Tokyo Marui M870 Tactical Gas Tri-shot Shotgun- picture, text and video review

Got my m870 3 days ago, was about to play this morning, got to the game, and on the first rounf I started a sprint, got about 10-15 meters, and I completally faceplant! The shotgun goes flying:( As I try to shoot it the bb`s just scatter to all sides when I fire. upon checking the barrel, I see that a black plate in front of the inner barrels has been moved so the barrels are slightly covered. I almost started to cry, I didn`t get to fire one single shot with it:( So I will be delivering it to my local smith to see if he can fix it.

I hate my life now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afternoon guys.   This morning I was very lucky to receive my brand spanking new Tokyo Marui Remington M870 Tactical, from the good folks over at Redwolf UK.   This is a text/ video review for now

Chopped the barrel and added an ATI heat shield- quite happy with the result!          

TM issues a product recall?   In other news, pigs spotted flying over Hampshire, Peter Mandelson is a force for good, David Cameron gets on his bike, Nick Clegg tells the truth and the Ministry of D

Posted Images

Got my m870 3 days ago, was about to play this morning, got to the game, and on the first rounf I started a sprint, got about 10-15 meters, and I completally faceplant! The shotgun goes flying:( As I try to shoot it the bb`s just scatter to all sides when I fire. upon checking the barrel, I see that a black plate in front of the inner barrels has been moved so the barrels are slightly covered. I almost started to cry, I didn`t get to fire one single shot with it:( So I will be delivering it to my local smith to see if he can fix it.

I hate my life now.

The inner barrels are secured with a small plastic piece at the front, it just clips onto the three barrels at the front to keep them in position so if it is only a case of it slightly out of position blocking the barrels it should be easy to fix.  You might even be able to look down the barrel and use a long screw driver to push it back into place onto the three barrels without having to take it apart.

• 3 weeks later...

Got it yesterday, will test it out tonight at a local field.

Quite heavy, I like it.. finish isn't as great as the APS CAM870, but that's ok. They really coulda made it smaller.. but I guess the "SAT CNC Shortened outer barrel" exists now for a reason..

Just afraid of this thing breaking on me, haha! Has anyone dremeled/drilled a piticanny rail successfully on the stock pump grip?

• 1 month later...

Just got something to clarify. I'm opening up Calbur20's 870 to fix a slow leak on the main valve (spring just needs more tension to hold green gas properly) and to see if I can make the 6 shot actually load 6 instead of 5. I took a look at the loading arm's condition and the posts were perfectly straight. Not only that, it appears to be made out of steel as you can see below being picked up by a magnetic screwdriver. I had the impression that these were made of monkey metal which is why they sagged in the first place. Is this perhaps an update by Marui or something?

IMG_7183.jpg

I think Marui must have changed the materials and made an update. The broken one that came out of my early release Breacher was definitely made from monkey metal.. you could see the air bubbles etc... Good to know they've noted weaknesses and made improvements! 

What is the reason exactly for it loading 5 shots instead of 6 anyway?

Mine was one of the first batch in the US and it did that out of the box. Because of that and the really unstable feeling barrel I stopped using it in favor of a cam870. And it's sat in the closet ever since.

I don't suppose there's any fix for that wobbly as hell barrel while we're at it too, is there?

Can't say for sure, but I've put in a stiffer nozzle lock spring to aid timing and slightly stretched and tempered the main nozzle spring itself. Different bb weights also seem to influence it as heavier bbs are moved up the feed tube slower. The loading arm just goes down and up and then all over again so fast it's like a 50rps AEG skipping a beat.

The main valve started to leak again in today's game though it would do so at random instead of just leaking as soon as green gas was put in. The spring was stretched 130% from original length and I think it's more of a seating issue than sheer pressure. Will do the same mods but to a breacher model this time and try 150% length to see if it helps.

With much sciencing later, it really does boil down to pressure. Both 130% and 150% stretched springs failed when they got warm enough. Now put in an unknown spring, probably a PDI170 but I can't be sure. Stops the leak dead but also resists the hammer spring to only do 215fps with .25g. Will be trying weaker springs and harder hammer springs.

AEG spring installed, stock stretched spring at right.

IMG_20150729_171733.jpg