Building a Vintage Gun Case

renegadecow

I'm planning on building a proper, vintage looking carrying case for my shooting irons, loosing favor in my old method of stuffing them in individual gun sacks and tossing in my duffel bag. I just need something with more class. Now, the exterior construction I'm just about familiar with, just not decided on hardwood or leather/vinyl cladded. The interior however is where I'm having real trouble figuring out. Traditional cases have compartments separated by rigid sections all covered in felt as shown below:

case2.jpg

I've never actually seen one up close so I can't tell exactly what the dividers are made, how they're attached and how the felt is cut. Are the sections separate pieces covered in their own sections of felt or are the sections built in the box first then painstakingly covered with some complex cut/patterned sheet of felt? Failing that I could copy TMs method of fancy packaging; styrene cutout covered with some fancy velvety cloth. Much easier to do, and more secure than box compartments, but I imagine the cloth with start looking sloppy with all the compartments it has to fold into. Right now I'm planning for the case to hold three revolvers, a Derringer and replica vintage box of cartridges in a corner.

I would think the dividers would be pinned as well as glued.  Drill the dividers first with a 1mm drill and use 4mm minimum for dividers

Use hard brass wire if possible, as it won't rust if the box gets wet or damp.  The best brass wire is called 'pin wire' and is used by watchmakers. It comes in a slim tube with either an assortment or a single size.

Leave about 6mm protruding from divider, the use the divider to mark the the felt covered bottom board.

Hotels often use felt as a covering for tables at meetings and is usually only used once then thrown away.

the slats would be recessed into the bottom. You can do this with a router. Once covered in felt the slats would have been glued into the recess. Modern wood glue is stronger than the wood it's being used to bond.

The felt can be applied by using contact adhesive (apply to both wood and felt, wait 10 minutes then attach).

The picture you show above has 3 brass hinges but a lot of cases would have used a full length piano hinge held in place with slotted brass screws.

If you want that really special look then make the sides join using doveltail joints. You can buy a jig for that nowadays but doing it by hand will give the box an older look as it won't look machined.

and lastly consider a brass mortise lock to keep it all secure.

Slotted, glued and pinned does sound like the proper way in doing it, but now seems like a daunting task considering I'm making it hold multiple guns. My thoughts are veering towards cutout styrene being easier, but I can make the hollows angular to give a similar effect to the traditional paneled version. Basically it would look like the paneled one but the areas that don't hold anything will be covered up with felt. Exterior, I'd need to use good hardwood to make it look good. A bit costly so I'm leaning towards plywood construction with leather/vinyl covering:

lot-b-109.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got started in making my case. Adam's is cool, just a bit too big for just the one gun, but the construction is sound. I'm using 1/4" plywood, but being scrap some of it's warped and needs straightening first.

edit:

Regarding violin cases, I used to use mine way back, but learned to have guns properly secured either by ties or individual compartments. Consequence was my S&W M500's rear sight getting busted when the case was accidentally dropped off a table. 

Leon's main gun case - the suitcase one. Everything you'll ever need, as well as space for two cartons of milk to attract jail bait :D

These are the kind of projects that interest me, but I always wind up planning and never getting around to the building :(

These are the kind of projects that interest me, but I always wind up planning and never getting around to the building :(

Said every airsofter ever.

You have to find time I think. A rather bad breakup with the missus and a job transfer that's left me with ample free time helped my desire to build. Gives me something to pour my anger and frustration into.

But that's just my two cents in another mans thread.

While my plywood is left outside to straighten out for the next few days, here's what my intended layout is to look like. Case is 21" x 10 1/2" x 2 1/2". Box of cartridges still needs vintage labels and some yellowing. And do I use felt paper or felt cloth for the lining?

IMG_5344.jpg

edit:

While I'm at it, I was thinking of doing a period riverboat/traveling gamblers case as well. Basically a case that opens up to a small Craps table with compartments for chips, dice, a deck of Pharo cards, a gun (probably Derringer) and a boot knife/one of my straight razors. No real purpose other than looking cool.

Archived