TM M870 TO SPAS 12 CONVERSION

seagullman

This sub-forum really needs renaming - it's called Project Suggestions but it's not for just saying 'I think someone should make a death star', it's for documenting builds in-progress. So unless you're making a SPAS this thread will probably die pretty quickly/get closed

I built a gas-powered shell-ejecting SPAS using Maruzen parts. The SPAS has a very chunky, roomy body, perfect for fitting new internals to. I think it'd be a piece of cake, relatively speaking. Certainly easier than casting the front end to fit a new magazine tube and then accommodating a moving bolt.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't the SPAS 12 both semi auto and/or pump? Selected by the user or am I getting confused again.

Yeah, but in practice it's never used in pump-action mode in combat. It's a semi-automatic combat shotgun with a secondary pump-action mode intended solely for cycling low-pressure rounds like beanbags for police use. Hollywood is primarily to blame for it being primarily depicted as pump-action, because the gas system (like much of the rest of the weapon) is an overengineered failure of a design and getting it to cycle reliably with blanks is extremely difficult, so most filmmakers take the easy way out.

Yea but in most games it usually has a faster pump cycle than others in its same family of shotguns.

On topic though I'm curious on how you would go about sorting out your gas tank. I mean the stock one wouldn't work to save your life here.

I don't know if you have enough room it may be a interesting concept to use the faux magazine tube as the shell for a new elegated gas resevior and just tap the end or make it removable for charging.

Alot of this is as others have said depends on whether your going to have this be pump action and if you are going to try and get some working fake bolt cover.

Personally, I'd get a cheap, CO2 NBB pistol, chop it up, and use it to power the shotgun.  Up the FPS enlarging holes in the valve, and make a custom feeding mech to load 3-5 BBs in the chamber.  Have the CO2 mag go in the pistol grip of the SPAS so its replaceable, and feed BBs via separate magazine or shell.

Archived