I've had that civet poop coffee before (shared a cup with the one and only Marlowe, in fact!) It was quite nice but at the same time I couldnt have told you it was any different from a 'normal' coffee.

I used to hate coffee as well, but as I hated tea also, people used to look at you a bit strangely when you turned both of them down.

I found the best 'way in' to coffee is through mochas - its like a hot chocolate that happens to have coffee in it, then once you get used to that taste and enjoy that, you can branch out into different styles of coffee. the more milky ones are always popular (latte, cappucino, etc) but the nicest coffee i've had so far was a cortado - it's pretty much an espresso shot into a double espresso glass with an equal amount of milk in it. Very strong, very flavoursome, very nice!

Also its great for longer journeys because you've only actually taken on about 50ml's worth of fluid ;)

I've never considered buying beans but grinding a weeks worth or so, sounds like quite a good idea.

What grinders are people using?

I use a Krupps Expert - relatively cheap but well regarded burr grinder (well regarded for the price - you need to spend more really - but that's just the coffee snob in me ;) )

It's fairly quick to do a weeks worth (which equates to about 100g of beans for me normally)

Wouldn't mind upgrading to one that's a bit quieter and "portions" the coffee into the porta filter at some point though

Before I got a "proper" a coffee machine I used to use this "froth pot" - essentially a pyrex jug with a "filter on a stick" . You microwave some milk in the jug, then fit the filter on top and pump it up and down a bit to your liking. Did the job fairly well.
Other than making your own device to enable you to steam milk (which needs to pump the steam out at some pressure - not much but enough to introduce air to the milk", or buying something to do it, that's as close as I got.

Tried that Millicano stuff, doesn't really seem to taste much and I even went with a 4 heaped spoon serving.

Blimey... This is in a normal 'mug' sized drink, right?

And I thought I liked mine strong!? :P

This thread has inspired me to drag the machine out from the depths of the kitchen. Time to go bean shopping :)

Time to go bean shopping :)

So, so, so tempted to change shopping to something else but must resist :P.

Either way I seem to be the odd one out in one group of friends as they like coffee and Starbucks, I don't like the drink and hate putting money into a company like Starbucks.

'FireKnife'

Blimey... This is in a normal 'mug' sized drink, right?

And I thought I liked mine strong!? :P

This thread has inspired me to drag the machine out from the depths of the kitchen. Time to go bean shopping :)

That was in a 450ml thermo mug. I was approaching the 24 hour point this morning when I tried it, with 2 and a half hours left of the shift. It's drinkable, just doesn't have as strong a taste as I am used to.

So, so, so tempted to change shopping to something else but must resist :P.

'FireKnife'

Man... I set up a perfect FK post, and you choke! :D

Shame on you! ;)

I'm wading through the ridiculous amount of info the interweb is giving me on different types, grinds etc... The Elephant poo stuff appeals to my sense of humour! :P

It's odd, I like the smell of coffee, but if I try and drink it I just can't get into it. Maybe it's the actual coffee I'm drinking. The last time I actually drank coffee was in London when I was on a course, I needed a pick me up and thought coffee would be a good idea. I think I left most of it in the cafe!

Archived