• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

yes it is... in my excitement upon receiving I through away the packaging...and my carry handle screws. element llm surprisingly good too although batteries were flat on arrival so I assume it drains them if left in. just one bit and I will have a milspec g36 on my hands. But will I happy? time will tell

Edited by Skarclaw

ana7yvus.jpg

Got myself a lonex pmag-style flash magazine and was quite disappointed with how they looked - the locking nuts and general "slightly off" feel about them wasn't great.

So I set about dremelling off the locking nuts and whacking on some skateboard grip tape. I think it turned out quite nicely!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd highlight a couple of things from my recent pur-chases.

12265418935_88b6202bfd_c.jpg

12265851024_9c84bdb470_c.jpg

The WML is great for any gun/s where you don't want something like a Surefire bolted on there all the time and requiring tools to switch around.  Just 2 seconds with the thumb screw and you can move it around to whichever rifle you're fielding that day.

Magpul's entry in to the light mount arena really surprised me, it absolutely blows away every option I've seen in terms of value for money.  When you've just dropped big bills on a quality light it can certainly grind to then have to outlay potentially just as much purely on a suitable mount.  This thing works with any handheld between 0.75 and 1.03", Picatinny mounts and Surefire scout series, all in one.  You'll probably want the right-hand side version if you've got a URX so you're not blocking your front BUIS release button and there can be some slight interferences with a front MBUS if you don't have the light forward of the leading edge of your handguard, but I doubt many people would want to set their gun up in such a way that that issue rears its' head.

Mk.12 Mod. 0 - the best-looking Western DMR out there. Sounds like a no-holds-barred build, what with using what must be the most expensive PTW M4A1 receiver out there. Care to post some photos of the other components thus far acquired?

Yh, it's taking a seriously long time and the bill makes me cry myself to sleep at night but it will be worth it when it's done.

I'll put proper photos up when I'm at home with the DSLR but this can be a placeholder:

Test.png

20140210_210549_RichtoneHDR.jpg

• SGT receiver is here and ready
  • Barrel is here and ready
  • Stock is here and ready
  • Swan sleeve is here and ready
  • Optic is here and ready
  • Peli 1720 Case is here and ready
  • Colt Receiver Parts, Charging Handles Grips etc are in the post from Brownells (see my winging post)
  • PRI Rail, ARMS Mounts, Bipod Mounts, PRI Front Sight (Welded closed to remove the gas ports) and ARMS Rear Sight are all with Arc Precision waiting for Viv to get back from his awesome time in Vegas.
  • Lower Internals have been ordered through Tac and I'm just waiting for them to arrive so I can send it off to be built.
  • Once the Rail etc arrive and lower has been completed it's all getting sent off to Project PTW along with the Peli Case to have the upper assembled, cylinders tuned and the foam cut and sent back to me.

Promising indeed - forgive my excitement! Whose upper are you using - a RS Colt one, or SGT's? (Or a wrong one?) Whose is the barrel - Vanaras? RS Leupold Mk.IV, or something else? And which stock are you going with?

SGTs, can't get my grubby mitts on a RS one, it's hard for even US citizens to get true colt uppers from that time period (the newer uppers have different forge markings). 

Yh the barrel is Vanaras, they are the only people who do a correctly profiles 18" one. I had an airsoft surgeon one but swapped it in favour of the vanaras which has a closer finish colour oddly.

It will be a RS Leupold Mk.IV but as I still have a 1.4k bill for the internals/assembly that will be a post-completion purchase along with a RS PEQ2, until then I'll be using a G&P which is a great external replica, but RS ARMS mounts.

For the stock I've got a RS Colt Buffer and sourced a RS Colt CAR Stock which was used in that time period which I've fitted a RS John Masen butt pad to, that was almost as hard to find as the swan sleeve!

No need to excuse the excitement, I get giddy talking about it!

CAR stock photo:

IMG_1849.jpg

Huh. Thinking about it, is that a kosher combination of parts? I was under the impression that Mk.12 Mod.0s (all built by NSWC Crane?) were built on reissued M16A1 or M16A2 lower receivers (GM Hydramatic or Colt, I think?) and only those might have been accompanied by CAR buttstocks. I thought that only very early SPRs (pre-SPR/A and SPR/B) were stuck on M4A1 lowers; those would have kept their modern M4 buttstocks but would also have the older continuous-diameter handguard and rail. I read a couple of hundred pages of the SPR clone thread on AR15.com awhile back and could have sworn that was how it was done.

Out of interest, does the fast-focus adjustable eyepiece (knurled ring at the extreme rear of the eyepiece) work (and rotate), or is it fixed? I handled a Mk.4 M3 that was sold with a G&P Mk.12 Mod.1 and the eyepiece was fixed, which I thought was a bit of a rip-off considering the ACM ones work just fine.

Edited by PureSilver