Archers Unite!

FireKnife

So we have a thread for coffee, pictures of your cat and many other things so here is another one.

Do any of you other unhinged gun nuts like me also partake in launching sharp bits of metal and carbon fibre down a range?

Share your stories, tell me of your woes and if you can post pictures.

Just to start us off my best single shot of last Saturday from the 25yrd line:

2b01.jpg

'FireKnife'

It's been one of those things I've always wanted to get into but never actually done so. A friend of mine bought a cheap recurve bow and and a target and I had great fun launching arrows at that.

I've had a look at bows online, but being a complete noob to them I have no idea what a decent starter bow would be, nor what length would suit me.

The nice thing about my garden is that I've got about 30+ meters I can use and it's all hidden from the public so I can arch all I want. :)

I took up archery a few years ago, but I wanted something fun (I'm one of those obsessive compulsive types that has to have the latest and best toy) so I had a choice to either get a new go faster striped, furry dice, all singing all dancing compound bow (In which case I would have spent hours and hours honing and perfecting my technique and entering any and all competitions) or go so old school that there was no temptation to buy all the extra twiddly bits.

I chose long_b10.jpg

It has about 40lbs at 36" pull.

If you would like to know about the history of the Old English Longbow but don't fancy reading text books, I can highly recommend the Bernard Cornwell Archer's trilogy:

The Archer's Tale-Book One

Vagabond-Book Two

Heretic-Book Three

Elliot.

Putting some thought in taking up archery with bow or crossbow, do you have an good links for online shops and forums.

I don't as of yet but when I have even more spare cash I will be sorting out my own bow, oddly they cost airsoft style prices, like £150 for a basic but useable (like a CM from G&G) all the way up to £1000 for a bells and whistles (Systema like bow etc).

Either way for me it is cheaper than airsoft and sadly it is easier to do up here due to the fact that the others that attend are not inbred morons and are a nice an welcoming bunch. The airsofters up here are mostly decent but you get a few that should just not be allowed near toy guns ever.

Either way I usually go and try to just dial in my targetting to the point of 'all in the white or less, then all in the black or less then all in the blue or less.............'. Also for those that do attend this is without sights, instead using the string, tip and target like a rudimentary iron sight.

'FireKnife'

There's an ex-forces contractor here who likes fencing, airsoft, model tanks and archery.  Had a look over a pretty mean long bow in his workshop and he comes over to the big grassy area straight opposite where I work (which is huge and totally devoid of people, winner) to launch arrows from a traditional English style war bow.  I can just about draw the thing, can't really get a proper shot off though, it's got some crazy poundage to the string.  Literally just getting it strung out of storage prior to shooting takes at least 2-3 big blokes, no hope on your own unless you're Arnie in the Predator 1 days.

That reminds me I need to actual watch Archer :P.

Plus 'shoot' or 'loose off' seem to be the most common terms I have heard. It is fun and reasonable cheap to do. Though what gets me is that to own a compound bow with a reasonable lethal potential range is fine once you hit 18, it just has to be held in a locked box and recurves can be owned freely as they break down into parts, so much for restricting violent weapons eh?

'FireKnife'

My friend says shoot, I've got to go with that.

I guess the "loose" bit is a part of shooting, like the squeeze of the trigger.

You might say you can't shoot without it but there is a lot more to shooting.

10 identical turtle necks or 5 black and 5 a slightly darker black.

If you have a goatee and wear a turtleneck, you look like a late 80s to mid 90s movie bad guy.

Not a strong look.

Or early Steve Jobs :P.

Either way sadly archery is cancelled with weekend due to badminton taking over but it is back with a vengeance next week for me yay.

'FireKnife'

Archived