Blackhawk Omega Cross Draw Vest

I like CQB actions, so I thought I should get a vest for my M15A4 and a sidearm loadout. The blackhawk vests caught my eye, and I had two options: one is to get a vest with a drop leg holster, and the other is to get a cross draw vest. After reading the review on the blackhawk omega cross draw vest in the gear review sectionv( http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/r...vest_review.htm ), I decided to get the cross draw vest for its efficiency and low drag.

The real blackhawk costs about $120, but I saw this replica on ebay that's only $40, and the seller has a decent rating, and some of the guys here said the goods the seller carries are not bad, so I decided to get this cheap replica to see if I really like it.

vest1.jpg

The replica is by Haynes West End, apparently a company based in England, and there's a card in the vest that says "Thatchreed" and "tracpac", so I guess one of those is the brand name. There are also other replicas of this BH cross draw vest, and I'll point out the differences as I go.

First, the seller advertised the vest being made by Black Cordura Nylon. Knowing nothing about fabric or clothing, can't comment on that, but you can see it in the picture, and it looks very different from the material used for the real BH vest (see the review in the gear review section).

There are 3 rifle mag pouches on the right side, and each fits two M4 mags perfectly.

mags.jpg

Some other replicas I saw has 4 rifle pouches with the extra one on the holster side, but the real BH cross draw has just 3.

There's one utility pouch above the rifle mags, and can hold my grenade, or other things you want to put in there. The cover has velcro for name tags or patches.

Above the utility pouch, is the pad for shouldering rifles.

On th left, there's the pistol holster. On the pistol holster, there's one pistol mag pouch, and above the holster, there are three additional pistol mag pouches. The holster is not removable and the position is non-adjustable (I think some other replicas of the vest can adjust the holster location to some degree). It is also quite small. I found that my M9 and G17 can fit in it very tight, but my P226 can not go in the holster.

holster.jpg

The pistol mag pouches are also short, and with my M9 mag in, it's pretty tight, but fits nonetheless. It can also fit a G2 Surefire.

pistolmag.jpg

Above the pistol mag pouches, there's a small pocket that can fit a cell phone without antenna, but if the phone has antenna, the pocket can not be closed.

On the inside, there are two zippered pocket for maps, one on each side, and a hydration holder on the back. I can put my 1.5L Hydobak in the holder with no problem at all, I think a 2L Thermobak would fit too.

inside.jpg

On the buttom of the vest, there's belt loops for utility belt.

I'm medium built, 1.8m (5'11"), and I feel pretty comfortable wearing the vest when standing, but I also feel that anyone's smaller than me might feel the vest a bit big. Using a rifle sling could decrease the comfort. Since it's a cross draw vest, the "off-side drop" 3 point sling stlye is not apropriate, but the "military patrol" style (see http://www.spectergear.com/carryoptions.htm ) works fine, or just don't use the sling.

The built of the vest seems to be all right, I can't spot obivious points of failure, but if I have to choose one, I'd say the pistol holster is the weakest link (not the holster itself, but how the holster is attached to the vest, but this is just pure guess). Well, only time could tell. If it breaks anytime, I'll update this thread.

vest.jpg

Edited by Shao14

thats a good review i own a black hawk cross draw vest i find with a 3 point sling its fine im around 5.5 tall medium build and it still fits ok only have a glock 26 so i can not comment on the pistol holder just becarful as the pistol mag might come out happends on drop leg holster too.

ive added a dump pouch on the belt as it easier to put mags there instead of trying to put them back in the pouches while playing

Edited by sd6
thats a good review i own a black hawk cross draw vest i find with a 3 point sling its fine im around 5.5 tall medium build and it still fits ok only have a glock 26 so i can not comment on the pistol holder just becarful as the pistol mag might come out happends on drop leg holster too.

ive added a dump pouch on the belt as it easier to put mags there instead of trying to put them back in the pouches while playing

I expect the real BH holster can fit the P226 and some other pistols. Yea, I need a dump pouch for the empty mags too. :)

Wow! Your baclava looks amazing! :D

I've an actual Omega Crossdraw EOD vest, and no, the holster can't handle a very large frame pistol. My Glock 19 fits well, as does my M9. However my SV type WAs don't fit. This makes us a sad kitten.

Also I agree on the size issue... I'm not exactly small (6'3" and 175lbs) and without body armor it's very close to being as small as it gets on me.

• 4 years later...

I've got a real one, rifleman configuration with the cross draw in OD green... build is pretty damn good but it's one of my least favorite LBV's to wear. I find it rides up on me far too much, even with the vest adjusted properly, because of the slickness of the nylon on the inside of the vest. I tried using the built in belt attachment but it's bulky and cumbersome to don and doff and is very uncomfortable.

The hydration bladder holder in the back of the vest is virtually useless; I own 3 blackhawk bladders and they're great, but I keep them in a separate back because in the vest the bladders move around and aren't held in place well. When I play I'm often on the ground, going prone and rolling on my back, so I really don't like it when a hydro bladder is poking at my back awkwardly.

The pockets of the vest are usable with STANAG mags, but just. I expected a company like blackhawk to size their mag pouches a little more liberally for two mag use, but alas it's very difficult to get two mags in each pouch. the pistol mag pouches seem to be made for pretty long pistol mags, as my USP mags aren't enough to fill up the whole space. Idk if this is blackhawk designing the vest for use with all types of mags, even those with extended baseplates, but I really don't like it when my pistol mags are bouncing around in my LBV. Word of warning: DO NOT USE PMAGS WITH THIS VEST as it's not big enough to hold 2 of them in a pouch and even when holding one Pmag the mags get stuck on the walls of the pouch and take a split second longer to extricate. I recommend getting a dump pouch.

The pistol holster is JUST big enough for my USP, which is a pretty chunky gun. It fits my Sig 220 like a glove and my M9 is a little too bulky for it, tho I'd never use my M9 with that vest just because of the weight distribution of the pistol, especially loaded with 17 rounds of 9mm. I recommend a drop holster and avoiding the crossdraw unless you're running and airsoft gun or a Glock/similar weight pistol.

As for the rubberized shoulders, I do like how much grip they give for a rifle, but I find them a little bulky. I tend to pull my 416's stock in to the shortest setting when I'm using the vest. Still when firing a real gun, it's nice to have the extra grip, especially with things like my Saiga 12 shotgun, which has no traction on the back of the stock.

The nylon on the vest is very good quality; I don't think the vest will wear out from use unless it was badly abused, which is a shame as I'd like to replace it due to how annoying it is to use and the pockets. I just keep it around as a secondary LBV and a "just in case" item for my real gear.

I give it a 3/10 due to the build quality being good, but it's an expensive and for the most part annoying piece of gear.