufacturer of the mould, although TM are still responsible for tracking down the issue and resolving it, which iirc they did try to do. A potentially defective nozzle is a minor fault in the grand scheme of airsoft though, replacements soon came out and while having to replace a part soon after purchase isn't ideal it is at least an easy part to fit.