Tokyo Marui M870 Tactical Gas Tri-shot Shotgun- picture, text and video review

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Afternoon guys.   This morning I was very lucky to receive my brand spanking new Tokyo Marui Remington M870 Tactical, from the good folks over at Redwolf UK.   This is a text/ video review for now

Chopped the barrel and added an ATI heat shield- quite happy with the result!          

TM issues a product recall?   In other news, pigs spotted flying over Hampshire, Peter Mandelson is a force for good, David Cameron gets on his bike, Nick Clegg tells the truth and the Ministry of D

Posted Images

Just to be clear, the tank on the 870 is fine for japanese home market specifications, as it was built to take HFC134a aka "Duster" gas.

However, it is unsuitable for Green Gas application without some modification, therefore in stock configuration limits the effective range of the shotgun, bringing the fps of the group shot to be around 240-280fps (temperature variation).

If you want something with better range, i suggest the CA870 that will be released sometime soon, which takes CO2 charged shells that are loaded with paper wads and hold 12 BBs per shot. Firing with a more realistic pump action. I think the going price is around US$520 or something around that.

(is pre-ordering it already) :D

Edited by onizuka-gto

The CA and TM are completely different propositions - the TM is a gas-in-gun inner-barrelled trishot, and the CA is a gas-in-shell true shotgun. The TM with capacity for 50 consecutive shots is $320ish. The APS (not CA) is $520 before you get any shells and if the Madbull SS6s (the only other CO2 shotshells on the market) are anything to go by 50 shells (one per shot) would run you $650 for a total price of $1170, almost four times as much as the TM before you get into having to buy wadding and paper for each shell and reloading them manually after each and every shot...

[EDIT]Also, I contest the idea that the 12 BBs in each APS M870 shell will automatically best the 30 in each TM shell. The APS is a true shotgun; it has no inner barrel to accelerate or direct its shot, let alone hop-ups. Without the benefit of the Magnus effect imparted by hop-up BBs make rubbish projectiles in terms of range and accuracy; I would expect the APS to be a close-range CQB weapon at best.[/EDIT]

Edited by PureSilver

I stand corrected, the  designation of the APS shotgun is CAM870, not CA870

And just to clarify, i didn't say the CAM870 will automatically be better than the TM M870, however the system does seem to be more effective as a shotgun should be. 

However since i have yet to see much information about it to discuss about any of your points, i'll just have to take your word for now.  :D

But there is one thing i can agree with you, it's going to be an expensive system! I can hear my wallet crying, but luckily i'm selectively deaf at the moment.  :rolleyes:  :D

• Like 1

Wonder how legal that APS CAM870 is going to be, gas-in-shell has landed models in trouble before.

Depends where you are?

If your country has had problems with Gas Grenade BB shells from replica grenade launchers, (i.e. they require you to fill each shell with gas to fire) then you might have cause to be concerned.

Best to check before thinking of getting the CAM870M.

As to answer the HPA question, the fact that a green gas 3rd party reservoir was successfully adapted for the m870, a HPA is very possible and i think it will be quite easy considering the way the main body is attached to the tank.

The only problem will be switching out the nozzle and configuring the correct psi, as unlike other shotguns like the ACM500 or the maruzen shotgun, the TM has a brass pre-reservoir gas chamber before the nozzle that might not be able to handle psi greater than green gas.  

I was thinking of adapting a CO2 pistol grip adaptation, couldn't think of a elegant way to fit in a variable flow valve into a pistol grip.

But i guess with a HPA, aesthetics angle isn't really a concern.

Edited by onizuka-gto
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been having feeding issues since the day I got it. It would dry fire at times or only shoot 2, 4, or 5 BBs every shot on either mode. Maybe even just 1 BB. I've tried two different brands of BBs and weights, but it didn't make a difference. Anyone else encountering this issue?

Are you using TM shells only or another brand? I found the TM shells to be the only reliable feeding shells (and in particular the white ones, as those are the only ones I have access to at the moment). 

Clone shells from ASG / Double Eagle seems slightly smaller in diameter and don't feed very well at all. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don't feed or work erratically as you mentioned above!  

• 2 weeks later...