What is your backup?

Shinn

For some reason I've never liked the feel on the hicapas. XD I'm just an oddball I guess.

Nothing odd about that at all mate. I much prefer the feel of the single stack 1911. It's much more 'pointable' for a start (to me). This is half the problem for you though, as ergonomics are a completely subjective thing... But your core requirements in my book should be;

TM - Others have metal slides, no doubt more realistic and relevant to what ever impression - but in terms of combat ability, noone comes near.

Reasonably large mags - Less effected by cool down and ambient temperature.

Use heavy ammo - No pistol will straight shoot to 60m plus. But a .30 or above is stable enough in the horizontal axis to compensate for (for want of a better term) ballistic drop. Sights at that point become irrelevant, as you're shooting by feel, viewing your round in flight, and compensating accordingly.

To be honest for SHTF stuff at upto 30m, pretty much any GBB should do the job...

I actually have a TM MK23 (need to replace the hop rubber.) The only issue with that particular pistol is finding a quality holster for it. (I refuse to use 'Universal' holsters.).

Get yourself in touch with a custom gear maker and get one made. I had one made to take mine with the LAM and silencer.

Get yourself in touch with a custom gear maker and get one made. I had one made to take mine with the LAM and silencer.

^^ Fact. There are users that have had some rather nice stuff made from Kydex. Failing that, if you happen to come across a pile of Rocking Horse droppings, with maybe a scattering of Hen's teeth - shove your hand in and it may produce a Safariland for a Mk.23 (or you could try google, but they're few and far between these days).

Edited for spelling fails.

Had someone check out the G18 for me - the barrel was fillthy (poor thing, my fault totally) and not clean again. Let's just chalk this one down to owner laziness.... :)

Lesson here; look after your weapons and they will look after you.

And Thus, this week's cliche quota has also been met. ;)

I actually have a TM MK23 (need to replace the hop rubber.) The only issue with that particular pistol is finding a quality holster for it. (I refuse to use 'Universal' holsters.)

This thing actually holds an MK23 + LAM securely. You just need to take out the interior rails that adapt it for the m9/1911 and put something in to hold the MK23 at the correct depth for the retention. I haven't fully field tested it as I very rarely use my MK23, but it is much better than universal holsters stretched to their max. Having the LAM attached is required for a good stable fit. 

http://www.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10&prodId=13055&cateId=0

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I think I'll be exchanging fire at AEG range I'll carry this instead of my XDM compact:  

DE1.JPG  

Also, grenades:  

IMG_20120202_205910.jpg

I prep the claymore grenades with stakes and fishing line (or zipties and a stapler to attach them to walls if we're doing MOUT), and leave them in my approach if I'm planning to be stationary a while.  The standard Thunder Bs are for going out in a blaze of glory when my pistol is empty.  

If you are lucky enough to do realistic airsoft sniper missions, the Marui Mk23 would be a great choice.  I've had to lie in the weeds and do nothing while my target walked right by, too close to zap with a rifle, because I couldn't risk the noise from my GBB.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived