• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

It is a VFC.  I bought 2 'Avalon' BCMs, first one got the KMR and needed the thread re-profiling yet weirdly this one didn't.  Exact same model rifle, the die just spun all the way down, shaved off a tiny amount of swarf near the very end but there was basically no resistance.

Edited by CKinnerley
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't like to post any sort of wood work in the same thread as rc, but I'll have to in this instance unfortunately.

15527675174_8a833b86f1_b.jpg

Actual coat of materials directly used was around £7, but more importantly I learnt a lot and now know a lot more about how to build a better one next time around.

Edited by CKinnerley

Gunline checkering set. Due to the stupid hardness of the wood it took me about 18+ hours. You can get an electronic version which is pretty much a glorified Dremel, but cost well over a grand for some reason.

Yeah, ebony's nails.

I'll have to look into one of them, I've always wanted to make myself a set of grips for my 1911...

...and how might one obtain such a device i believe your culture trades "money" for goods and services ? how many monies will i have o give you for one of these?

Problem is the time needed (there's a lot of doing stuff by hand with sand paper that isn't very evident when you look at it) and the fact I'm literally the opposite of an artisan carpenter; but I'd have to charge a fair bit given the time taken and the fact I can only make stuff when I'm home on leave.  While the end result certainly works, it's not perfect by any stretch and not exactly 'high-end' looking either as far as furniture goes.

I rather mis-calculated as well and already own more handguns than the rack can fit.  I can't make it any longer given the space I have, so I'll probably do a version 2 in an upside-down T with the guns back-to-back, using furniture board rather than ply this time.

I didn't have a plan myself.  2 boards of ply screwed together, piece of hardboard pinned on the end (which isn't actually necessary), found a drill bit the same size as the dowel rod I picked up and put in a bunch of holes at the height that worked.  Literally nothing more to it than roughly measuring up the slide/frame lengths of the guns you own (which'll obviously differ for a long barrel D.Eagle collector vs an Officer 1911 collector) and getting the boards cut slightly larger than those measurements.  It could not be any simpler; hence why a monkey like me was capable of making it.  Really nothing to show.

I actually like it for its simplicity plus being modular it could accommodate one of those double barrel 1911s. Would have saved me a lot of work had I seen yours first before making mine. Though my biggest concern is not having the hind sight of making a larger rack. I couldn't even fit half of my handguns in this and that's not even counting ones I'm given for repairs.

IMG_6852.jpg

IMG_6851.jpg

Edited by renegadecow

I think pistols are misleading, I went as big as I physically could and thought I'd have a least a couple of slots free... actually 1 slot short in the end.  Also tricky to be as modular as one would perhaps like using wood given you can't work with very small/thin stuff, hard to make it so the holes are just wide enough to accommodate a variety of handgun types with no wasted space; 1911s are particularly thin.  I think the Gen2 would have at least 2, perhaps 3 rows of holes all slightly out of alignment with each other, so as to maximise efficient use of the space.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...