Magpul PTS RM4 ERG Series.

Other question, when the magazine is empty, the gun stops shooting.

Does anything actually lock back?

Is there any feedback upon pressing the mag release like on a gbbr?

Obviously it's one area ptws lack, (no feedback on pressing the bolt catch)

There's no lock back in that sense. Everything on the gun is a simulation. Pressing the bolt release is as lifeless as a PTW et al. The only benefit (currently) of a PTW over everything else - clones not included, is the complete cycle for every trigger pull. I'm not sure if an ASCU will fit into a Recoil Shock of any flavour?!? If you could fit one, then even the PTW (and it's clones) would be redundant.....IMHO.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you're misusing the phrase 'prone to failure', and even if you weren't, the Recoil Shock is a modern design not known for failures to feed or dropping 100fps at random. In addition to that, th

Pics of before and after changing the front end, comp and extending the wiring into the peq box.      

Could just be that we airsofters are a fickle bunch who constantly need to get the latest shiny things.

Posted Images

Great comparison write up.

I'm curious ... has any one tried removing the recoil mechanism and making the gun run without it? Kinda like having a PTW without the insane cost?

If you did you would lose all compression.. So no, not possible. But you can on the tm NGRS because of the different compartments.

If you did you would lose all compression.. So no, not possible. But you can on the tm NGRS because of the different compartments.

Someone mentioned it to me as possible while I was working the booth at shot show this year. Said they replaced the recoil component with something else which removed the recoil, removed the additional weight in the rear, but kept the gun shooting.

I'm sure you could block the buffer tube, though why you would want to remove the recoil I don't know.  Infact you have it the wrong way round Systema know needs to add recoil to there out dated system.

I like the recoil, don't get me wrong. I'm just curious.

Ok something I think is worth mentioning for all you guys in the UK looking to downgrade their RM4s.. I did as 1st Commando suggested and inserted a M90 spring clipped down to match the length of the rear spring in the recoil system. Whilst this works it does unfortunately mean that the recoil becomes off balanced. I would have thought this was due to the springs not being balanced. 

If you think about it, having 1 stronger spring then a weaker one will push the piston forward faster than the recoil weight will spring forward. The rifle fires fine like this however it ruins the recoil experience as its completely out of sync. I would also be wary of the weight and piston being so out of sync it could eventually cause some damage to the internals once they start slamming into each other on opposite oscillations.

Now I would presume that balancing out both springs by using another m90 spring cut to the same length as the front gearbox spring will solve the issue and balance things up. But it's something to bear in mind. I haven't tried it yet but once I get hold of another spring to clip I will and post some feedback.

I'm not entirely sure but from recollection wasn't it supposed to be the rear spring that needed to be clipped?

see post from page6:

in the ERG there is the main spring and behind th recoil weight there is a shorter spring of the same diameter .

We found that if you replace the short spring with one of the power you would normally use to achieve the desired fps in an aeg . then cut it to the length of the one you took out , you will get around the desired fps 

EG , we took the short spring out and replaced them with M100 aeg springs that we cut to the length of the original recoil spring and this gave us 330 fps on average but maintained recoil (in fact it seemed to possibly increase it

Edited by Deadmeat

I'm not entirely sure but from recollection wasn't it supposed to be the rear spring that needed to be clipped?

see post from page6:

Yeah, that's what he told me as well. So essentially, I guess the safest downgrade solution is to replace both springs using the same calibur (coil strength) and cutting down the rear spring only.

It seems the gearbox spring is easily accessible once the buffer tube is removed (from what I've seen) it seems to just tumble out. Is this correct? This means the gearbox doesn't need to be opened.

the bolt catch feedback would've been nice but i wouldn't let that be a deal breaker for you. Everything else on the gun is great.

To answer the question about springs; yes - once you've removed the buffer tube the main spring comes out as the spring guide is part of the buffer tube/recoil assembly so its all one self contained unit.

My scout should be here soon i hope so i will no doubt be messing about with springs at some point in my not too distant future.

I have no idea why, but I am strangely excited for you Phil! Let us know your comparison between the CQB and the Scout varieties!

Looks like I'll be extending my collection with one of these next month!?? Just need to hope those PTS Enhanced Polymer Mags (which look like E-Mags) get released soon!!

see post from page6:

Yeah, that's what he told me as well. So essentially, I guess the safest downgrade solution is to replace both springs using the same calibur (coil strength) and cutting down the rear spring only.

It seems the gearbox spring is easily accessible once the buffer tube is removed (from what I've seen) it seems to just tumble out. Is this correct? This means the gearbox doesn't need to be opened.

It was the rear spring I clipped. But having the stronger spring in the front and the weaker in the back put the weighting off balance. I'm fairly sure it'll be fixed by just balancing the front spring too. But might mean you need a M100 in there rather than the M90 as it'll be both springs that are weaker, so over all will be less powerful. 

Take the stock off. Then on the end of the stock tube is a little cap with a grub screw. Take that off then theres a screw on cap that'll enable you to take the engine out.

At least that's how I think I did it, I don't have the rifle with me at the moment. It is pretty self explanatory once you get that end cap off though.

Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 1

Got it down to 304fps with .25g BB's now by changing the recoil spring for a cut down guarder SP100. it's changed the recoil "feel" though compared to the cqbr. Don't get me wrong. It shakes like a biatch but doesn't have the same impulse or sound now. I'll see how it goes in the field any maybe change the piston head in the future instead.

• Like 1

Got it down to 304fps with .25g BB's now by changing the recoil spring for a cut down guarder SP100. it's changed the recoil "feel" though compared to the cqbr. Don't get me wrong. It shakes like a biatch but doesn't have the same impulse or sound now. I'll see how it goes in the field any maybe change the piston head in the future instead.

Keep coming with the feedback Phil! I could do with your opinions as I was set on getting myself the Scout over the CQBR. So let us know how you get on with changing the combination of springs to determine a better setup that gets you a low fps but retains the recoil kick that you are happy with.

Got two questions, or even three:

First: the cylinder is a standard Marui compatible cylinder or is it some kind of KWA own invention? I'm really tempted to get the cqb and boost the fps by changing the cylinder (this method was mentioned before in this thred) to make it more compatible with local outdoor standard.

Second: anyone fitted a DD MK18 ris? Madbull? The ACM knockoff?

Lastly: how's the grouping on this puppy? Is it OK or is the inner barrel swap necessary (personally a fan of Prommy 6,03).