1989 Panama Delta Woodland Loadout

I'm pretty well into doing my US Delta force operator loadout based on the gear used in Operation Just Cause and Operation Acid Gambit in Panama in 1989 and looking for some advice and pointers from anyone who cares to chime in.

Images and footage of Delta force operating during the invasion aren't too plentiful but I've found a couple of helpful ones .

I'm looking at two possible loadouts, First a standard Delta operator loadout based on this image -

delta_force_panama.jpg

my kitlist for this is -

M733 with overbarrel silencer

US surplus Woodland BDU

US issue jungle boots or hi-tec style assault boots

USGI nomex flight gloves

Pro-tec classic helmet

USGI goggles in dark green

ALICE pack and webbing.

I'm unsure about the webbing because of the quality of the image. It could be a mix of Nam era stuff or others, any thoughts?

and secondly this look from an Osprey book about the Delta Force prison raid -

images.jpg

MP5SD6

US surplus Woodland BDU

US issue jungle boots

USGI nomex flight gloves

full face balaclava

Pro-tec style helmet with ear protection bits.

Oakley style goggles (not sure if they were in business then?)

Delta Vest - Rifleman`s

and what may be an ALICE PLCE harness, a flak vest or something else judging by the collar.

As for the Delta vest O've found a couple of makers but the prices for the real versions are way too much and the majority of modern ones are cross-draw or are missing one of the top pouches. Any ideas?

G5jAC.jpg

So thats as far as I've got at the moment, still searching for the vests, all weapons are either sourced or new conversion parts are on the way and I'm still really unsure on the webbing setups. Any input would be most helpful plus any additional pics of your own attempts or real snaps would be awesome!

In the first picture, the gear they have on is the old USGI LBV with various ALICE pouches on the belt. Then they have some bags and packs, which I cannot identify. 

As for the vest, most that have the cross draw holster on them are cheaper brands. Blackhawk, Eagle, LBT, and others made various versions of the last picture you posted. I am unsure of what brand the one you posted is by, but they're all pretty similar.

• 4 weeks later...

Little late but I figured I'd add this:

qPXXyTp.jpg

Larry Vickers and other Delta guys before the Kurt Muse rescue.

Also this site has some pictures of the raid exhibit at the US Airborne and Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville, NC.

http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t51-delta-force-display-from-just-cause-museum-pictures-originally-posted-by-nkomo

• 2 months later...

Nice article, definitely the sort of weapon that would have been used at that era. It does sound as thought there would have been a whole lot of variants as it was the time the US army was changing over from the full length M16 to the CAR/M4 style so a lot of different types in use.

Am almost there with this loadout, just need to sort the vest and try and get a full protec helmet.

Change from M16A2 as standard was a good decade out, and the M4 wasn't really much more than a badly funded project that was a good five years from being fielded.

Most Delta pics from that period show RO723s. I am fairly certain that the pics with the suppressors are 723s or 653s with early Ops Inc cans. There were also a decent number of XM177E2s floating around, as well as 733s.

Interesting era.

• 4 weeks later...

Still making progress with this. Helmet identified as a pro-tec classic full cut kayak. 

I've found that the standard USGI flak vest in woodland matches the collar and shoulder shape so it must be worn under the vest which I've also ID'd as an early Blackhawk rifleman's vest. Now just need to find either someone in the UK that isn't asking stupid money for one or a US seller who will actually charge real postage.

woodland_vest.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, OP. I noticed you had a thread going about this. The kit list, is I'm afraid, rather obscure for some bits. In the famous embassy photograph, the Delta operators are wearing experimental LBVs along with the experimental CFP-90 patrol rucksack. These latter two bits were designed to mount together to form a vest+rucksack combination by sliding the pack's straps through special runners on the front of the LBV, which is different from the standard 1st gen LBV.

Luckily, some Italian airsofters have put together a very accurate impression based on that same photo along with an extensive kitlist.

http://www.softairmania.it/threads/215389-1989-Panama-1st-SFOD-D

All credit goes to these guys for photos, kit, etc. They did a fantastic job.

• 1 month later...

Still no luck on the exact vest front but I did manage to find an eagle industries vest that is of the right period and only slightly different design.

Goggles wise the mesh ones I was planning on using are a pig to see through in anything other than desert light levels. I picked up a pair of Scott goggles that were a close match but the lense is A. cracked in the middle and B. Flimsy as all hell. No way I'll be using those without lens replacement.

I might try and find a pair of Bolle x500's as they seem pretty close but quite expensive, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Are you by chance referring to the USGI Sun, Wind, and Dust goggles ( http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_eyewear_swdg.php )?

I picked up a set on ebay for just over a tenner. Check the NSNs in the link above. The latter models are ballistic rated, fully sealed and BB safe (but make sure you personally test them first before putting your eyes on the line).

Regardless, this model of goggle would no doubt be very common among all troops, special forces or otherwise, it would not be wholly unfeasible for some individuals to be wearing these (they're even featured in that museum display, for the record).

It may not correspond 100% to those seen in the Opsrey illustration, but as an interim solution, it could work.

Thats good to know. I have a pair of early pattern US dust goggles (50's/60's) and assumed they were all BB unsafe, I may pick up a pair of the more recent ones then as they do seem to be the more popular choice in all the images I've seen.

I did manage to replace the mesh goggles (the ones on the mannequin) with a pair of British army issue Scott goggles that are a pretty good match for the period ones as older oakley stuff is a pain to find in this country and the ones that have survived 20 odd years are worse for wear. The goggles I got have been folded at some point causing cracks in the centre so I'm replacing the lenses with 2mm polycarbonate.

With luck I'll get that all done by this weekend and will be able to get all my gear sorted for an outing with pics to follow!

• 2 weeks later...

Not the clearest of images but the weather wasn't too good -

10155496_736376216393072_228664645966193

Kit list -

Protech helmet in OD

Scott goggles with modified lenses

Helikon balaclava (basic and plain)

M81 woodland uniform

PASGT flak vest in M81 woodland

Eagle Industries tactical vest

Blackhawk kneepads

Nomex pilots gloves in grey/sage

US Jungle boots with panama sole

JG M733

All in a really comfortable loadout to wear, nothing to get tangled or snagged, good for storage, decent protection. A bit of a fogging issue with the goggles but that may have been due to the new lenses not having my usual anti-fog treatment combined with icy winds.

I've recently picked up a Motorola MX300 radio prop, some Alice pouches and webbing along with a hardened rubber M16 bayonet and a US snap link for equipment so a few more bits to add to the list. need to get one of those woodland ruck's to keep it all in now!

Any way to alter the colour of the helmet or remove the decals or have you got a personal attachment to them?

They look a bit too modern, and they kinda stand out, spoiling an otherwise good look. If you look at the pictures posted above, all the Delta guys cover up the decals with a bit of black tape or spray paint it matt black.

Also, I think I found an even closer match to the assault vest, as made by Phoenix Tactical and Special Operations Technologies. It has the same black shoulder pads with the rifle brace and the pistol magazine pouches on the side of the rifle mag pouches. See if you agree with this assessment http://specopstech.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=146_277_281&products_id=1958&page=gov

Otherwise, keep it up. You're doing God's work (well, you're keeping the old-school flame alive, at least).

Yeah the decal and colour of the helmet are late 80's period so I thought I'd leave them as the colour was a good OD for woodland. Not sure weather to fork out £6 on a can of spray paint when my local supermarket has black helmets for £10! Meh, if I do spray it I can always go back.

The vest looks spot on, I'll keep an eye out for a second hand one as the RRP is actually about the same as the whole loadout including the M733!

Archived