Magpul PTS RM4 ERG Series.

It's a while since I had the cqbr in bits but a lot of the internals appear to be standard. There's levers and such like on the outside of the shell which are proprietary as is the gearbox shell.

I'm not sure I want to mess about with the springs anymore as the SP100's are quite a bit softer than the stock ones so it'll really affect the feel I think.

Accuracy out the box is okay. I was getting to the end if my garden accurately hitting a little bucket there about 80' away but I'll probably change the rubber for a guarder clear 50deg one as I did in the CQBR. No need to change the barrel though yet.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you're misusing the phrase 'prone to failure', and even if you weren't, the Recoil Shock is a modern design not known for failures to feed or dropping 100fps at random. In addition to that, th

Pics of before and after changing the front end, comp and extending the wiring into the peq box.      

Could just be that we airsofters are a fickle bunch who constantly need to get the latest shiny things.

Posted Images

So which one would you recommend Phil? (I'm hoping you don't say a TM Recoil!!!)

The stock CQBR or the modified Scout with the different kick? Is it a marginal difference in kick or is it enough for you to stick with the CQBR over the Scout?

I presume the longer barrel in the Scout improves accuracy over the CQBR, what do you reckon?

Oh the ERG is better than the recoil I think. I managed to get both models for the price of one TM recoil so...

As to which is better out if the two ERG's. I don't know yet. I've used the CQBR a couple of times now and it just rocks. So much so I didn't even open my other gun box last game day!! If it wasn't for the fact I love the 416 and 417 so much; they'd both be up for sale!!

I will be getting the RIS railed M4 ERG when it's released by KWA, hitting it with some cerakote or KRYLON perhaps for that used look.

Edited by Philbucknall
  • Like 1

I will add to anyone hoping to get a CQBR for the lower fps. I have just received my CQBR and it is firing 365 on a .20g BB, same as my Scout. Not sure if its just a lemon or its a different version. I ordered from HK so that might also be a factor. Just worth keeping in mind. I will be playing around with different springs once I get a chance to pop in to see my local techie. Will update with my findings. 

Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 1

I know it's weird they're putting out different values. Not sure what the issue is really..

How does the recoil feel for you? Does it feel delayed at all? I put an M90 in mine so I presume my recoil change will be a bit worse than yours.. But it was VERY delayed for me.. Im debating trying a m100.. Might have a play with some other springs tomorrow!

Will feedback if I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hmm thats weird. Mine sounded nothing like original at all. I'll get a video of it to describe it tomorrow. Recoil was definitely delayed also. You're right the SP100 spring will be softer.. don't know if it'll take the beating but only time will tell with that. I'm going to head to my local tomorrow and get a M90 spring cut there to give it a go. See what happens. If it drops the power too much it might be worth looking at M140 springs or whatever to get the right fps! Not as strong as the original inside but just a little weaker to drop it down. 

Ok so I've been having some interesting fun with my local techie. 

He had a spring lying around from a King Arms Thompson he downgraded recently. We put that in as it felt a little weaker than the standard gearbox spring. It was similar length, a little shorter but not too short so it shouldn't be an issue. Works out it drops the fps to around 334-340fps consistent. The gearbox sounds the same as usual with the same level of kick.

Apparently the Thompson it came out of was originally doing 440ish fps which means theres a drop of around 100fps. Obviously there'll be a few differences in air seal etc. Interestingly we put a King Arms full length M120 spring into it and it fired around 370fps with no affect to kick or anything else. 

I don't know where it was written that we can't use regular AEG springs but if a full length M120 is doing 370fps I would've thought it was ok to use regular springs. Our only guess is that the shorter stiffer spring is there to compensate for a weaker longer spring. Make your own judgement, but I've put a good 800-1000 rounds through it now with no adverse affects. 

Here is a link to what the difference sounds like from the stock recoil spring and a M90 spring clipped to the same length. 

Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 2

That's how mine sounded!! I thought the whole gun shook more than recoiled with the cut down weaker spring. Is that what you found too?

Okay, based on that I might then put the stiffer recoil spring back in and swap the main spring for a full length M90 or M100 to get the desired recoil.

Cheers for that delta :)

Edited by Philbucknall
  • Like 1

No problem at all! :)

Yeah, do you get what I mean with the delayed recoil? You can hear the weights reset after you hear the shot fire. You're right, definitely shakes rather than recoils, put that stronger spring back in and swap the main spring. Though I would maybe try the M110 or M100 if you're aiming for around 350fps. I reckon a M90 will be around 300fps.

Edited by DeltaZero

Yup that's my theory. I'm pretty much certain with it too. The recoil is the same as when it was stock, it's just firing at a reasonable fps now.

All I did in the end was change the main spring to one from a king arms Thompson. Not sure what gauge spring that is but it does the trick. I managed to nab two for both my RM4s. They are shorter than a standard AEG spring I will say (about 2mm shorter than the stock main spring as well) but a full length worked just fine, when I get a chance I'll get hold of some other springs to work the fps out for each spring strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Edited by DeltaZero
  • Like 1

Received mine today from Firesupport having had a few TM recoils in the past I was very happy with the weight and quality of the Scout. The finish is far superior to the TM's.

They have fitted a Guarder SP100 main spring to mine which is now chronoing at approx. 335, they also fitted a TM hop rubber as apparently it gives a more consistent shot over the stock at UK limits ( I pretty much fit TM rubbers in all my guns anyway as they perform very well at 330fps).

Recoil I would say is about on a par with my old TM cqbr. But its nice not to have the dodgy blowback as well.

Very impressed with the mags as well, although will have to remember to be careful with the follower as it looks a tad week.

Cannot wait to skirmish it in a few weeks.

Overall so far very happy with it for the price and all genuine Magpul bits too.

• Like 1

+1 to the resilient followers. I've not broken one yet. At first I was a bit careful when putting the mags back in pouches during reloads but now I don't really think about it.. they're pretty bendy.. Can't see it making too much of a difference if they do snap off mind you, just means all the rounds wont feed. Might cause issues with the cut off feature too maybe?