"7.62" options?

bobthebuilder

Since my MP5 is clearly on it's last legs, I'm thinking I need a new primary. Looking at MP5 variants lead me to the G3 family, and that got me thinking:

What are my options for a "7.62 nato" style rifle, with a short to mid length barrel?

So far I've found the G3SAS, the MC51 (and it's variants), DSA SA58s, and the various FAL variants.

I know I don't like the M14 and the 7.62 AR variants.

basically I'm looking for feedback on spesific makes and models. for example, JG make MC51s, but are they any good?

If you don't mind the plastic and look for something cheap.

I guess JG is a good run for its money.

I take it the SCAR-H is an 7.62 AR variant to you? Though they are surprisingly compact.

I have a G&G FS51. nice finish and metal, though more expensive.

other than that, there aren't many other options.

If you don't mind the plastic and look for something cheap.

I guess JG is a good run for its money.

I take it the SCAR-H is an 7.62 AR variant to you? Though they are surprisingly compact.

I have a G&G FS51. nice finish and metal, though more expensive.

other than that, there aren't many other options.

Didn't think of the SCAR. and while I don't think of it as a 7.62 AR variant*, if it's anything like the SCAR-L, I'm not sold. I'm not a huge fan of rails, and far as I know, the SCAR doesn't give me a choice in the matter.... Apart from that, it's certainly something to consider.

*My view of what a 7.62 AR variant are things like the SR25 and the HK417, where it's bascially an M4/M16, with a slightly stretched reciever for 7.62 magazines.

There is still Classic army and their SAR m41. But pretty rare nowadays.

I used to have a Fal, but I like the ergonomics of the G3 series better.

Especially the FS51 and it's sleek lower receiver design, much like an MP5.

Wish that G&G would make a rifle sized G3.

Well he did say NATO :P

The G3 has sort of been neglected by airsoft manufacturers. Currently there are at least two makes of MP5 that come with a stamped steel receiver. I wish someone would do the same for the G3.

I was in the same boat as you a while ago, wanted something that I could turn into a realistic DMR. Ended up buying a King Arms FAL.

The G3 has sort of been neglected by airsoft manufacturers. Currently there are at least two makes of MP5 that come with a stamped steel receiver. I wish someone would do the same for the G3.

I was in the same boat as you a while ago, wanted something that I could turn into a realistic DMR. Ended up buying a King Arms FAL.

id love a metal reciever for my jg g3 and mc51 but im buggered if i can find 1

couldnt you use the g&g back end and somebody elses g3 front end to make a full size rifle?

Yeah, I'd love an SRC G3. That would be so awesome - needs gloss black HK style finish too :D

LOL M60e3/e4 is 7.62 also.  The A&K MK43 is a fantastic piece of engineering :P

I personally use a CA SA58 OSW.  Having owned numerous G3s, G3SBSs, MC51, HK33, SLR and FAL, I find that the Ergonomics of the G3s only marginally better than the FAL/SLR (sight to bore is around the same, as is the curvature of the stock). 

The Advantages of the G3 is the slim lines of the lower receiver, but in the end between the KA FAL/ARES SLR/CA SA58s, the SA58s are the most comfortable.

The advatanges of the SA58 is that:

-it has a good solid barrel trunion, unlike the G3/HK33

-it has a good solid HBAR (compared with G3s and the ARES SLR)

-It is accurate out of the box (unlike the KA FAL, ARES SLR, or G3 where it does require more work)

-it has an integrated non-shifting low mount scope rail (compared with the G3)

-It has a M249 grip (more comfortable than the KA FAL or the SLR)

-2 screws field strip to the barrel (unlike the KA FAL)

-Front sights don't move while knocked, unlike the ARES SLR

-Can get folding stock version vs solid stock

-It has a V3 mechbox.

Downsides are:

- CA trigger switches melt, though the QP version doesn't

- Its still too light (G3 and the KA FAL was light, the ARES SLR was the right weight)

- Rubber Butt plate can fall off.

- The mag release tab was designed to be quick and accessible but when bushbashing/crawling your mags may go for a wander

- Its electric

MC-51

GYGY-EGF-051-FIX_MARK1_1.jpg   I love this RIF btw :)

I've had one of these for a few years and its as solid as a rock, reliable, fairly high RoF, it's also quite compact (it's roughly the same size as a full stock MP5). The only downside I've found is sourcing non King Arms mids for it (DAMN YOU TO HELL PRO ARMS WITH YOUR IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND MIDS, also MAG FOR FFS FILL THE GAP IN YOUR PRODUCT LINE.) If you want it more 'tacticool' you can get this version.

gg_fs51_fs_1.jpg

Much easier to accessorize.

FAL: tactical carbine

ka-ag-03-tc_1_mark.jpg

Heard good things about the KA and QP versions of this AEG. But don't own one.

Other than these two your options are CQB variant SCAR-H (still quite a big RIF though), M14 SOCOM, M14 EBR (short barrel version),  and thats it I think.

MC-51

[ig=  ]http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/G/Y/GYGY-EGF-051-FIX_MARK1_1.jpg]   I love this RIF btw :)

I've had one of these for a few years and its as solid as a rock, reliable, fairly high RoF, it's also quite compact (it's roughly the same size as a full stock MP5). The only downside I've found is sourcing non King Arms mids for it (DAMN YOU TO HELL PRO ARMS WITH YOUR IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND MIDS, also MAG FOR FFS FILL THE GAP IN YOUR PRODUCT LINE.) If you want it more 'tacticool' you can get this version.

[ig=]http://www.airsoft-arena.com/media/products/resized/800x/gg_fs51_fs_1.jpg]

Much easier to accessorize.

FAL: tactical carbine

[ig=]http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/a/ka-ag-03-tc_1_mark.jpg]

Heard good things about the KA and QP versions of this AEG. But don't own one.

Other than these two your options are CQB variant SCAR-H (still quite a big RIF though), M14 SOCOM, M14 EBR (short barrel version),  and thats it I think.

Would I be right in thinking that the MC/FS-51 use standard MP5 handguards? it's looking seriously attractive, especially as I've found it cheaper than the other options.

also, if anyone knows who stocks that second one with the side folding stock and RIS system, I'd be very interested, I've only seen the fixed stock version.

No, he said he didn't want a AR-style gun and that's basically what the 417 is.

Indeed. Reading is a challenge for some, an abstract for others. :D

The FS 51 doesn't use a standard MP5 handguard.

It has the looks of an MP5 ambi handguard, - the ambi selector, + with a G3 selector switch.

I am looking into making mine ambi, with MP5 pasts.

It has the looks of an MP5 ambi handguard, - the ambi selector, + with a G3 selector switch.

it was too early in the morning for me and ive not had my coffee, my apologies.

i do however like this and i usually don't like the FAL

3228999351_c74e8d1f74_b.jpg

I think we may be talking across-purposes.

I'm referring to the front end, where the rail system goes on the folding stock version, rather than the lower reciever where the trigger and selector are fitted (I know that's G3 based)

sorry. there you have it, that's my mistake. :D

That's the same in length. But I don't know if there are other dimensions you need to look at.

The G3 upper receivers end is wider than then the MP5 receiver. I know that some RIS only fit the MP5 and are too narrow for a G3/MC51.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a KA FAL for almost 4 years now. I only had minor problems. I used it on 330 fps, later upgraded to 400, because unexperienced players didn't feel the long-range hits. It has outstanding range and accuracy. I remember one time i was beyond a cover with a sniper during a low-intensity contact. The enemy players were beyond a hill about 55-60 metres away, but one's helmet was showing. I told the sniper, but he said that it's too small surface and too far. I grabbed the FAl, fired three shots and hit the helmet.

as an update, I went with the G&G FS-51

turned up firing way hot (we don't know quite how hot, but it was clearly firing >350. well above the 328 it was supposed to be doing (according to G&G themselves)

And the mag has a dodgy ratchet.

still, apart from those niggles (one easily sorted) it's a very nice bit of kit, I'm impressed.

Archived