Magpul PTS RM4 ERG Series.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you're misusing the phrase 'prone to failure', and even if you weren't, the Recoil Shock is a modern design not known for failures to feed or dropping 100fps at random. In addition to that, th

Pics of before and after changing the front end, comp and extending the wiring into the peq box.      

Could just be that we airsofters are a fickle bunch who constantly need to get the latest shiny things.

Posted Images

in the ERG there is the main spring and behind th recoil weight there is a shorter spring of the same diameter .

We found that if you replace the short spring with one of the power you would normally use to achieve the desired fps in an aeg . then cut it to the length of the one you took out , you will get around the desired fps 

EG , we took the short spring out and replaced them with M100 aeg springs that we cut to the length of the original recoil spring and this gave us 330 fps on average but maintained recoil (in fact it seemed to possibly increase it 

Thanks for that 1st Commando, I finally got round to clipping an M90 spring. It's shooting a solid 334-338fps now consistant too which I'm very happy with! 

Still pondering the UBR stock though! Looks possible with a bit of work!

Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Questions guys.  One.  I read somewhere that the barrel on the ERG is thicker than a normal AEG's?  Is this true?  I plan on putting a low profile gas block under a Mk18 rail system and before I buy the block, I want to know if it will even fit.  Secondly.  I know the buffer tube is special due to the kinetic system.  Will the tube still accept regular AEG stocks?  I wanted to replace it with a crane style stock if so.

Yes you can put a regular AEG stock on it and as far as I am aware the outerbarrels are the same thickness as normal. But you'll be hard pushed to fit a battery under the MK18 rail. I tried and couldnt do it! 

I'd like to know when the standard bodied m4 is released too. If it's soon I might wait otherwise I may well have to order a scout to go with the CQBR and tweak the fps.

I don't know when the standard bodied will arrive but I hope its soon. If not drop me a PM Phil, I've just ordered a CQB version and might be looking to shift my Scout. 

IMG_7650.jpg

Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so I got my CQBR through today. Surprisingly its shooting 365fps the same as the Scout which is a bit disappointing! Going to give levelling the springs out a go see if that'll sort it out. It's also not shooting anywhere near as good as the Scout. Range and accuracy are terrible in comparison! Any tips? Can I use standard Hop parts? Rubber, Nub etc?

Edited by DeltaZero

Okie dokie. I have a maple leaf 70deg sitting beside me so I will give that a go, otherwise I'll get a Guarder one. One question though.. and this is going to seem so stupid! How the hell do I get the upper receiver off? I've not given it a go yet, but would I be right in presuming its stock tube off> undo bolt at back of receiver>front pin out> slide off? I've only tried with the front pin off and it aint budging! 

Nope. It is front pin only mate. First disconnect the wiring loom then pull the pin out and slide it forward making sure you squeeze the release on the charging handle as that's attached to the gearbox then it should slide off. The fit in the hop unit is quite tight though so I put a little froglube on the outside of the rubber to ease it in. Oo-er!!

Ahh bloody hell! I managed to do it in the end but thought you needed the stock tube off.. Been doing that all evening as I've been messing around with the hop! FAIL! Oh well you learn from mistakes! haha. Having major problems with the hop on my CQBR... just seems to throw them any which way it chooses. And my Scout is playing around now too! :(

I've got a couple guarder clear rubbers arriving tomorrow so I will give them a go. Couldnt for the life of me get the Maple Leaf in or both red and blue Madbull rubbers. Hopefully the guarder is a little thinner! :/

Edited by DeltaZero

Odd that they still haven't put out a non-Magpul version yet. I would think a standard M4 RIS setup would appeal to a larger audience. Perhaps some sort of exclusivity agreement with Magpul?

It's coming :) Was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Edited by Krydel

I don't think anyone has done a side by side with regards to firing experience. I'm sure there are comparison photos etc on either this thread page one or the other ERG review thread but can't remember how detailed it got.

On a different note though, I have enough put aside for the M4 when it's released too. Then I'm done for the year...Probably. I may even get rid of my other AEG's.

If you look at the diagram the piston compresses both the main spring, spring guide, second spring and recoil weight, because it's one long giant unit with no back is why both spring effect it's fps, as it's compressing both.

Ideally you would want to keep stronger springs in there for the recoil. Even if it's the less efficient route battery wise I'd be tempted to try the ported cylinder, there's lots of inbetween cylinders with many different port sizes maybe you can tube that way as mentioned above or maybe a wider bore barrel like the new Prometheus delta at 6.20, or magicbox at 6,06.

I don't think anyone has done a side by side with regards to firing experience. I'm sure there are comparison photos etc on either this thread page one or the other ERG review thread but can't remember how detailed it got.

Well, there was little or no Science involved, but I did a side by side comparison between the RM4 and the TM SOPMOD. I bought the ERG in the end (from Redwolf UK). The Redwolf team were happy for me to compare and play (this is before they had any idea I was even going to buy anything!!!). Everything I say now is opinion.....so be warned.

The RM4 immediately felt more substantial than the TM, just holding the RM4, feeling the finish on the receiver etc, it just felt like a higher quality product. In contrast, the TM felt like a toy, the shiny plastic pistol grip, the shallow markings on the receiver and even the thin material thickness of the TM body just left me feeling empty and wondering about all the hype! All of this was considered against the backdrop of the price difference between the two units!!

After shooting both guns (multiple times), without a doubt, the RM4 kicks harder!! Incidentally, I'd also had the chance to shoot the KWA (PTS) MKM Mega Arms GBBR that day, and neither gun kicks anywhere near a typical GBBR.....that said, the RM4 provides a good solid kick that is both satisfying and adequate. Given the trade offs one must expect with the use of a GBBR, the diminished kick of a EEB is a fair trade. In terms of felt recoil the RM4 wins hands down against the TM. Given that this is the true selling point of both guns, things were not looking good for the TM at this point.

One area I felt the TM did beat the RM4 was audio report. The TM sounded better! No, I don't mean the silly clack clack that comes from the faux bolt, I mean the gearbox whine....the RM4 sounds loose and screechy, whilst the TM sounded smooth and competent! I kid you not, this alone nearly swung it for me....the sound was that sweet!......however...

In the end there were a number of factors that sold the RM4 over the TM....here they are.

1. Cost. The RM4 is almost half the price of the most expensive TM recoil....which also happens to be the most desirable TM recoil :)

2. Build quality externally. The RM4 feels like you could drop in a real steel mag and clip off a couple of 5.56 NATO rounds (for those who know any better, this clearly isn't possible), while the TM, literally, feels like a toy - in comparison!!

3. Mags. The RM4 mags are delicious and cheap!! A box of 3 can be had for £35, unlike TM recoil mags!! And the fact you can use standard AEG mags with no adaptor requirements just makes the RM4 massively adaptable to your gaming environment at no extra cost.

4. Starting set up. The TM comes in around 280fps, you can leave it stock, of course, and the jury seems to be out as to the real world effects of doing so (does it really take longer for your shots to reach their destination???) Whatever the true facts are, people are opting to upgrade their TM's to capitalise on the higher UK fps limits....unless done right this may spell doom for the TM, the RM4 comes in at around 400fps....downgrading appears to be brutally simple, and once done you should (in theory) be operating well within the limits of the gearbox's capability. To me this equates to longevity....we'll see.

5. Parts support and availability. Now, KWA hasn't been known for its great parts availability, but it's still worlds away from the agro known to TM owners. Of course I'm talking about parts that can't be simply substituted with after market components, in the case of the TM recoil this could be receivers or stock tubes..(?). The thing that worries me, with TM making no attempt to comply to EU (UK) rohs requirements, how long will those guns be available to UK retailers? If the guns dry up and can't be sold, how many retailers will make the effort to source and stock specific TM parts (most don't even now!!!). KWA is jumping through the rohs hoops, so who knows, does this suggest they're taking the EU market seriously? And therefore are looking to improve EU customer support and parts supply? Time will tell.

Summary.

Well, in the end I bought the RM4. I will Hopefully take it out in a few weeks and thrape it good and proper! After that, I'll either love it and replace all my AEG's with these......or, I'll be heading back to Redwolf to buy a TM Recoil Shock.... :) no matter what happens, when it comes to electric, you can't beat those good vibrations, whether they come from Japan or Taiwan.

Shake, rattle and roll!

• Like 2