COFFEE!

I love it, YOU love it, LET'S TALK ABOUT IT!

Espresso or french press, latte's or cortados, let's all talk about our favourite coffees in here.

Personally I'm using an Aero-press at the moment, because it's nice and quick and easy to clean up, and makes some damned good coffee.

Sadly I'm low on funds so I'm struggling by with store bough pre-ground coffee at the moment, but I'm hoping to invest in a nice grinder fairly soon.

Sadly all of the affordable ones are rubbish, and all the ones that aren't rubbish aren't affordable. 

LETS TALK ABOUT COFFEE!!!!!!!!! What's your favourite? What beans are you using? Do you buy pre-ground or grind your own? 

(Please note, this thread may have been created under the influence of copious amounts of coffee.)

Grind it myself normally - have a Gaggia Classic machine to pull my shots. Prefer fresher coffee, I grind enough to generally last a week or so depending on how much I'm drinking, can't really be bothered with doing it in smaller batches, and I find a week in an air tight container keeps it fresh enough.
If I'm doing Turkish coffee I have my "suppliers" grind it as they have a machine capable of a finer grind

Favorite... I switch between the espresso blend and italian blend that the guys I get my beans off make - both seem to work fairly well for espresso (which I generally then turn into latte)

I don't really 'get' coffee.

A jar of kenco or whatever, sugar, and hot water, that does me. Sometimes milk, sometimes not.

Paying £4 or whatever in Starbucks/generic coffee house seems silly to me. Coffee is coffee is coffee in my eyes. I don't mind a cappuccino, but that's as crazy as I like to venture :P

This isn't a wind-up post, I really don't get the expense or pretentious-ness involved in it all :)

Though I hate coffee, I am a huge fan of caffeine. I have 200mg tablets and take them occasionally when I dont wake up right for work, or want to stay out late on a friday night. I normally stop at around 800mg - 1g, but have taken 3g in the past. Its pretty hard to sleep after 3 grams of caffeine.

I'm lazy at the moment, and drink kenco Millicano... For a small step up from bog standard instant, it is a lot nicer. Especially if I'm putting milk and sugar in it anyway.

If I'm bothering with the machine, I'll generally have a chat with the staff where I get the beans. It's always good to try something new, and the selections available are so varied. They grind it too... I just whack it in the freezer.

I get why it all can seem quite pretentious. I'm just one of those people that, if I like something, I want to find the very best of it. :)

This thread is not helping my coffee sabbatical. Tiny tears (coffee free).

Haha! To be fair, I need to detox soon... But the missus doesn't like me very much when I do and I've been putting it off (I'm self aware enough to know I'm a "does not play well with others" when flushing my system of all the junk I throw at it) :P

Keeping on topic, I find most good instant is ok for 'every day drinking', as long as you put the milk in first. Otherwise it's just bitter, grit water... I am a sucker for a Starbucks mocha though. I know it's naughty to spoil good coffee with other stuff... But to be fair, the coffee isn't amazing, so I don't feel too bad :D With cream, and that's a breakfast right there!

Breville burr grinder (no blades near these beans), set to the higher range of "Espresso".  Just grind enough for the brew I'm about to do.  Locally sourced espresso-roast beans.

This goes into the Saeco Magic cappuccino Plus.  I regret to say it, but tamping does make a significant difference (but different pressures of tamping are not discernible).

Limit myself to one large espresso right after lunch.  Mmmmm.  Lots of "crema" floating on the surface.

Though I hate coffee, I am a huge fan of caffeine. I have 200mg tablets and take them occasionally when I dont wake up right for work, or want to stay out late on a friday night. I normally stop at around 800mg - 1g, but have taken 3g in the past. Its pretty hard to sleep after 3 grams of caffeine.

I think I need some of these.  How long does it take for them to have an effect?

Does anyone continuously experience the psychoactive effects of caffeine? Every time I work at a summer job, I find myself drinking coffee in the morning. But as the weeks progress I need WAY more coffee near the end to stay awake than I do during the beginning of the job. This kind of dies out when school starts.

Anyone else have it worse?

while i worked in NY and lived in a small apartment, i used an aeropress, a small, hand held burr grinder and an electronic kettle. at the end of the day, i always watched movies and just ground the coffee i needed for the next day. i was part of a sort of mail order coffee subscription. got a couple of freshly roasted bags of beans a month. good stuff.

only down side of the aeropress is that is strips the coffee of its floral flavors, so there wasn't much to enjoy on the mornings where i woke up late and had no time to add stuff to it.

however, i dont really need coffee to wake up, it comes in handy later in the day when i get tired. i worked for an italian immigrant from rome, so he knew how to make espresso. that was awesome.

I use a Gaggia espresso machine to make my coffee, and I never drink instant unless I'm at a festival or something.

I also get the nice man at the supplier to grind it for me, which works out great when he does it fine enough.

Surprisingly enough though, considering its ludicrously cheap price, some of the nicest coffee I have found for espresso and latte making is ikea espresso coffee. Around £3 a pack, lovely thick crema, and has a certain chocolatey aroma when you open the packet.

I think I need some of these.  How long does it take for them to have an effect?

For me its around 15-20 minutes. THESE ONES are incredible. Be careful with high doses though. One of my mates who has caffeine less frequently than I do, had 3 before a night out, and we had to call the Paramedic who ran an ECG for him. Coincidentally that was the night I had 3 grams worth, so I was more than happy to sit with him all night to make sure he was alright.

Huh, a thread about coffee eh?

I do think that coffee falls under the same for me as fish and cockatils. I don't enjoy them but know how to prepare them well enough.

Though I don't get the 'coffee snobbery' that you get now that seems like wine and such where people start sniffing beans and not much else :P.

'FireKnife'

I like coffee but not so much where it kinda becomes a hobby -I  drink what you can buy in a supermarket but I wouldn't mind getting a bit sack of unground from the market or something just cause. I tend to buy lavazza as you can get triple packs in the supermarket. Aeropress gets the most use - buy far the easiest to clean and imo it tastes better then a french press although the latter has the edge when people are around. also have a moka pot which is great but is a bit of a faff. you can make foamy milk by putting hot milk in one of those protien shaker things to - you need to give it a good shake but the end result is ok. 

I'm not massively in to latte, cappacuio etc. I like them but if the option is there I'll ask to get a filter coffee - tends to be quite a bit cheaper too. No suger but coffee snobbery, like most, is silly. However I have zero time for those ridiculous  drinks you get in chain coffee shops (and it is only chains) that are basically puddings in cups. rule of thumb: if it comes in a cup with a dome, don't drink it... anyway.

If you go into almost any bar or café in France or Spain, you're likely to get a great cup of espresso.  (In Spain, try a cortado too.)  Those extortionately priced thimbles offered by Starbucks don't come close.  It was that experience in Europe that set me on a hunt to replicate (nearly) the flavor in the US.

Coffee is from the udders of Satan.

Honestly I'd actually like to drink coffee and to go to starbucks and write a novel or something but the smell of coffee alone turns me never mind the taste. I dunno if its just my taste pallet but theres just something about it (much like Dr Pepper) that I cant stomach. 

I guess I'll just stick with Tea...

Archived